Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 sc400 Just purchased with problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 05:46 PM
cvmardre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 sc400 Just purchased with problems

Hello guys,

I just joined the lexus family. I am coming to you from Honda

However, I am having some issues. I have been searching the forums to see what the cause of my problems could be. Here are my issues. The car is laggy. When I stump the throttle it revs up, but pulls slowly. When I first got the car it only had one coil wire plugged up, so naturally I purchased some wires and put the coil wire on. I haven't replaced all the plugs yet, because the guy I got it from said that he had just put them on and they look fairly new.

After plugging the coil up. It wasn't too much better. So, I figured that the cats where clogged. So, I had new cats installed today. While I was at it, I had the middle resonator taken out and created a true dual exhaust. After all this is done, the car sounds different, but still laggy. I plan on changing all the plugs tomorrow along with the wires. Although the plugs are fairly new, due to the coil not being plugged up, they make be fouled out. I also, have new distributor caps and rotors coming. I am new to the lexus/toyota world, but I now the car is suppose to pull a whole lot harder than it is now, I think. correct me if I am wrong.

Do you guys have any other suggestions as to what may be wrong? The car has 185K on it. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-08, 06:04 PM
cvmardre
Driver School Candidate

any suggestions?
Old 06-04-08, 07:33 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Replace both coils while your at it, most likely your problem is a weak ignition .
Old 06-04-08, 07:35 PM
cvmardre
Driver School Candidate

that's what I was thinking. thanks. I want to just eliminate all possible issues.
Old 06-05-08, 04:08 AM
cvmardre
Driver School Candidate

any other ideas/suggestions?
Old 06-05-08, 06:30 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

if the engine revs but car still feels slow, wouldn't this point to transmission problems? sorry, don't know much about automatics...just a thought.
Old 06-08-08, 07:09 PM
cvmardre
Driver School Candidate

Well according to the jolt I received from the coils while the car was running, leads me to think that it's not the coils. When I pull the coil on the passenger side the car won't start, but it started when i pull the plug on the coil on the driver side.

Since both coils shocked me, I assummed it was the distributor cap and rotor on the driver side not good. So, I pulled a plug wire and stuck a screw driver in it to try and see it arc...nothing. So, now I think it is the dizzy cap and rotor, so I ordered both dizzy caps and rotors. Hopefully this cures my problem.
Old 06-08-08, 07:22 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might check your throttle position sensor, and does it down shift when you stomp on it? Might tighten up and adjust your tranny kick down cable...

Originally Posted by topendusa
Well according to the jolt I received from the coils while the car was running, leads me to think that it's not the coils. When I pull the coil on the passenger side the car won't start, but it started when i pull the plug on the coil on the driver side.

Since both coils shocked me, I assummed it was the distributor cap and rotor on the driver side not good. So, I pulled a plug wire and stuck a screw driver in it to try and see it arc...nothing. So, now I think it is the dizzy cap and rotor, so I ordered both dizzy caps and rotors. Hopefully this cures my problem.
Old 06-10-08, 01:34 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't believe the dual exhaust on the SC400 is better without the cross connect. I think it works better with it to balance each bank, but not that sure.

Also, while you are doing all this stuff, make sure you have the Lexus recommended Denso or NGK plugs (and not the other replacements that some auto parts stores will sell you) along with the original Lexus parts for the spark plug wire and harness clips to make sure the wires are crossed properly around the engine.

Good Luck,

Tim
Old 06-10-08, 01:41 PM
cvmardre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Steelwheel
Don't believe the dual exhaust on the SC400 is better without the cross connect. I think it works better with it to balance each bank, but not that sure.

Also, while you are doing all this stuff, make sure you have the Lexus recommended Denso or NGK plugs (and not the other replacements that some auto parts stores will sell you) along with the original Lexus parts for the spark plug wire and harness clips to make sure the wires are crossed properly around the engine.

Good Luck,

Tim
Cool thanks. I actually used the NGKs, but I am trying the new E3 plugs to see if they are worth the hype. Wires are OEM.
Old 06-19-08, 02:56 PM
cvmardre
Driver School Candidate

So, I had the cats replaced and finally figured out why it was running on only 4 cylinders. The rotor in one of the distributors had broke all up. I replaced both caps and rotors and while I was at it, I installed the KN filter kit.

I thought things were fixed, but when i start the car it idles at 2500-3000rpms. I thought it was the MAF, so I got one from the junkyard, but it threw the same codes. Which are:

24-Intake air temp sensor
25-Air-fuel ratio lean malfunction
31-Air flow meter signal

My next steps are to purchase another MAF and replace all the O2 Sensors which I have already ordered.

What do you guys think is going on?
Old 06-19-08, 03:23 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you are on the right track. With 185K though, I would highly recomend replacing both coils.
Old 06-19-08, 08:21 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you get a maf from a 92, because it's not really a maf, it's a karmen vortex sensor, similar to DSM's
Old 06-19-08, 09:53 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topendusa
So, I had the cats replaced and finally figured out why it was running on only 4 cylinders. The rotor in one of the distributors had broke all up. I replaced both caps and rotors and while I was at it, I installed the KN filter kit.

I thought things were fixed, but when i start the car it idles at 2500-3000rpms. I thought it was the MAF, so I got one from the junkyard, but it threw the same codes. Which are:

24-Intake air temp sensor
25-Air-fuel ratio lean malfunction
31-Air flow meter signal

My next steps are to purchase another MAF and replace all the O2 Sensors which I have already ordered.

What do you guys think is going on?
Sounds like you are on the right track man. I had to replace the O2 sensors when I got my sc300, it's a common problem. Hopefully I'll get to meet you at the next race850 meet.
Old 06-20-08, 05:46 AM
cvmardre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ihiryu
make sure you get a maf from a 92, because it's not really a maf, it's a karmen vortex sensor, similar to DSM's
Okay. I'm thinking it may be one of the problems, but I will get the o2 sensors tomorrow and go from there, because as we know one problem can cause multiple codes.

Quick Reply: 92 sc400 Just purchased with problems