Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weird issue. Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08, 09:13 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Weird issue. Any Ideas?

Ok so out of no where my car starts acting funny....

Symptoms...

1. While driving car is a tiny bit sluggish. Will NOT go past 2,000-2,500 rpms.

2. While driving when getting to 3rd gear or letting off the car will kind of choke for a second, everything gets quiet and it jumps back to life in a split second.

3. At the point where it chokes my A/F meter reads 18+ or --- meaning its leaning out badly this all happens under heavy or light throttle. I dont even get a response with heavy throttle.

Any Idea what this could be? Overfilled tranny? Not enough oil? Bad maf?

I spoke to todd and he mentioned that it could be the weather so I added more fuel no difference. He also mentioned it could be the maf on its deathbed. Maybe it needs cleaning? When I took it out there was some sort of debris blocking one of the honey combs....
Old 06-07-08, 09:59 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what i have or had, too, sometimes choking/bucking when trying to accelerate, also have the 3rd gear bucking/choking but doesn't seem to do it as much as it used to, seems to mostly do it when the engine/transmission/etc. is cold(er). i've heard all kinds of answers, like it could be the MAF, rubber bushings, etc., etc. I really wish we knew exactly why some of our cars do this. I haven't really heard a definite and absolute answer for this kind of problem a lot of us have experienced but have heard a lot of possible solutions. I guess it could just be a number of different things that maybe cause similar or the same problems/results.
Old 06-08-08, 01:08 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was a stock SC then it maybe a bit easier to diagnose. Since Curry's car is turbo as it says on his sig, then there are so many variables.
Try resetting the ecu before anything.
Sounds kinda fuel related. Maybe fuel pump/ecu?

Last edited by TheMole; 06-08-08 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-08-08, 06:07 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I thought about the fuel pump for a second as well and I read that the fuel ECU sometimes likes to stop working. I did do a reset on the ECU a few times, but had no luck with that.
Old 06-08-08, 06:45 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I also forgot to mention. In idle or park the car will rev up normally.
Old 06-08-08, 08:39 AM
turbosw20
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DId you do the fuel pump bypass?My car would do that as soon as i would do that and i adjusted my tps.Also what settings are you using on the safc it can be your low throttle settings i had to mess with mine for a while to get it just right.
Old 06-08-08, 09:18 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

A few other things that I noticed today while making the drive to work: (At this point I have the charge pipe off so im running NA right now. No turbo.)

1. I bypassed the Fuel ECU to see if that would do anything, made no change. I used B+ and FP. It made no change at all.

2. While at idle the A/F bounces around from 10 to 18 back and forth.

3. When the car stalls it always happens when it goes really lean. I tapped the gas while in drive and the A/F bounced to 18+ and the car stalled.

I'm going reset the afc later today and see if that helps. Its been running fine for a while I have no idea why it would just start crapping.

I know that the weather just got really hot here and I tried to adjust the settings on the AFC a little to see if it needed more fuel, but that didn't really help. It helped keeping the car from stalling out so I could get home but it didnt help with the RPMS issue. Even after a few ECU resets, nothing.
Old 06-10-08, 07:01 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I was able to get a maf to borrow from hugh and that solved the issue. I drove the car to work this morning and it drove fine aside from idling super reach and then going lean under acceleration.

So I am now awaiting a new maf.

Just curious. Do you guys think that increased engine bay temperatures can play a role in damaging the sensor/maf? I have nothing heat wraped in my bay at the moment. Either that or like everyone says the boost just messed the maf up some how.
Old 06-10-08, 10:06 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Curry,

I do not own a turbo but I've seen similar symptoms with a non-turbo Mazda I used to own. The engine would react very sluggishly ... like it wasn't getting enough fuel. After doing some research on-line I found other owners with similar problems. I thought that the MAF may have gone bad but after checking the engine I found ... and get this ... that the plastic air intake had dried and cracked BEHIND the MAF. This meant that the MAF was reading little/no airflow ... and was setting the fuel WAY too lean. I used some duct tape to close the crack and guess what ... it was fixed. The air was again travelling through the air filter and the MAF so the correct amount of fuel was being delivered to the cylinders.

This may not be your problem ... but check out your intake for any leaks.
Old 06-10-08, 10:28 AM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Any cel's after the car starts to spit and spudder? Check your knock sensors, they could be detecting knock and pulling out a lot of timing.
Old 06-10-08, 10:49 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the MAF! When will u learn to listen to me!
Old 06-10-08, 11:35 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 100mgbluep
Any cel's after the car starts to spit and spudder? Check your knock sensors, they could be detecting knock and pulling out a lot of timing.
No CEL's or anything like that. Car isn't doing anything funny now. I'll see how it runs after I get the new MAF on there.

Originally Posted by lexdud
Curry,

I do not own a turbo but I've seen similar symptoms with a non-turbo Mazda I used to own. The engine would react very sluggishly ... like it wasn't getting enough fuel. After doing some research on-line I found other owners with similar problems. I thought that the MAF may have gone bad but after checking the engine I found ... and get this ... that the plastic air intake had dried and cracked BEHIND the MAF. This meant that the MAF was reading little/no airflow ... and was setting the fuel WAY too lean. I used some duct tape to close the crack and guess what ... it was fixed. The air was again travelling through the air filter and the MAF so the correct amount of fuel was being delivered to the cylinders.

This may not be your problem ... but check out your intake for any leaks.
The intake is good. I did check that and there were no leaks. As soon as I slapped the new MAF on there it worked fine. The car ran rich but other than that it picks up like it did before.

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
Its the MAF! When will u learn to listen to me!
Never!! haha. No worries. I have one on the way thanks to dasbach!
Old 06-10-08, 02:51 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Cancel that! Doesn't look like its the MAF. I came outta work and the car started doing the same crap again.

I'm going to check all the plugs, wires and the dist cap. Then I'll have to check the timing to see if that could be off for some reason.
Old 06-11-08, 06:59 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

One thing I took note of. At idle the car runs so rich it struggles to stay on, but yet I have no black smoke coming out of my pipes. my A/F reads 10, even after doing -40% on the AFC

When I try to accelerate, it shoots up to past 18 going super lean and again it tries to die. Sometimes it will die. Some times during idle it will just shoot back and forth between 10 and 15
Old 06-11-08, 09:33 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Did some more checking this morning. I smacked the TPS around and checked the wiring on my AFC.

Now the car runs good. The only issue is that it runs rich. I don't get black smoke out of my pipes.

What happens is while in park the A/F will bounce between 10.00 and 12.71. At this point I still have the charge pipe for the turbo off so im running NA. When I try to adjust it with the AFC I go -50% and STILL it bounces this time between 11.00 and 13.51

The car actually died on me from running rich while I was making a turn into my block.

Any ideas what that could be?

Quick Reply: Weird issue. Any Ideas?