Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dual walbro fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 05:19 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how are you guys providing the electirical feed for the second pump?

I know i can run a relay off the trigger for the 12V's from the Fuel Pump ECU to have it kick on only when there is a load, and that i feed straight from the battery, but I can't figure out how to get past the lid to the tank. I have ports for the fuel coming out there, but the passes for the positive and negative and coated. i'm sceptical about removing the coating with how much crap I have in the back seat, and how i am stripped in the back.
Old 06-26-08, 06:11 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ConSynX
how are you guys providing the electirical feed for the second pump?

I know i can run a relay off the trigger for the 12V's from the Fuel Pump ECU to have it kick on only when there is a load, and that i feed straight from the battery, but I can't figure out how to get past the lid to the tank. I have ports for the fuel coming out there, but the passes for the positive and negative and coated. i'm sceptical about removing the coating with how much crap I have in the back seat, and how i am stripped in the back.
Hi ConSynX,

The second 12V lead in installed through the pass through. The ground point is at the strap itself. The strap is a wide honkin' piece of aluminum so it'll conduct just fine. The strap is affixed to the points at the tank.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 06-26-08, 07:53 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

i think i get what you are saying.

what i am worried about is the pass through for two main reasons:

Aren't they generally rated by amperage? if so, can the oem pass through handle the current drawn by two walbros?

How do i get the new wire attached to the pass through that is covered in the substance to separate it from the ground?
Old 06-26-08, 09:21 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by ConSynX
i think i get what you are saying.

what i am worried about is the pass through for two main reasons:

Aren't they generally rated by amperage? if so, can the oem pass through handle the current drawn by two walbros?

How do i get the new wire attached to the pass through that is covered in the substance to separate it from the ground?
The pass through is a proper bulkhead conector and it just allows the line to literally pass through and connect to the relays. It's a stainless assembly with a viton rubber ring on the interior to hold the line in place. There's no soldering required, just pull the wires through and land into the relays.

Thanks!!

Eric
Old 06-27-08, 09:35 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

are we talking about the same sc300 hanger? lol.
i'll have to take another look at the oem hanger, don't remember a gromet.

Thanks for your help through this so far.
Old 06-27-08, 12:05 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Right, not the OEM hanger, I was refering to the billet hanger. Sorry for the mix up man.

Eric
Old 06-27-08, 02:58 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

ahhhh, I'm trying to figure out how to run the second lead for the oem hanger. . .
Anyone?
Old 06-29-08, 07:15 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Default re:

bumperooski. . .
after googling, it seems like the ideal is to get a sealed bulkhead meant for fuel use...
where to get one?
and also, i found post of someone that was using something like it, but it still required epoxy sealing???
Old 07-14-08, 02:38 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Bumping because it would be nice to have dependable electrical feeds for both pumps.
Old 07-14-08, 02:44 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Im sure c0wboy could help you out with getting something that will seal. I know he has helped another member on here.
Old 07-15-08, 06:17 PM
forcefed86
Pole Position

Did you use the MVP hangar? How did you install it?

Just a suggestion but I rigged my second walbro to a pressure switch. The second pump only comes on at anything over 10psi. NO need to have them both going all the time

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
Why would I run into the same problem with 2 walbro fuel pumps? Explain please...

I installed the 2nd walbro fuel pump last night- it fits like a glove
It fits perfectly in the "bucket" looking thing in the fuel tank. I did run a 4 gauge wire from the battery to a relay, and wired the relay in order to get max voltage.

I also did this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=walbro

I haven't tuned it at high boost yet, but the car does run a bit richer. My fuel pressure went up from ~40psi to about 55psi, so I had to turn it back down. These little suckers whine... sounds kinda cool IMO haha.

I'll post up some pics. I didn't use a new hanger- I just clamped the fuel pump to the first walbro, and replaced the hard line thats normally connected to the hanger with a 5/16" fuel line and T'd it off. I have some pics that I'll upload to this thread once I find my camera.

I'll probably tune it at high boost sometime next week.. hopefully I don't run outta fuel. Whatta u guys think of the setup now? I have 1 relay for both pumps, and I also did that other 12v mod (link above).

Allen