Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Water pump missing seal tracks....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 11:34 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Water pump missing seal tracks....

Doing a 60K at 273K. The water pump is made by GMB and made in Japan. From what I understand, GMB is pretty high quality. The pump that came off is not stamped, so I don't know what brand it is. It was replaced at 120K miles but may not have been Toyota. The old pump has two major differences as compared to the new GMB pump.

1) The old pump has seal tracks while the new pump doesn't but came with a paper gasket. What do I do with that. Do I still use high temp silicon or just the paper?

2) The old pump had a plastic impeller while the GMB has a metal impeller.

Other minor differences. The old pump has lots of casting and flashing imperfections all along the outer surfaces while the GMB is cosmetically perfect.
Old 07-26-08, 11:47 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So apparently GMB's own website has the answers. First, they claim the paper gasket is all that is needed and that additional sealant should not be used.

The water pump housing is forged rather than cast which explains the lack of casting cruft that the old pump has.