Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear-Mount Turbo SC300/SC400

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 10:25 AM
mhlamin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear-Mount Turbo SC300/SC400

Rear-Mount Turbo...ever been done in an SC? Would there be an interest for this? You spool very quickly and make good power with these systems. I would like to try this one day on an SC300. It'd be fairly simple...looking at the front of the car head on....you route your hot piping down from the header to the left side of your car, mount turbo and waste gate near rear bumper w/ air filter for intake routed into rear bumper for no water lock. You then route air that needs to be intercooled to the right of the car up to the engine bay down under or maybe through engine bay to the intercooler where it moves left and up into the intake manifold.

People claim the systems are too laggy but in all truthfulness, they just have the wrong turbo for the application. I would love to try this with a power goal of about 350whp. Imagine with thicker HG, larger turbo, more cooling (I was theorizing using multiple intercoolers on the return trip for air to the engine bay to further reduce intake air temps. The possibilities are endless really, not to mention that sweet turbo sound!
Old 08-01-08, 11:51 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to do more research, you have got some basic concepts messed up. There will me more lag regardless of your turbo size. There is so much energy loss from the manifold to the rear of the car due to heat dissipation that it will be more laggy, although a smaller turbo will help, the amount that you have to decrease the turbine A/R to make up for spool will hurt your top end. Another thing is the plumgbing, there would be a ridiculous amount of piping. As for the thought of mulitple intercoolers, talk about laggy..... On rear mount its actually the opposite, some don't even run intercoolers because again, there is so much piping from the back to the front it has time to be cooled from heat dissipation. Although I am not saying not running an I/C is a good idea by any means. Sure it could be ran effectively just like on any other application, but I would think your setup through a little more before you make any decisions and do some more research.

Jon
Old 08-01-08, 12:09 PM
TJohnson
Driver

This concept of the rear turbo system is for cars primarily with V8's or large V6's, with little to no room under the hood to accomodate a system. With any V-6 or V-8 turbo system under the hood, you have a ridiculous amount of plumbing and fabrication and often times lose A/C or power steering or other accessories. For these reasons alone is why the F-body, Corvette, and GTO guys love this setup. Larger motor also means more exhaust energy, thus not having as difficult of a time spooling a turbo. I've ridden in several STS and TRT rear turbo systems in F-bodies and there was still a bit of noticeable lag even in their 346ci cars.

With the SC300 and the I-6 2jz-ge, there is ZERO need to put a turbo in the back. You have all the space in the world to put a turbo there under the hood, TONS less piping to route, and with all the choices out there, the existing kits would be much cheaper than making a kit yourself for a rear mount setup.

Now with the smaller amount of room available under the hood of the SC400, that may or may not be economical. Unfortunately you still have to fab up piping going back to the rear and then back to the front. You will have to make your own oil lines to work with the pump these companies provide and also find a good oil source as well. There are many other variables that I won't go into right now that just wouldn't make it worth it to me.

When you look at the aftermarket TT kits there for F-body's and Vettes in the 6-10k range, and then you have a rear kit for 3-4k and can make 500rwhp w/ adding fuel and slapping this kit on, sure that makes sense. And that is a bolt up kit and all the ground work and fab work is done. But when you can have a good turbo kit for a SC300 in the 2-3k range and have to do very little fab work yourself, why spend the huge difference in price to put the turbo in the back and have to do all that fab work not to mention take the risk of damaging it while driving or all the extra lag that it WILL create?
Old 08-01-08, 09:03 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I've also looked into this for myself also. The lag is considerable check out the dyno's for the f-bodies with RMT. I however think it would be kinda cool to give it a whirl, but I also wouldn't invest that much money into it.

I've read someone used a diff/tranny pump, and even a cheap tilton one for farming. I guess it's whatever you want to spend.

What would really drive cost down is if you went with a junkyard turbo, and if you could weld.

Again, just my opinion and observation
Old 08-02-08, 12:22 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Dont sell the 3rd gen man, you'll regret it, don't ask me how I know.
Old 08-02-08, 12:37 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Dont sell the 3rd gen man, you'll regret it, don't ask me how I know.
Lol are you talking about my 7? I would like to keep it, but it's just sitting there, I'm not really driving it at all....No point in letting her go to waste.

Staying on topic, doesn't Emerald have this setup on her sc4??
Old 08-02-08, 01:35 AM
FiSta
Lead Lap

yes emerald has a setup like this
Old 08-02-08, 09:26 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

^^ on a v8 yes, but on the SC300 it is absolutely pointless and inefficient.
Old 08-03-08, 09:30 AM
pioww
Rookie

I was going post something similar to TJohnson but would like to add that squires makes a kit for mustangs, and I think they have some for other cars as well. One advantage some people say is lower under hood temps. I would interested to see what affect aluminum charge piping would have on all that distance. I think some "boost lag/response" could be tuned out. Interesting but why? Maybe a slight weight balance advantage but that would be reaching, plus extra piping would add overall weight.
Old 08-03-08, 01:34 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Yeah on the V8 it makes sense because the crowdedness of the engine bay, but with the 1JZGTE and 2JZGTE and many NA-T kits, why the hell would you do a rear mount on a 300? lol
Old 08-04-08, 06:45 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pioww
I was going post something similar to TJohnson but would like to add that squires makes a kit for mustangs, and I think they have some for other cars as well. One advantage some people say is lower under hood temps. I would interested to see what affect aluminum charge piping would have on all that distance. I think some "boost lag/response" could be tuned out. Interesting but why? Maybe a slight weight balance advantage but that would be reaching, plus extra piping would add overall weight.
STS also makes a universal kit.
Old 08-04-08, 11:04 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

The first thing that came to mind was California drivers. This would be a VERY easy setup to hide from the cops Unless those guys have the little border patrol mirrors on the golf club looking poles to look under cars.
Old 08-05-08, 06:46 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not think Emerald's set up is really a rear-mount, but a mid-mount, or low-mount set up. I believe she located her turbo where the cat is at the opening by the trans tunnel. I believe she had to modify the tunnel to make it fit. This would not be an easy set up, but could be done. Remember, you will be very dependant upon a reliable oil system to pump the oil back up on the return. I believe STS makes this part.

There is no room in the back where the mufflers are either, unless you modify the rear frame of the car. You could place the turbo or turbos where the storage well is for the spare tire, but again, modification is required. And, as stated earlier in this thread, lots and lots of plumbing wil be required. I personally do not think it is a better way than installing them in the front like I have, but to each his own.

I will repeat again, if any of you are looking to set up a respectable single turbo system on the SC400, then look into Steve Chumo's set up. You can do it rather inexpensively, and still make very respectable gains.

I agree on the SC300, why would you ever want to install a low mount or rear mount set up when there are so many front mount bolt ons that are ready to go, and fit perfectly...

Ryan
Old 08-05-08, 08:27 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do a rear mount, cause CA cops aren't friendly to snail looking things under the hood.

"Oh...that is the Air Conditioning compressor." Doesn't quite work like it used to anymore...
Old 08-05-08, 09:11 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

technically this could be legal because a turbo is considered a muffler. I think I was reading on either my350z or ls1tech about someone passing smog with a STS kit.

Even if you go to an exhaust shop to see a diagram of a turbo car, it'll say "muffler"

So I guess if done right it could be smog legal

Quick Reply: Rear-Mount Turbo SC300/SC400