Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Few preformance product questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 02:45 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Few preformance product questions

Hey Fellow Lexus owners, have a few questions about some products... If you own them, use them or has a friend that does, please speak up

Im in the market for some plugs and wires, along with an updated coil(s)

was wondering if any one was running Vitek wires?

Any others? Preference's and reasons why ?

Thoughts on plugs? right now looking at

Halo Performance Spark Plugs
http://www.haloplugusa.com/default.aspx

im looking for some plugs not only for regular maintenance but also for power gain

Any others have a preference?

ALSO looking at TYPE"MR"Hyper Voltage System
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=639

It states "igh performance Voltage Tuning Our original design utilizes the latest technology to stabilize the voltage in your vehicle. H.V.S. can release your vehicle's full potential H.V.S. is an innovative new product for harnessing the full potential of your vehicle's electrical system. *Increased torque *Increased throttle response *Brighter headlights *Reduced audio noise *Improved fuel efficiency *Longer battery life 1.An LED light indicates proper operation(flashes intermittent red/green) 2.Built in safety feature,which will not damage the vehicle even if the terminals are connected to opposite lead wires. 3.Wire are high-quality,thick gauge 99.99% pure copper with multi layered shielding. 4.The unit is constructed using high-precision"

Anyone use this? does or should i say, COULD it add power? would it be a good investment?

your thoughts are valued, thank you for your time
Old 08-22-08, 03:15 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Need advice, anyone?
Old 08-22-08, 04:09 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those plugs seem fishy, something never seems right to me about those, but im probably just an idiot
Old 08-23-08, 01:29 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Rock on, anyone else?
Old 08-23-08, 02:49 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

I have the Hyper Voltage System on my car along with the grounding wires. I did notice it was smoother in the mid-range RPMs but it's probably more due to the fact that the stock 14 year old ground wires were in poor condition.
Old 08-23-08, 06:08 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MR voltage system worse money spent imo. For a while i had power problems and it turned out that sucker, acts as a capacitor basically, was sucking up the power from the battery. so when i was at a stop, instead of the power getting to the wideband, afc, etc etc. it was getting sucked up by the capacitor. Besides, if you have a working alternator, you won't need this capacitor. While the engine is running, the power is drawn off the alternator.

*edit, also noticed that when i had it on, my idle was low 600s, took it off and now i'm at a good 700-800 rpms keeping my alternator working. (200amp alt)
Old 08-23-08, 06:48 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Excellent thats the kind of info im looking for, thanks man i really appreciate it

now im not into all this electrical mumbojumobo, how would a capacitor "Add horsepower and torque" and all this other stuff they claim?
Old 08-23-08, 07:35 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

capacitor doesn't add "horsepower and torque." It's all mumbo jumbo just to sell a product. It's "theory" is that it stores excess electrical power in its capacitor in a time when the engine needs it for spark. If you really think about it, at the point when the engine is on, it's running off the alternator for the electrical power to create the spark. So basically, it's a capacitor for nothing. It just stores power when the engine isn't really going to need it. The only reason why you would probably feel a difference in installing it is pretty much because you'd be disconnecting the battery, which is what you have to do to install it.
Old 08-23-08, 07:43 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Have you thought of a BFI intake, and maybe some weight reduction. Also the 400s have a center cat. conv. that can use improving on, were the 2 header pipes come together.
Old 08-23-08, 09:17 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Yeah currently i have made my own intake, involving a strait alluminum pipe leading to the stock box, then another from the box to the front passanger side opening on the stock 97+ bumper

also the exhaust ports are bored out, as well as a stand alone that deletes my maf, Looking for more parts, new TC on the way, as well has some new wires and plugs, trying to beef it up as much as i can, then maybe heading down the road of a rear mount set up, still researching

thanks all for the information keep it coming =)
Old 08-23-08, 09:42 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

I would also say dont get the Hyper Voltage System since it is a pricey product it being just a capacitor. I got mine from a member on CL for dirt cheap so that's the only reason I have it.

I haven't experienced the problems LexAnt had but I'll see what happened when I upgrade my alternator.
Old 08-23-08, 10:54 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

well i'll also keep it updated when i install my ekt/imf headers. they just arrived and i'm goin to go headers -> 2.5" cats -> mandrel bent piping to a 3rd 3" center cat -> JIC catback exhaust.

Last i checked on the dyno, it was 209rwhp with no tuning. I still haven't had time to properly tune out the a/f ratio. I think that dyno was with a couple dips into the 12s where I wanted 13-13.5s. Also, I'm thinking of switching over to a Map Ecu2 once I find someone who knows how to tune ignition timing. I know this would add a good amount of power from first hand experience.

When I was looking into piggybacks, I had looked into the whole unichip system. After going through hoops and hurdles, we got it installed and did dynos before and after on the dynamometer. Though i kno the numbers are low in comparison to a dynojet, the fact is the before and after on the same dyno to show the change. The baseline was 168hp and the after was 193hp with an a/f ratio that was waaaaaaaay rich to the point I was getting an engine check light because of it, was 11s i think (this was from idle to redline). What's most surprising is the gains from just timing as the unichip has it's own timing tables and the "tuner" tunes just the a/f. So if a 400 could get the proper timing and a/f for performance, it should be performing pretty well.