Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 11:33 AM
sneakyazn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ maintenance

I saw that another forum member was selling hsi car because he said the maintenance on his turbo'd car was too high. What type of additional maintenance costs are you guys noticing with having a 1JZ or a turbocharged car?
Old 09-01-08, 11:45 AM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

why do you think these motors where pulled out of their JDM bodies(cars)????
Old 09-01-08, 12:35 PM
IS300drift
Driver School Candidate

uhh. in japan its a whole different story. the has to do with the TOTAL vehicle check which is VERY expensive.

1jz as like any other motor depends on how you drive it, change the oil and fluids regularly and you wont have a problem. my s13 is making 396 on a sr for over 2 years now and not a damn problem the car is daily and tracked like a *****. so pick it up and take over his loss. unless theres something wrong with it!
Old 09-01-08, 01:13 PM
Dr Tweak
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Yeah, just give it good clean oil (change it regularly) and you won't have a problem

-Doc
Old 09-01-08, 03:58 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

regular maintenance is not the problem that hurts the most. It's non-maintenance problems that hurt like water pumps, belts, etc. Some of these parts can't be swapped with their 2JZ counterparts. They have to source them from places that have these parts that can get a little pricey. Just don't drive the car every day and when you do don't drive the wheels off the car all the time. Treat it gingerly and it will last a long time.
Old 09-01-08, 04:07 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
regular maintenance is not the problem that hurts the most. It's non-maintenance problems that hurt like water pumps, belts, etc. Some of these parts can't be swapped with their 2JZ counterparts. They have to source them from places that have these parts that can get a little pricey. Just don't drive the car every day and when you do don't drive the wheels off the car all the time. Treat it gingerly and it will last a long time.
ya, some parts you can't get the same day at a dealer or at a parts store but for the most part there are ton's of online shops that source parts for the 1j one of the most difficult items for the 1jz is the infamous muffler bearing, however driftmotion has come to the rescue with several in stock its only 14$ too super jdm tyte yo

http://store.driftmotion.com/Static/...lerbearing.php
Old 09-01-08, 04:10 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

what does the muffler bearing do? o_O
Old 09-01-08, 05:07 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's gets expensive changing the fluid in my headlights...Haha, Naw seriously, Hell the maintenance on my 1998 Ford Ranger is way higher than then my 1jz'd SC. And the ranger is still in front of the house with emission problems, check engine light. My SC after almost a year required just oil change and fluids. Now I will be replacing my timing belt and assec. belt but it's so easy to find those it's a no brainer. I have found other parts for the engine is easy to locate and relatively cheap to purchase. Hell I am thinking of dropping a 1JZ in the Ford Pickup and call it a day.

LMAO- Muffler Bearing, Reminds me of the A.S.H. receiver on the CH-47D Chinook helicopters, when I was in the army. We have the newbies go and clean them out. But they could never find it among all the radios. A.S.H. receiver = Ashtray.
Old 09-01-08, 06:37 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah dude 1J is hella reliable.
Old 09-01-08, 07:07 PM
sneakyazn
Driver

Well I have a 1jz on the way from Florida (finally got on the shipping truck) and I saw that thread so I was curious as to what I have to plan for in regards to extra expenses. I saw a reply above that says you can't use it as your daily driver. Is there any particular reason for that? I intend on using it as a daily driver and I read that the 1jz was fairly reliable, am I mistaken?
Old 09-01-08, 08:09 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sneakyazn
Well I have a 1jz on the way from Florida (finally got on the shipping truck) and I saw that thread so I was curious as to what I have to plan for in regards to extra expenses. I saw a reply above that says you can't use it as your daily driver. Is there any particular reason for that? I intend on using it as a daily driver and I read that the 1jz was fairly reliable, am I mistaken?
I have been using mine as a daily driver since last november and it hasn't failed me once. Well actually one time, but it was my fault, while driving the car inexplicably stopped running, lost all power. Popped the hood and found that the battery cable has worked it's self lose. A quick fix and I was back on the road. I drive 80+ miles daily. My GS430 just sits in the garage. Trust me if you found a good quality vehicle in which the last owner took care of it, you shouldn't have problems with it. The only time my car has seen the shop if for oil changes and mods. Next scheduled mod is Boost Cut Controller and Upgraded rotors and pads. After than suspension work, coilovers or struts/springs. My car never burn oil I have a spare alternator, ps pump just in case. Drive it like a lexus and not like a hyper supercar.
Old 09-01-08, 08:22 PM
sneakyazn
Driver

Thanks bro, that's reassuring to hear. The previous owner seemed like he took pretty good care of it, but we'll see once I get it in person and am able to bring it to my mechanic to run tests.
Old 09-01-08, 08:28 PM
sneakyazn
Driver

By the way, is there a chart/schedule out there for when fluids and general maintenance needs to be done? Or do people just follow the typical edmunds.com schedule?
Old 09-01-08, 08:45 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

For Oil Changes, due to the installed Turbos, Mobile 1 syn and since I drive 80+ a day I do it every month. Everything else I use regular SC300 schedule. But again depends or your driving habits, environmental conditions and other factors. I know have a brake fluid flush coming up.
Old 09-02-08, 12:38 AM
IS300drift
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sneakyazn
By the way, is there a chart/schedule out there for when fluids and general maintenance needs to be done? Or do people just follow the typical edmunds.com schedule?
BASIC REGULAR MAINTENANCE. every 3 months if you dont abuse it. i change my stuff every 2-4 events. basic knowledge dude and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: 1JZ maintenance