Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

questions for drifters.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 05:11 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions for drifters.

I sold my 350+ hp Drift built 240 over a year ago to get a more streetable car.

I bought my SC with intentions on having a more comfortable car, with full interior, A/C ect... basically a car that's fun to cruise in and comfortable, but that i can also drift. so i bought my SC.

it's been a year now and nothing has been done yet due to money problems, I'm still broke but I'm wanting to start drifting again VERY badly. my car is a 94 300 with automatic tranny. here are my questions..

1. will a R154 tranny swap on a stock motor be enough HP to hold a solid drift without bogging in 3rd? (i'll be running on stock 225/55/16's) I realize this question depends on the driver, but is it possible to keep the wheels spinning on a good speed 3rd gear drift?

2. which LSD should i be interested in? i read somewhere that there are different ratios? which would best suit a 2jz-ge? I also plan to go NA-T in the future.

3. i need more angle! what company is making good control arms, tie-rods, ect. for our cars at the moment?

basically I want to get the car driftable as soon as possible, then add upgrades over time.
Old 08-13-08, 05:21 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

kaaz lsd
Old 08-16-08, 01:16 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

i dont think 180hp will spin the tires in 3rd gear.
Old 08-16-08, 01:18 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gdc5ind
i dont think 180hp will spin the tires in 3rd gear.
depends on the tires
Old 08-16-08, 07:23 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it all depends on your skill level and what your doing.

i personaly have a 1jz, 4" exhaust, intake, FCon ecu, stance coilovers, kaaz 2way LSD, and uras tie rod spacers on my car. i think i should be able to do 3rd gear drifts but still have yet to actually try that.

my setup drifts very easy, feels like the cheater car(240s) but you have to be able to catch the car be cause on transitions it will come very fast.

as far as angle id do just the uras tie rod spacers. thats what i did and ive almost maxed out my angle because it hits the inside fender. im going to be doing some D-Max tie rod spacers with JIC Hard bars.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/J...ift_167813.htm

also for go to say i drift on all 245/40/18's

in the video i was using Continental ContiExtremeContact 245/45/18

i normaly use Yokohama A028 245/40/18

you can see my drifting in the car here.

Last edited by Biggu; 08-16-08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-16-08, 07:36 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

biggu FTW!

btw hows that clutch now?
Old 08-16-08, 08:05 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I went to a clubfr event about a month ago and there was a guy with a 5spd SC, with cut springs, open diff, and stock everything else and he was linking the track.
Old 08-16-08, 08:28 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

hey biggu, nice work. im currently redoing my sc for drift and i was wondering how your steering feel was, our cars have have varible p/s, but when i did my swap i somehow lost my connector for the steering rack so my steering is stuck in "easy" mode, i was wondering how that may affect things. i've slid the car a few times and i know what your talking about when u say things can flip around pretty quick in the transitions. im contemplating just rigging the rack for "stiff" mode to see how it does, also where did you locate the uras spacer? i have the jic inner tierod's and i have some outters on the way. one other thing i really need is some better suspension the tein ss's are a bit too soft for gettin real sideways oh one last thing, are u running the w58? thats what i got currently and i have a real strong feeling it won't take that abuse for long.
Old 08-16-08, 08:36 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

actually biggu, i think i will just machine some spacers myself could you give me an approximate size of the washers? why pay when i can do it myself. and for that matter i guess the size won't matter too much i can just make several sizes and play around with it
Old 08-16-08, 11:53 PM
philvia
Driver School Candidate

i think you should have enough power
if a stock corolla can drift anything is possible
as for the diff i say get yourself an auto sc300 diff and put a kaaz in it
did you ever drift your 240 with the stock ka in it because this should be better than that due to more torque (being a fellow 240 owner i know thats not saying much though) i think you should be good to go though just try it out
Old 08-17-08, 10:34 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by product.sc
biggu FTW!

btw hows that clutch now?
ehh still havent gotten my clutch master in!
Old 08-17-08, 10:44 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by audi2nr
hey biggu, nice work. im currently redoing my sc for drift and i was wondering how your steering feel was, our cars have have varible p/s, but when i did my swap i somehow lost my connector for the steering rack so my steering is stuck in "easy" mode, i was wondering how that may affect things. i've slid the car a few times and i know what your talking about when u say things can flip around pretty quick in the transitions. im contemplating just rigging the rack for "stiff" mode to see how it does, also where did you locate the uras spacer? i have the jic inner tierod's and i have some outters on the way. one other thing i really need is some better suspension the tein ss's are a bit too soft for gettin real sideways oh one last thing, are u running the w58? thats what i got currently and i have a real strong feeling it won't take that abuse for long.

my steering while drifting feels stiff and heavy. you can try to rig your rack in stiff mode but i don't think i would suggest that. since the sc is such a big car i would try to keep the steering as loose as possible that way you don't have to over work yourself. for the URAS spacers i had my buddy that is stationed in japan right now. if you looking for some suspension id go with stance. they are stiff (18k front 10k rear) and i love them. they feel amazing! for the transmission i am currently running a W58 with a spec stage 3 clutch in it now. it works for now as im only pushing 300 hp to the wheels but i also dont think it can stand up to the clutch kicking and the abuse from the 2way. when i drift i try to stay away from clutching kicking if possible but its hard to completely stop using it. what ive been using lately with the setup is just use the weight and then control it from there. liek i said the sc is an easy car to get used to. i drifted my miata for 4 years then this is my 5th year in the sc and my first event with the car i took home 4th place. (that was also the first time drifting the SC)

Old 08-17-08, 11:16 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by philvia
i think you should have enough power
if a stock corolla can drift anything is possible
yeah but a stock corolla weighs 2000lbs with 130hp or something like that. we drive 2900lbs tanks
lol
Old 08-17-08, 12:58 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the same transition. I had a Kouki S14, and I sold it and got a 5spd SC...I haven't got out on the track yet because the ghey open diff, plus my clutch is going out...right now I've got a stage 3 clutch and 1J ready to go in here in the next few weeks...I think once that's done, I'm just gonna weld the diff, and get out there and start practicing...so far I've drifted a little bit in the rain, and the SC seems really easy to control because of how long the wheel base is...I like it so far. I'm on PBM coilovers, with 245s out back.

I think that if you're going fast enough, say on the bank, you should be able to hold a 3rd gear drift...I mean like someone already mentioned, there are AEs and SOHC KAs out there that do it, lol.
Old 08-17-08, 01:42 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

on some very hard compound tires you can do some 3rd gear stuff but not much. the power is okay but the weight is what kills the car.

i had some chitty 440 thread wear rating tires and i could initiate in second and finish the drift in third. the tires were rock hard and barely wore down. i got two full drift event sout of them and they are still not on the rear indicator. lol.

the track you are at will also dictate whether you will be able to do decent drifts stock. when at milwaukee mile the track is very high speed and NA cars just cant look good. long sweepers and no power doesnt mix well. when i go to USAIR it is very tight and its mostly a second gear track. most cars do well there. the only car that still kinda sux is a stock miata. lol.

Quick Reply: questions for drifters.