Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

got my clutch today!

Old 06-25-08, 09:21 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my clutch today!

so today when i got home i saw my clutch on the front door. i was excited. although its just a stock replacement and made in korea, i think itll be okay for a temporary. gonna start working on it tomarrow, any tips or guides you guys can help me with?

Last edited by rwdanthony; 06-28-08 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 09:50 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

hints are, get a lift, i did it in like 2 hrs on a lift, bot really. drop your whole exhaust and take it out from under the car, unbolt the 3.. i think, bolts at the rear dif, pull drive shaft off. unbolt shifter, ect its not so bad. get the car as high as possible and i mean really high .
Old 06-25-08, 10:14 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use factory bearings. I bought a clutch on ebay and the throwout bearing squeaks when i let off the clutch.
Old 06-25-08, 10:30 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got that clutch set up too! LOL I got it in yesterday after work. If you can do a DIY I would appreciate it. I can't do my clutch replacement for another week. The body shop will have it until Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I do the clutch replacement and it's off again for about a week to get it re painted.
Old 06-26-08, 09:40 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every part that i have to replace on my car is my excuss for upgrade, i rarely go factory spec, but if this is for temp, then fire away
Old 06-26-08, 12:54 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

thank you for the tips/inputs. but idk now, i keep feeling weary about the clutch disk gonna wear out fast :X so yeah it may not even last for as the "temporary" as im thinking for.

TLDriver are you the one who wore out your clucth on the off ramp from a trip or something? ill be more then gladly to write up a DIY tutorial though.

does anyone know if i can use the street ACT clutch disk with an OEM pressure plate?
Old 06-27-08, 08:19 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Yup that was me. I finished off my clutch on the on ramp of the freeway. Thanks for the DIY, but I might be able to get it done today.
Old 06-27-08, 09:31 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you are going for a stock replacement clutch i would have gone with exedy. i bought mine about a year and a half ago and its been through 25K of daily driving, 4 drift events, and a lot of street runs. for the money it has help up beautifully .....knock on wood.

as far as replacement follow 1sxyrxy's advice. its not that hard at all. i did mine in about 3.5 hours. i dropped the exhaust in one piece and unbolted the shifter from the top.

good luck
Old 06-27-08, 12:01 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

wow exedy holding that good even through drift events ill look that up if i ever need to go through this proceedure again. thanks!

but yeah ima drop the whole exhaust after the downpipe of the headers. and then take off the drive shaft, and everything from there should be pretty obvious. wish me luck! and good like to you too TLDriver.
Old 06-27-08, 05:55 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

okay so i ran into a little trouble. im just confused on how did you guys get the two bold on the top of the tranny? o_O help please! id like to take out the tranny by tonight..

Last edited by rwdanthony; 06-27-08 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-27-08, 06:23 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by product.sc
okay so i ran into a little trouble. im just confused on how did you guys get the two bold on the top of the tranny? o_O help please! id liek to take out teh tranny by tonight..
You have to use like a 3 or 4 foot long extension. These are always a pain. The less pieces you use to make that long extension the better.
Old 06-27-08, 07:32 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
You have to use like a 3 or 4 foot long extension. These are always a pain. The less pieces you use to make that long extension the better.
ahh yeah thanks jspec, my autoshop class actually has a 3 and a half foot (i think that long) extension, problem is, schools out is there any other way around it? its super crammed fitting my arms between the intake manifold and firewall.
Old 06-27-08, 10:03 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can loosen the bolts to the motor mounts so you dont rip the mounts. then lower the trans and this will tilt the motor as well. that will give you easy access. that what i did when doing mine and all i needed was a ratchet, socket, and a 12" extension.
Old 06-27-08, 10:26 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

How far along have you gotten?
Old 06-28-08, 02:01 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't get to finish my clutch replacement. I got stuck on that same step for a few hours and finally we got it removed. It took 3 of us to figure it out. So now I'm in SD and my tranny is sitting under my car at home. I wont get to work on it until Monday. Unless my friends go over there and finish it off for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got my clutch today!