Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE swapped dudes, what resistor for coolant temp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 11:02 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GTE swapped dudes, what resistor for coolant temp?

Hey fellas,

In my 92 SC4 the coolant temp has never worked after the GTE swap was done. What resistor do you have to use and does it have to be placed in a certain spot like behind the cluster? Or can you just put it in where the connection is on top of the waterneck?

Thanks
Jon
Old 06-18-08, 03:17 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Hey fellas,

In my 92 SC4 the coolant temp has never worked after the GTE swap was done. What resistor do you have to use and does it have to be placed in a certain spot like behind the cluster? Or can you just put it in where the connection is on top of the waterneck?

Thanks
Jon
A quick search would have yielded an answer . No need for resistor. Below is not my pic but it shows you where to add the ground wire to the white IK2 connector.
Old 06-18-08, 03:58 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man. But, it would help if I knew what the IK2 connector stood for.... Is that a connection where it meets the ecu, or somewhere on the cluster maybe? All I need to do is add a ground wire?
Old 06-18-08, 04:33 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Thanks man. But, it would help if I knew what the IK2 connector stood for.... Is that a connection where it meets the ecu, or somewhere on the cluster maybe? All I need to do is add a ground wire?
The IK2 white connector is what's shown in the pic. I assumed you performed the swap so i though you would understand what i was talking about. It is a connector that comes off the main engine harness that connects to the car near the ecu. Add a ground to where it says "brown wire in 24 pin?" in the pic i posted
Old 06-18-08, 05:20 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

330 ohm res
Old 06-18-08, 09:02 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks 5speed, I did a search but was more confused after I searched then when I started lol. There was so much, "well I did this and it's perfect", and "I did that same thing and it didn't work" I was lost. Then noone ever confirmed anything. They just posted up what the thought would work. Anyway that is what I was needing, thanks.
Old 06-28-08, 01:51 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Ok Wiring gurus here ya go. When I went to add the ground, I found something interesting. There was a wire that tied into the rest of that plugs harness that was grounded to the chassis. The brown wire that I traced with the blue is the one I am talking about. It winds back around and ties into the rest of the wires for the IK2 plug.

This is another picture of where the brown wire goes. I went ahead and added the ground to the wire to the no. 24 pin in the IK2 plug and grounded it out just to see what happened. Thats the black wire that is underneath the brown wire. Still no changes, the needle barely moves on the dash. Any ideas?

*EDIT*

I also tried a couple more things out.
  1. Grouding each wire out at a time, no change
  2. Trying several different grounds for both wires, (seperatly and together) no change
  3. This was really interesting, unhooked both wires, no change.

The gauge moves, but never goes past the first bar. Kinda stumped. I'm pretty sure its the IK2 plug, the wires are pinned the same, just different colors.

Last edited by 2jzlex; 06-28-08 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 02:13 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

how come all the pics i have looked at dont help at all..... lol i have looked at 5-10 pics on this subject and they have all been different and none of them work. heres the thing, when you unplug that plug that you have in your hand my cluster stays on (illuminated/functional). but if i unplug the orange plug that is mounted in that same plastic plug retainer my cluster goes dead (you can see this orange plug in the pic above). also my temp gauge is getting power it reads HOT when car is on and it doesnt go move unitl i turn the car off. there for it has power, it wouldnt be moving at all if it wasnt a complete circuit. and that would mean all i need is a resister behind my cluster. right?
Old 06-28-08, 03:01 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gdc5ind
how come all the pics i have looked at dont help at all..... lol i have looked at 5-10 pics on this subject and they have all been different and none of them work. heres the thing, when you unplug that plug that you have in your hand my cluster stays on (illuminated/functional). but if i unplug the orange plug that is mounted in that same plastic plug retainer my cluster goes dead (you can see this orange plug in the pic above). also my temp gauge is getting power it reads HOT when car is on and it doesnt go move unitl i turn the car off. there for it has power, it wouldnt be moving at all if it wasnt a complete circuit. and that would mean all i need is a resister behind my cluster. right?
I think it's because of the difference in years and people have done it on SC3's and SC4's.
Old 06-28-08, 07:04 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

I had the same issue with mine for 2 months until a friend fixed it. All I remember is that I took off the cluster, went in the garage to get some electrical tape and by the time I came out he connected some wires together and problem solved! PM me and I can ask him, what was done....
Old 06-28-08, 07:21 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...temp+guage+fix
Old 06-28-08, 11:58 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Invalid link
Old 06-29-08, 02:10 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Grrrrr... I have at this thing for hours, searched and searched, tried everything I can find, still not working.... Here's whats happening, previously to all of this my temp gauge would move up to about the first bar, thats it. When I try grounding/ungrounding this wire, I can see the needle move, but never very far. I am POSITIVE that my car is at operating temp. I let it warm up according to the aftermarket temp gauge, boosted it good and hard, with the A/C on for a solid minute or two. It still never got past first mark. When I mess with this wire on the IK2 plug, it will drop and raise when I ground or unground it, just never fully. So I dont know what to think... I have also tried grounding both sides of the IK2 plug, body and engine, both with same results. I have tried unplugging one side (and both) of the plugs and just grounding the wire, same as ever. I know I am messing with the right wire, just can't seem to get it to work properly.
Old 06-29-08, 05:47 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Search temp guage fix with my user name.
Old 06-29-08, 09:37 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Dew23,

I know the thread you are referring to, where connect the wires on the back of your cluster, but I can't make out your instructions or see your picture at all. It was going to be what I originally did at first until I found all these other reports of the fix by just grounding out the no. 24 pin on the IK2 plug. If you could explain it a little more thoroughly I would really appreciate it, this is really bugging the crap out of me.

Quick Reply: GTE swapped dudes, what resistor for coolant temp?