Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GTE Aristo/98 SC300 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-08, 09:35 PM
98SC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZ-GTE Aristo/98 SC300 Swap

Hi, I've spent some time searching on this and found a few useful threads but they all deal with swapping the Aristo motor into the older SC300's without VVT-i. Has anyone done this swap with a 98+ SC300 that originally had VVT-i? Does this simplify the wiring?

I've got an Aristo motor, trans, harness and ECU that I was swapping into an old mk3 Supra, but... I recently acquired a 98 SC300 and I'm tempted to switch directions, haha. If anyone has done this swap or knows specifics about the wiring please let me know. Also, if anyone has a wiring diagram for the 98 SC300 ECU that would be great to get some scans of it. Thanks!
Old 07-12-08, 11:07 PM
AngrySC3
Rookie

I'm working on one right I'll tell you if everything goes well, but you should go to ISforums and read more info.
Old 07-13-08, 09:35 PM
98SC
Rookie

Yeah, definitely keep me updated on your swap. I'll also check ISforums as you suggested. Is the wiring and ECU basically the same between the late model SC300's and the early IS300's? Thanks.
Old 07-13-08, 10:17 PM
Dr Tweak
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Originally Posted by 98SC
Hi, I've spent some time searching on this and found a few useful threads but they all deal with swapping the Aristo motor into the older SC300's without VVT-i. Has anyone done this swap with a 98+ SC300 that originally had VVT-i? Does this simplify the wiring?

I've got an Aristo motor, trans, harness and ECU that I was swapping into an old mk3 Supra, but... I recently acquired a 98 SC300 and I'm tempted to switch directions, haha. If anyone has done this swap or knows specifics about the wiring please let me know. Also, if anyone has a wiring diagram for the 98 SC300 ECU that would be great to get some scans of it. Thanks!
It's about the same amount of wiring either way, the one thing to look out for is that if you have to pass OBD2 emissions testing with the SC300 you will not be able to with the non-VVTi 2JZGTE in there. There is a way to pass with the VVTi 2JZGTE from the '98 and up Aristo but it's really tricky.

-Doc
Old 07-14-08, 11:08 AM
98SC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dr Tweak
It's about the same amount of wiring either way, the one thing to look out for is that if you have to pass OBD2 emissions testing with the SC300 you will not be able to with the non-VVTi 2JZGTE in there. There is a way to pass with the VVTi 2JZGTE from the '98 and up Aristo but it's really tricky.

-Doc

Well, the swap I'm looking at doing will be with an Aristo motor (I think from a '98 or '99) with VVTi into a '98 SC300 with VVTi. So, what's the tricky trick for passing OBD2 emissions with this swap? Thanks.
Old 07-14-08, 02:31 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

ps. i dont think u can run AEM on a vvti engine

*correct me if im wrong*
Old 07-14-08, 06:56 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBDll function for emissions

The factory ECU that would operate any Aristo or JDM SUPRA 2jzgte or 2jzgte vvti don't have the OBDll function for emissions built into the ECU. There are ways to get around this
1: use a USDM SUPRA 96 or later ECU with the non vvti engine
2: with the 2jzgte vvti engine use your 2jzge ECU and a piggy back computer
3:Speak to DR.TWEAK for a hybrid harness to use the Aristo or JDM SUPRA 2jzgte ECU and your 2jzge ECU to pass the OBDll emissions
4:use the Aristo or JDM SUPRA 2jzgte ECU and not pass OBDll emissions.
I am going with # 4 for factory drive ability
I got a 99 SC300 and am looking to drop in a 2jzgte vvti in my car also

If any information 1 - 4 is incorrect please correct
Old 07-15-08, 02:19 PM
98SC
Rookie

Originally Posted by TURBO819
The factory ECU that would operate any Aristo or JDM SUPRA 2jzgte or 2jzgte vvti don't have the OBDll function for emissions built into the ECU. There are ways to get around this
1: use a USDM SUPRA 96 or later ECU with the non vvti engine
2: with the 2jzgte vvti engine use your 2jzge ECU and a piggy back computer
3:Speak to DR.TWEAK for a hybrid harness to use the Aristo or JDM SUPRA 2jzgte ECU and your 2jzge ECU to pass the OBDll emissions
4:use the Aristo or JDM SUPRA 2jzgte ECU and not pass OBDll emissions.
I am going with # 4 for factory drive ability
I got a 99 SC300 and am looking to drop in a 2jzgte vvti in my car also

If any information 1 - 4 is incorrect please correct
Ok, If using option 2 which piggy back computer can be used with the stock 2jzge (VVTi) ECU? I remember something about the IS guys doing this with a Greddy emanage, is this the same or am I way off here?

Option 4 is also a possibility for me and I am curious if the ECU connectors are the same between the late model SC300's and the Aristo. I know between GS300 and Aristo the connectors are the same with a few different wires here and there. I guess my best answer would be to spend the cash for a factory wiring manual for my SC (already have the Aristo and GS ones).
Old 07-18-08, 11:41 PM
98SC
Rookie

I just looked at the ECU in my 98 SC300 and the 5 connectors are the same as my Aristo ECU. Now, I know some of the pins/wires are going to be different between the harnesses but I'm thinking the majority will be the same considering what I know about the GS300/Aristo wiring. Considering this would it be practical to modify and use the SC motor harness with the Aristo ECU to avoid lengthening the Aristo motor harness?
Old 07-19-08, 02:25 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll start with...I'm by no means an expert. But, I'm rebuilding (and therefore) rewiring a 2JZGTE from an Aristo. I would say it is not a good idea at all. Just a cursory glance at what is not on a GE harness is wiring for coilpack ignition/different camshaft position sensor setup or any sort of turbo pressure feedback. There are probably more differences. I'm personally having the GE harness merged/modified into the Aristo harness.
Old 07-24-09, 07:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by slappy96
I'll start with...I'm by no means an expert. But, I'm rebuilding (and therefore) rewiring a 2JZGTE from an Aristo. I would say it is not a good idea at all. Just a cursory glance at what is not on a GE harness is wiring for coilpack ignition/different camshaft position sensor setup or any sort of turbo pressure feedback. There are probably more differences. I'm personally having the GE harness merged/modified into the Aristo harness.
thats not a huge amount of wires though, basically ignition and addition of a map sensor. I mean lots of people do this manually when running standalone systems, and it comes time to loose the dizzy. sure I just switched my maf wire to a map wire (you wont need maf on a JDM ecu or ems) but its easy to run a new one.

but you guys are forgetting he is starting with a vvti engine in his SC. it already has coilpacks and no distributor. all the wires should be there with exception of the map wire.
you are probably the best candidate for pulling this swap off.

you have all the sensors and plugs from your gte harness, so if the plugs from your old harness dont fit your new engine you could just swap them out. and at the ecu you could most likely splice in the big connector pin by pin to run your gte ecu when you want it but leave only one ecu plugged in at a time. you will throw codes, be prepared to have resistors handy for egr and whatnot. I have not done this swap before, but I collect useless information.