Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbos Whinning?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 07:18 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbos Whinning?!

So my engine ran sooo great before, boosting and everything like stock, no track days.... 1jzgte

I blew the tranny and let this great motor sit for a year, now reinstalled it and I am not able to boost, it stutterly boost 2-4lbs. (sounds like boost leak) But my issue is that there is an awfully loud whirlling whining sound from the engine bay. It is 100% surely coming from the turbo area.

I think i read 98% or more of the threads with whinning, and it is not the P/s, the tranny for sure, and i am pretty much 99% sure it is not the alternator or the pully's.
this is the closest thread but it was never resolved...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...turbo+whinning

The only options i see left is something internally in the motor or the turbos.... which worked perfect before the reinstall, and since i have not boosted once yet i do not see how they could have blown...

I am leaning toward 2 things.... boost leak that is causing the lack of boost, and maybe the whining is the air squeezing out of a small spot?? I did a leak test and found a spot, fixed it and had to drive off.... i will check for another tonight.

the other is- capping off the stock BOV and putting a new bov next to the Throttle body.... Maybe capping all 3 of the vacuum lines was the wrong answer?? maybe this is causing my turbos to have no peak boost and spool super high creating this noise? I will put back stock tonight also.....

Any other input, please i need this last part fixed by tomorrow for something!

Thanks
Old 07-25-08, 01:11 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check for leaks first. Make sure all your couplers are nice and tight. I had that problem when I first put my engine in.
Old 07-25-08, 12:34 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

onejay, in leak you mean boost? What did yours do that mine does... the whinning from the turbos or just not building boost?

what is the best way to do a boost leak test, i have some homemade crap... air compressor and some valve stem mounted intake.......

So i found another possible leak, fixed that one and still the same, the whining I am even more sure that it is not air squeezing through some hole, because if it was i would be able to feel it through the weakest holes that were found from a small amount of air compressed on the test...

i reinstalled the BOV, but wasnt sure of which way on the one way valve thing, and nothing changed the slightest.. very loud whining that goes with the pattern of the boost gauge, dancing in rhythm.. .then i tried to reverse that valve but i broke it... so didnt get a chance.. but i ran the car without the valve and same thing so i doubt that is anything....

Looks like i am in 2 directions ...leaks/loose coneections and mountings/stuck open wastegate and stuff like that...

Blown turbos.....

Anyone blow a turbo and have it whine like hell in rhythm to your boost, and my car only boost like 3 lbs out of 15lbs?

there is also a white smoke in my exhaust.. but i thought maybe because car was not run for a year... i have the toyota fuel additive, and i have too much oil in the car....
Old 07-25-08, 12:44 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohh white smoke = bad hope its not your headgasket.... does it smoke all the time?
Old 07-25-08, 12:57 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

ive never had any smoking problem, my car ran sooo clean and strong before i let the car sit, pulled the motor and changed the tranny and these mods:

added BOV next to Throttle body and capped off all 3 lines of stock bov
added a catch can on the valve cover
added an oil filter relocation kit(right now too much oil)
i have the toyota fuel cleaner stuff in the gas tank
drove the car with low oil pressure for about 10 min(the whining was always apparent)!
Maybe hooked up vacuums and crap wrong.

My scares for the smoke are -
-Blown turbos burning oil
-fuel additive burning for this tank
-because of the overfill of oil in engine
-just seals going bad from the year sitting...

Any input on how these mods

Last edited by sc1jzgte; 07-25-08 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 09:06 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

You blew your turbo's my friend plain and simple. First its the whinning then the shaft will break and then a very nice smoke show. Mine was the rear turbo, I didnt realize till later on when I was playing with my BOV vaccuum line I connected the One way valve wrong, created pressure and destroyed one of the turbo's

Check your BOV andmake sure your wastegate is opening and closing.\

Good luck changing the twins its a PITA.

Originally Posted by sc1jzgte
ive never had any smoking problem, my car ran sooo clean and strong before i let the car sit, pulled the motor and changed the tranny and these mods:

added BOV next to Throttle body and capped off all 3 lines of stock bov
added a catch can on the valve cover
added an oil filter relocation kit(right now too much oil)
i have the toyota fuel cleaner stuff in the gas tank
drove the car with low oil pressure for about 10 min(the whining was always apparent)!
Maybe hooked up vacuums and crap wrong.

My scares for the smoke are -
-Blown turbos burning oil
-fuel additive burning for this tank
-because of the overfill of oil in engine
-just seals going bad from the year sitting...

Any input on how these mods
Old 07-28-08, 09:22 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

my new apexi bov is working fine releassing air at only 2pounds of boost no prob...

The stock BOV i caped off completely... was that the wrong thing to do?

"first its the whining, then the shaft will break"?!?

I took it for a spin sat and the whining kind of went away.. still cant really boost though, does that mean the shaft broke now?

I really need to avoid two things... taking this apart and finding it was not the turbos (like the other guys post) or putting new ones in and have it do it again after a week.... i need to double check my set up.

I broke the 1 way valve, can you confirm which way it goes, and can you guide me on getting a replacement?
Old 07-28-08, 09:23 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyO3aJ-OrAc

Does it sound like this? If so, good luck changine out your turbo/turbos
Old 07-28-08, 11:44 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

most likely your turbos toast is there alot of play in the shaft?
Old 07-28-08, 12:58 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

I listened to that link and that is not quite what it sounds like, this vid is more of a engine sounding howl, mine sounded more like clean electrical whine(it is not the alternator or electrical)..

I heard another similar video and it sounded a more like mine... and his problem was just things were not tight like in the manifold etc....

there are a lot of reasons my car could be smoking right now which is throwing me off.... can anyone describe blown turbo smoke.. like when does it come out, how much?
I smoke only noticable upon idle and when i take off it will dump, it takes about 5-10 min to start smoking just a little, and gradually gets worse, after about 20 min it seems to peak and smoke semi heavily, not enough to block any view, but enough to see it float around in the back embarrasinly.. its also white.

Last edited by sc1jzgte; 07-28-08 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 01:03 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

What I meant was a boost leak, sorry. Mine made a really loud whooshing noise and didn't build any boost. It just turned out to be an intercooler coupler that I was on crooked and popped open when I hit high boost. I could hear the turbos spooling really loud but couldn't feel any power. Again though, it was more of a whoosh than a whine.
Old 07-28-08, 01:08 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

the fact your were hearing whining and no boost dictates that most likely you broke something. The "turbo smoke" should start off as how you described and it will get worse.

Ussually it will smoke when you try to hit boost and then let off, that is when you will see the most smoke.

As much i do not want to be the bearer of bad news, I would check for turbo shaft play, that is not hard to do, just unbolt the 2 intake pipes going to the cold side of the turbo and check for play.
Old 07-28-08, 01:48 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

thanks shlounek, i will take a look at that as soon as i get a chance, anything else to check for when i get it off?

Hey Onejay - does the sound come on only when you should be boosting? like come on right after you hit 0 out of vaccum?
Old 07-28-08, 01:51 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

It came on when I would give it a bit of gas to accelerate whether or not I was in boost.
Old 07-28-08, 02:37 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

another question... will inspecting the coldside only be enough to confirm bad turbo normally?

Quick Reply: Turbos Whinning?!