Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 weak points

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 08:22 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W58 weak points

I'm just trying to get a grasp on common failures among W58 transmissions. I see a lot of posts saying their tranny took a dump on them but they don't say what part of the transmission actually failed. I do see some consitent failure in the 3rd gear syncros, but i just want to be absolutley sure about it. Also if there are any other weak points in the transmission i would like to hear about them. Sometime in the future i plan on either NA-T or swapping in a 1UZ into my car, either way big power is the goal and i want to keep all weak links in check.
Old 07-03-08, 09:51 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would think the syncro? not sure tho, when im there ill let you know
Old 07-03-08, 10:41 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3rd gear grenades under high torque stresses. Syncros wear out in 2,3,4. Other than that its not bad but its not built to handle big power so 400+ go another route, less than 400 youll be fine if you drive it correctly.
Old 07-03-08, 05:30 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

My younger brother's w58 took a dirt nap after we started running Royal Purple fluids. Never again will I run these fluids. But anyway, 3rd gear was the first gear to go. Then 1st. We ran the car at the track on the daily with a 150 shot of nitrous and some sticky rubber. Im hoping to go turbo sometime in the future. Im also planning on running the W58 until it gets stuck. They I will rebuild.
Old 07-03-08, 09:17 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

usually its 3rd gear but when the syncro goes it either breaks or the gear itself can break. those chunks usually cause other gears to go soon after.

if you know how to drive and dont "rip" it into gear you should be fine NA-T or 1jz.

i know people that blow the trans on stock power.
my buddy blew the diff in my SC on stock power. when i went to Sound Performance to find another stock open diff the guys looked at me like i was crazy that i blew it with the car being all stock.

basically your driving style will be one of the biggest factor to your cars reliability. not saying to baby it all the time but to know how the mechanics of the car work and what could break if you do certain things.
Old 07-04-08, 12:20 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
basically your driving style will be one of the biggest factor to your cars reliability. not saying to baby it all the time but to know how the mechanics of the car work and what could break if you do certain things.
Really great advice. I know someone else that blew their diff on stock power from always launching it off of every intersection they come across. I learned to baby mine. Changing these things out is just too much work.
Old 07-04-08, 12:18 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
Indeed, I always try to baby the car as much as possible, only hitting the throttle when it's absolutely necessary. I've also learned to shift with a soft hand as i find the gears a lot easer to find and much smoother to engage. With gas prices the way they are too, i've learned to stay off the throttle a little more. The only time i really open up is at the track, but even there i try to go only three or four runs.

A fluid change is next on the list for my next service checkup, ill probably go with GM synchromesh or Redline, synchomesh most likely though. Sometime down the line ill drop in an LSD before the turbo comes in and reeks hell
Old 07-04-08, 01:53 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

My W58 handled the 540whp/500wtq for 6 months of daily driving, without an issue. It actually never let go. I just knew that the getrag was the safest bet, so I went ahead and upgraded. Rolling onto it isn't what's gonna hurt it, launching it is what does that, so as long as you avoid that, and don't slam gears, it should be fine.
Old 07-04-08, 07:14 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i'll take it to the track with my 1jz, hopefully it won't blow.

better start saving for an R154.
Old 07-05-08, 07:46 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

yup. i will be getting my car retuned on e85 this monday. we will take it up to around 550-600rwhp on the w58. I hear that as long as you dont drag race(from a stop) or bang the gears you should be ok. We will find out really soon I guess. I plan on doing only highway pulls anyways...
Old 07-05-08, 06:09 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

I have heard that if you do a hard highway pull you will also blow it at high speeds. In any case, why is it that so many people think it is okay to go up to high 100+mph on the freeway? Please let me know which highway you are going to do this on so I can be sure to not be on it when you are....
Old 07-05-08, 06:30 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jefferino
I have heard that if you do a hard highway pull you will also blow it at high speeds. In any case, why is it that so many people think it is okay to go up to high 100+mph on the freeway? Please let me know which highway you are going to do this on so I can be sure to not be on it when you are....
who said im going over 100+...even if i do why do you care???
Old 07-05-08, 06:50 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Maybe he is going to the Autobahn. You never know.
Old 07-06-08, 08:42 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

you guys are funny. so who here is running the most HP on a w58???
Old 07-06-08, 11:49 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Like I said, I did hwy pulls with my W58 and 540whp/500wtq for 6 months, and never had an issue. Oh, and I do this on GA400, I85, I285, so feel free to stay off of those roads.

Quick Reply: W58 weak points