Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Wont crank over by key, I need a expert!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 01:01 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SC400 Wont crank over by key, I need a expert!

Hey guys, I have a problem I was hoping to get some input on. My car has been running great until this morning, I shut it off and went to start it and nothing.

Here is what I know its not.

The battery is good!-I have checked it
The starter is good!-I can jumper the starter poles at the starter relay and start it.
The starter relay is good-I checked it out.
It is not the neutral/park saftey switch- I allready bypassed it.

It is not getting power too the starter relay trigger coil, it just does nothing. everything else acts normal. It acts just like a clutch/park/netral safty switch but I checked. What else could it be? If anyone has a electrical diagram of a 97 sc400 they could send me to help that would be great! Anyone ever had this?
Old 07-01-08, 01:44 PM
SATXSC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ did you measure the voltage at the starter. Sometimes with a worn out/bad contact iginition switch voltage drops by time it reaches the starter. Also make sure your grounds are all good.
Old 07-01-08, 01:56 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Does the starter solenoid click or make any kind of sound? Did you check the voltage at the starter relay in the fuse box?
Old 07-01-08, 02:17 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had this problem. When in the ON position does the CEL on the dashboard show up? Mine did not, faulty computer.

Worth a look.
Old 07-01-08, 02:48 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SATXSC400
^ did you measure the voltage at the starter. Sometimes with a worn out/bad contact iginition switch voltage drops by time it reaches the starter. Also make sure your grounds are all good.
The starter works perfect if I jumper the pins at the relay. Power from the switch does not go to the starter, it just triggers a relay pulse coil thus tripping a larger power source.

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
Does the starter solenoid click or make any kind of sound? Did you check the voltage at the starter relay in the fuse box?
Yes, I am getting no power to the trigger pulse coil side of the relay. Good power on the relay power supply. It just has to be somthing from the switch to the relay.

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I just had this problem. When in the ON position does the CEL on the dashboard show up? Mine did not, faulty computer.

Worth a look.
All dash lights work, I jumpered the start relay poles and started the car and drove it home. The funny thing is the cars dash seemed like it never knew the car started. All the lights stayed on on the cluster like it does when you turn it on before it starts. Probally because I didnt actually start it with the key.

I am starting to wonder about the Anti-Deterrent ECU:anyone know how it functions?
Old 07-01-08, 03:06 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Scott, that side of the relay is powered by the neutral safety switch when the ignition switch is engaged. Have you double checked your connection you made for the NSS?

Im doubtful that its the theft deterrent ECU. Do your locks work (lock/unlock)?
Old 07-01-08, 04:52 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Scott, that side of the relay is powered by the neutral safety switch when the ignition switch is engaged. Have you double checked your connection you made for the NSS?

Im doubtful that its the theft deterrent ECU. Do your locks work (lock/unlock)?
Well, That was my first thought. I checked it and even put a jumper right down on on the transmission plug, still nothing, is there another place closer to the fuse block I could jump it?
Old 07-01-08, 05:39 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Since you're still running the SC400 auto harness, the end of the connector is probably your best bet. Did you double check to make sure all your body plugs are securely fastened?
Old 07-01-08, 08:35 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Since you're still running the SC400 auto harness, the end of the connector is probably your best bet. Did you double check to make sure all your body plugs are securely fastened?
Which body plugs? No luck finding anything tonight.
Old 07-01-08, 09:26 PM
c0wboy
Banned

In electronics, where the electricity stops that's where your problems begin. On the Supra, the ground from the start relay is supplied by the theft deterent ecu. One thing goes wrong and the car won't start. Here's what I did to bypass:

Assuming you've checked all fuses,

First, give the start relay a dedicted ground to bypass the theft ecu. Turn the key and see if the car starts.

If not, locate the ign wire and tap into it. Run that hot line to the 12V trigger on the relay. Turn the key again.

If nothing, run the 12V trigger to battery + and TAP on the positive lead. The starter should fire.

If not, run a larger thick line from the relay starter power to the starter itself and again TAP on the battery lead. The starter should fire.

Thanks Scott, let me kow if it works.

Eric
Old 07-01-08, 09:58 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Double check your grounds man.
Old 07-02-08, 09:23 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....what about the ignition switch? I had to rewire mine to a button for temp. purposes until I got one from my toyota dealership.
Old 07-02-08, 09:36 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ihiryu
....what about the ignition switch? I had to rewire mine to a button for temp. purposes until I got one from my toyota dealership.
I wonder how I could test for that?
Old 07-02-08, 09:54 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my car it, the wire that starts the car is a white/black wire IIRC. And just bypass it, you are intercepting the ignition switch with another switch
Old 07-03-08, 10:30 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Time for a pushbutton start maybe?

Quick Reply: SC400 Wont crank over by key, I need a expert!