Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

V8 EKT headers installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 08:40 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default V8 EKT headers installed!

This thread has been approved by DaveGS4 on the condition that the vendor of these headers does not post until becoming an official CL vendor. The vendor's posting is the reason the two past threads were closed.

For pics of the headers, go here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...46&postcount=1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, installed the headers yesterday. First off, what a PITA job. Took me about 9 hours to do it. I unbolted the rack and removed all the front subframe bolts, supporting the frame with jack stands. I left the sway bar links attatched. I would've just dropped the entire frame and put a support bar under the hood to hold the motor but the brake lines run through the upper control arms and I didn't want to take any chances removing the lines from the calipers since my car has some corrosion. I completely removed the motor mounts for access. Removed both the transmission and oil dipsticks, easy to remove, hard to put back. The cat convertors are somewhat difficult to remove due to the placement of the bolts and the shape of the cats, it's near impossible to get a socket on the bolts. The heat sheild on the driver's side manifold was rather difficult to remove, the passenger side pretty much fell right off. Getting to the manifold bolts was not too bad, I had one on the passenger side that started to round off. On each manifold, there is one bolt on the rear most port flange that cannot be removed using a socket.

After removing the manifolds, installing the headers wasn't too bad. The pipe routing made it impossible to tighten two of the bolts on the driver's side from underneath the car and very difficult to tighten them from under the hood. My arms are still quite a bit scratched up.

The goods. They do indeed bolt in. They clear the motor mounts, the wiring, the steering intermidiate shaft, no problems fitting to the engine. They look very sexy, it's ashame they can't really be seen from under the hood.

The bads. Not 100% bolt in, I'd say more like 95%. The collector flanges do not line up with the rest of the exhaust. Cost me a pretty penny to get it fixed, see pics. The threaded holes for the EGR port are just slightly too far apart from each other. Not a big deal but annoying. Didn't really matter in my case since I was blocking the port off anyhow. The EGR pipe does line up perfectly with the port on the headers, which is good.

I have not really had a chance to drive the car yet. I left it at work on the lift last night since I had two huge exhaust leaks between the headers and the rest of the exhaust. I did manage to bolt the two together (involed a rather large pry bar) but the flanges were not mated very well at all. I drove the car today to Muffler Masters and had them cut the flanges off the back piping and re weld to some new pipe. From there I drove home in heavy traffic. I should have a better report tomorrow on how the car drives. I did go off onto a back road and tried a quick little power brake test, the tires spun at about 2200 rpm. The car does sound quite a bit different. Only slightly louder at idle and cruising but with a bit more rumble. The sound is very different under a little bit of load.

I should have more to share tomorrow after a bit more driving. I will also try and take a video so the new exhaust can be heard. I need to get the car on the alignment rack, it's likely off a bit since I had the rack and frame unbolted. I'll try and take some more pics.

Right now...I'm off to sleep. I am still exhausted from the install.

Some pics....

Driver's side.
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8129.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 08:41 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Another driver's side pic.
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8130.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 08:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

And another driver's side.
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8131.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 08:44 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Last driver's side pic.
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8132.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 08:45 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Passenger side.....
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8135.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 08:46 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

The passenger side is cake compared to the driver's side BTW.
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8136.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 08:50 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

This pic shows the alignment problem I was talking about. The passenger side was closer so I bolted it on first but the flange angles were still all wrong causing a leak. As you can see, the driver's side is way off. I managed to pry the pipe over enough to get some bolts in it but it was a very bad leak. Plus, all the exhaust all the way back to the mufflers was pushed way over to the passenger side.

Also, in the pic it looks like the o2 sensors are hitting the frame, they are not. They are pretty close though.

KC
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8137.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 09:17 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look good. How about a sound clip?
Old 07-18-08, 05:01 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Great job, headers are a PITA.
Old 07-18-08, 03:04 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KC, nice job. Those look really nice, whether they bolt to the factory exhaust or not. It sucks that they did not bolt on 100% as that was the most significant advantage to the EKT design compared to the competition.

I am curious to hear a sound clip as well as watch some video of your car going down the quarter in 13.3_s.

Regardless, you have paved the way for a number of SC4 guys to take the plunge on these headers. I am sure whatever exhaust work needed to be done was much less significant than what would need to be done with either the S&S Headers or the Rush Headers.

Were you able to retain the factory exhaust hanger support that stems from the transmisison bellhousing?

Again, nice job. Nine hours: sheesh. I am definitely not looking forward to my header install now.
Old 07-19-08, 05:40 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assuming you are a mechanic by profession and looks like you are very knowledgeable. With that in mind, i am a disappointed that the headers need much tweaking to fit perfectly. Hopefully, the manufacturer will make the necessary changes.
Old 07-19-08, 08:56 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
They look good. How about a sound clip?
I haven't had a chance yet, but soon.

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Great job, headers are a PITA.
OMG! PITA is a bit of an understatement really.

Originally Posted by Blizzy
I am curious to hear a sound clip as well as watch some video of your car going down the quarter in 13.3_s.
I was going to go to Rockingham tonight but it rained. I'm going to try and make it to Mooresville (1/8) on Thursday.

Regardless, you have paved the way for a number of SC4 guys to take the plunge on these headers. I am sure whatever exhaust work needed to be done was much less significant than what would need to be done with either the S&S Headers or the Rush Headers.
Ya, I'd imagine they'll be selling like hot cakes in the near future. Everything else fits great. Plenty of room between the headers and things such as the motor mounts, steeing shaft, transmission, ect.

Were you able to retain the factory exhaust hanger support that stems from the transmisison bellhousing?
Yes, after some cutting, welding, grinding, drilling and painting, I made it fit. I really think it is important to have the bracket in place.

Again, nice job. Nine hours: sheesh. I am definitely not looking forward to my header install now.
It is not a fun job. If I ever need to do it again, I would try something completely different. I would remove the hood. Remove the PS pump, AC compressor, alt (all while leaving the lines hooked up to each component), run the ecu wiring through the firewall, drain the coolant and remove the radiator hoses, unbolt the tranny, remove the intake hoses, remove the fuel lines, remove other assorted stuff and lift the motor up a foot or so.

Sounds like a lot but at very least, I don't think it would be any harder.

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
I am assuming you are a mechanic by profession and looks like you are very knowledgeable. With that in mind, i am a disappointed that the headers need much tweaking to fit perfectly. Hopefully, the manufacturer will make the necessary changes.
If I would have known that the flanges wouldn't line up before I bought them, I would have still bought them. It's not really a huge deal when you consider all of the things that could go wrong installing an aftermarket product such as this, although it would have been nice to know in advance.

Here's a pic of what had to be done, driver's side.
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8147.jpg  
Old 07-19-08, 08:58 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Passenger side...
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8146.jpg  
Old 07-19-08, 09:12 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, driving impressions and some more installed pics.

I love the headers. It's like I'm driving a completely different car. The sound is great and the butt dyno indicates a significant increase in power. I may have lost a touch of low end response but not very noticeable. In fact, as the ECU relearns, it seems to be getting better. The midrange and upper rpm's are incredable. Downshifting from a cruise into second is quite exciting. A downshift from a cruise into 1st is down right scary. From a 20 mph roll, I stomped the gas causing the trans to shift to 1st and the traction control had a hissy fit. I have not had a chance to redline through the gears to see if I've lost much, if any boost, I'll try and do some expirementing tomorrow night.

A few other side affects. Seems to idle a bit smoother, if that's possible. The engine seems to rev much faster in neutral. My smile has gotten bigger than it used to be when I'm driving it like I stole it.

I'm so glad to finally have the headers finally installed. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of my exhaust.

Pics of header back before fixing the fitment issue, ideas welcome. I'm leaning towards 2.5 inch piping since I have not lost a ton of low end with the headers.
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8127.jpg  
Old 07-19-08, 09:14 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I really need to sign up on photo bucket already. Dynomax 2.25 inch super turbos not shown btw.
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8128.jpg  

Quick Reply: V8 EKT headers installed!