Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Speed sensor solution to R154 swap w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 11:31 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speed sensor solution to R154 swap w/ pics

Hey all,

Here is the solution to the speedometer sensor when doing an R154 swap in your SC. So let me clear up some things first.

If you have had the W58 in before, it works but you have to fab a bracket to make it work. I believe it also works for those that had the auto SC3, but you still have to fab a bracket. However if you have a GTE auto or an SC4 trans,(virtually the same) the speed sensor will not work.

There was no electronic speed sensor out of an R154 trans, they were all cable. There was a rear speed sensor, but this is not the ones we are concerned about and it has nothing to do with the speedometer. Just so you can distinguish them the rear speed sensor is on the rear driver side of the R154 and has a harness coming out of it. You can remove this sensor and plug it, as it is not needed now for anything. I just used one of these from O'Reillys Auto Parts:

Here are the part numbers for everything:
Toyota:
33485-30020- speedometer plate
33404-22010-sub assymbley sleeve
33403-29115-gear

Marlin Crawler:
Marlin Crawler VSS, make sure you get the one for gear drive case.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/tra...e/tcase_ac.htm

Total it cost me about $130 I think w/ shipping and all. Anyway here is how you assymble it. It's really straighforward, h ere's everything seperate:

The gear installed in the sub assymbley sleeve, make sure you use the funky c clip they send you and the O-ring

Everything assymbled ready to drop in, the VSS just screws onto the out case of the sub assymbley.

Installed in the car.

Works like a charm, apparently 3rd gear is the real monster

Jon
Old 07-16-08, 11:50 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info +1

Im glad you got it figured out!
Old 07-16-08, 12:04 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sup Tres,

Thanks man! I replaced the rear trans seal too, apparently it WAS leaking, I thought it was just the shifter tunnel that I tightened down but I guess not. It was so nasty underneath there I wanted to puke. I had to take a drill w/ a wire brush to the exhaust to get all the burned tranny oil off..... I got the fans in, and after looking it all over I decided to send them back for two Wiseco 14" ones, 2700 CFM apiece so when I get those in I will post a write up on club NA-T. You still driving the beast to work?

P.S. I looked at the meth kits yesterday.............
Old 07-16-08, 12:19 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Well at least it's fixed now. Off-topic though, I'm sure the 14" fans will be more than enough. I drove it today actually
As you know, I have the devils' own kit. The kits are produced and sold in Oklahoma City and the guy will let you buy one out of his house if you want.
Old 12-02-12, 07:53 AM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Just to verify, the part #'s you listed for the Toyota OEM VSS, is for a mk iii r154? I have a rebuilt MC R154 on the way from Driftmotion and I'm going to need to do the VSS mod.
Old 12-02-12, 07:42 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While youre at it, there is another seal inside the mkiii r154 speed sensor. Use a scribe and pull that sucker out and replace with new
Charley
Old 03-26-14, 05:32 PM
kingblack
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so how do the abs work if the rear speed sensor is plugged?
Old 04-07-14, 02:24 PM
egaleano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kingblack
so how do the abs work if the rear speed sensor is plugged?
If you're swapping an R154 from an MK3 into an SC, then you don't use the ABS stuff on the trans. That's why you remove it and plug. Or just tuck the connector somewhere out of the way.
Old 04-05-18, 09:19 PM
Luis2jz
Driver School Candidate

Would it work for a is300
Old 04-06-18, 01:19 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis2jz
Would it work for a is300
^^ Yes, this should work just the same if you are swapping an MKIII R154 into your IS300. The IS300's W55 uses the same kind of 3-wire VSS signal as the later W58's and later R154's. The Marlin Crawler VSS convertor screws on to early cable-driven speedo outputs on the earlier versions of these transmissions and generates the VSS signal you will need.

The OP who made this thread went a step further by finding the correct internal gear for his transmission's speedo drive assembly. You could research what gear might work for that purpose in the IS300 application or you could just buy a Yellr Yellowbox V4 or V5 which can be dip-switch programmed (with the help of a GPS unit that shows actual speed so that you can see it for reference while you calibrate) to intercept and adjust the VSS pulses to make your car's speedo read accurately. Yellr even sells an MKIV/SC specific plug-and-play harness to connect to the transmission's VSS connector and the body VSS connector and to the Yellowbox in your cabin. You are supposed to route this PnP harness through a spare unused hole with a factory rubber plug in your trans tunnel. The process should fundamentally be the same for a 2001-2005 IS300 as it is for an SC or MKIV.