Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Newbee with a big transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 10:01 PM
FBoy110
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbee with a big transmission problem

so I got another engine put in my sc300 and now my transmission wont shift into O/D
the O/D light isint flashing or anything and the mechanic said the tranny has gone bad
so then I change out the transmission and torque converter and still the same problem
O/D switch works fine and I also changed out my coolant temp sensor and still the problem is there
now sometimes when Im driving around town it will start to shift into O/D
and everything will work fine for maybe 15-20 mins from 1st to 4th but then all of a sudden it will jump out of O/D and into 3rd and wont go back into O/D
for now I have disconnected the plug on the transmission that controls the shifting and Im shifting manually
Please someone help me with this
could it be the Ecu or what
Please help
Old 09-07-08, 10:24 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Make sure the plugs are snug < ecu, sensors, plugs> check oil. Also provide some info about the car...........
Old 09-09-08, 12:31 AM
FBoy110
Driver School Candidate

its a 92 sc300, when i bought the car it had coolant in the oil but still drove so i drove it home and the tranny shifted fine, parked the car for about a year
after that i replaced the engine and thats when the problem started
and i triple checked all the connections and even had the mechanic check them
the replacement engine and tranny are from a 93 sc300 with 78xxx miles on them
im going to rewire the speed sensors and the coolant temp sensor and see what happens
any advice on anything else to look at would be awesome
Old 09-09-08, 12:34 AM
FBoy110
Driver School Candidate

oh by the way, does this car have a limp home mode or something and if it does
what does it cause the car to do
Old 09-09-08, 07:15 AM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had a shop replace the engine, and the transmission had no problems before hand, and now it does, I'd be taking the car to that shop and yelling at them, lol.
Old 09-09-08, 11:44 AM
FBoy110
Driver School Candidate

its not the transmission, something is wrong with the electrical part
i just dont know where to start looking
i checked my tps and my coolant temp sensor, i think the speed sensor works because the speedo works
Old 09-09-08, 04:35 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FBoy110
its not the transmission, something is wrong with the electrical part
i just dont know where to start looking
i checked my tps and my coolant temp sensor, i think the speed sensor works because the speedo works

Don't count on that; I just did R154 swap and don't have a speed sensor, but my speedo still works. The car uses some other mechanisim to determine your speed, no idea what it is. I have a 98 so maybe it's different....
Old 09-13-08, 10:09 AM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

I am having a similar issue. Car will not shift into OD at all. Just started doing it one morning a couple weeks back. I am getting no codes when I check for them. I have been reading and looking all over the internet for ideas as well. I was going to try swapping out the coolant temp sensor on mine today to see if that may be the problem. I do not think it is the transmission on mine either, I think it is electrical and that is why I have not bought a replacement transmission yet.

What plug did you unplug that allows you to shift in manually to check all of the gears?
Old 09-13-08, 10:44 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting the same problem with my 92 300... My tech told me that it could be the speed sensor inside the tranny so i dont know what i'm going to do its not a good thing to be dealing with.
Old 09-13-08, 11:30 AM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

There are three solenoids in the transmission pan, but from what I have read several people with this problem (not shifting to O/D) have swapped them out and it has not fixed heir problem. If they were having a 1-2 or 2-3 shifting problem swapping them out seems to fix them. Actually, I have not talked to anyone on hear yet that had a shifting into O/D problem that has figured out what the problem was. A lot of people driving around in 3rd gear I guess...lol.

sTcT300 have you pulled codes to see if that tells you anything?
Old 09-13-08, 12:47 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CEL code 71 EGR currently trying to either clean it out or delete ???? but thats the only code I get
Old 09-13-08, 01:53 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friends speed sensor went out on him (Infinity I30) and it was doing similar symptoms. It wasn't 100% the same he was also having some hard shifting and sometimes wouldn't change gears. He would clear the code and it would take sometimes up 2 weeks for it come back on. So don't rule out the sensor yet. Maybe with manual transmission the sensor isn't as big as a factor. Good luck guys.
Old 09-13-08, 02:08 PM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

Where is the coolant temp sensor on a '95 SC300?
Old 09-14-08, 11:56 AM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

I found this and have been reading through it to help me trouble shoot why it will not upshift from 3rd to O/D.

http://www.wjw.co.uk/Toyota/95%20Sup...e%202JZ-GE.pdf

Here are some points listed that would stop O/D from engaging:

HINT:
(1) O/D Gear Up–shift Prohibition Control.
• Coolant temp. is 60°C (140°F) or less.
• If there is a 10 km/h (6 mph) difference between the set
cruise control speed and
• vehicle speed.
• O/D main switch is pushed ON.
• (During O/D OFF, indicator light lights up.)

I still can not find the coolant temp sensor on the engine though, or any specs that would allow me to check resistance to see if it is operating properly or not.
Old 09-14-08, 01:03 PM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FBoy110
so I got another engine put in my sc300 and now my transmission wont shift into O/D
the O/D light isint flashing or anything and the mechanic said the tranny has gone bad
so then I change out the transmission and torque converter and still the same problem
O/D switch works fine and I also changed out my coolant temp sensor and still the problem is there
now sometimes when Im driving around town it will start to shift into O/D
and everything will work fine for maybe 15-20 mins from 1st to 4th but then all of a sudden it will jump out of O/D and into 3rd and wont go back into O/D
for now I have disconnected the plug on the transmission that controls the shifting and Im shifting manually
Please someone help me with this
could it be the Ecu or what
Please help
After reading most of that file that I linked above, check to make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly. That could be a possibility for you since you just had the engine replaced. Adjustment is shown on page 43 (ATI-43).

Quick Reply: Newbee with a big transmission problem