Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 04:43 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Starter problems

So I recently did the 1jz swap and had to wire a push button start because of different ignition signals or something. Anyway, the starter was working fine until a few days ago when it didn't start at all and just made a grinding/whirring noise whenever I pushed the button. The problem was a loose connection that I fixed. Ever since that incident though, the starter makes the same noise but cranks the engine and starts normally. I am kind of worried about the noise. Could it be damaging to the flywheel or the starter itself? Also, on another note, I went to start my car an hour ago, and after I released the button, it kept cranking even with the motor on and the button released. I turned off the engine and it kept cranking. I had to pull the plug on the starter to get it to stop. Any thoughts? Thanks
-Brian
Old 07-08-08, 02:19 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, sounds like something is not wired right for sure... I did the swap, if your interested i can tell you how to wire it to work the correct way, just PM me, its like 5-10 min of work.
Old 09-28-09, 04:46 AM
RetroMania
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In regards to a starter problem with my 1jz swap

Hi, I know I'm bringing up an old thread, since the answer was not posted, I was just wondering how I could fix the starter issue. The starter does not crank once i cut a black wire with one of the body plugs and it revs up fine. But everytime I need to start it, I have to wire it together, and put the starter relay to crank it then take the relay off, and i have to separate the wires again so it can rev up all the way, I need help, it blows my mind that I cannot find an English wiring diagram anywhere, if you can, I need some advise on what I need to do. Thanks! PM me or public message, it doesn't matter.

-Sean

Last edited by RetroMania; 09-28-09 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-28-09, 10:32 AM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneJay
So I recently did the 1jz swap and had to wire a push button start because of different ignition signals or something. Anyway, the starter was working fine until a few days ago when it didn't start at all and just made a grinding/whirring noise whenever I pushed the button. The problem was a loose connection that I fixed. Ever since that incident though, the starter makes the same noise but cranks the engine and starts normally. I am kind of worried about the noise. Could it be damaging to the flywheel or the starter itself? Also, on another note, I went to start my car an hour ago, and after I released the button, it kept cranking even with the motor on and the button released. I turned off the engine and it kept cranking. I had to pull the plug on the starter to get it to stop. Any thoughts? Thanks
-Brian
Pull off the starter and inspect the teeth of the flywheel. While its off see if you can find anything odd?? If needed I have a aristo starter.