Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dual walbro fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 06:33 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got mine from titan. about a year ago, they had the best prices for them.
Old 06-05-08, 06:35 AM
c0wboy
Banned

MVP Motorsports has WAYYY better pricing on stock Supra Denso pumps. But still even with the denso pump, the same problem is going to pop up. You're maxed when it comes to a single internal pump.

Eric
Old 06-05-08, 12:26 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by c0wboy
...even with the denso pump, the same problem is going to pop up. You're maxed when it comes to a single internal pump.
Maxed out at 464whp? I disagree. You don't need dual fuel pumps to make that number. There are countless people making that and above on one pump. It also flies in the face of theTest Conclusion of the fuel pumps on MKIV: "When higher voltage is supplied, the Supra pump is good for injectors up to 880 cc/min. At 13.5 supplied volts no other in-tank pump flows significantly more fuel up to 70 psi line pressure or 27 psi boost. The Walbro flows 10 - 40 lph less than the Denso at 13.5v and above."

It is possible that the dampner tweak mentioned earlier might deliver the fuel needed w/o a pump change. But it would be PITA. At least his Walbro has been reliable, but it would be better off with your 10g dedicated wiring. A Denso is going to rock at 13.5v and well with its capability for those power needs.

Last edited by SCoupe; 06-05-08 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 01:05 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Check Titan for the TT pumps.

Sounds like you need the dual pump (insurance) set up + rail + SS fuel lines + SX Performance EFI regulator + fuel filter + Fuel pressure gauge.
A complete fuel set up.

Get it done and forget about it.

I would not boost beyond stock system on one pump.
One pump set up is OK until pump goes out and pop your engine.

* Higher voltage would reduce the pump life.

Last edited by clevercat; 06-05-08 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 04:07 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by SCoupe
Maxed out at 464whp? I disagree. You don't need dual fuel pumps to make that number. There are countless people making that and above on one pump. .
The MKIV Supra community has shown ~ the 500rwhp range to be as high as it's going to go safely. 550rwhp if the pump us beaten to death.

Eric

Also MVP has the Denso pumps for sale @ $247.
Old 06-06-08, 10:04 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

The MKIV Supra community has shown ~ the 500rwhp range to be as high as it's going to go safely. 550rwhp if the pump is beaten to death. Eric.
Agree with those numbers.
Old 06-06-08, 11:19 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need a new hanger... Just attatch the pump to the OEM hanger... I don;t know how you will hook the hose to the stock rail. You can either weld a AN fitting or run it through the stock line with a Y. Use your stock wiring as the turn on wire into a relay and run 8-10 gauge power wire from the battery, It should only cost you about $125 including the new walbro... I did this with my 700 RWHP supra... Here's some pics... PM if you have any questions..

Old 06-06-08, 01:44 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AL, give me a call ill get u cost +10% on the fule pump from toyota.
Old 06-06-08, 03:14 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by fried_rice
You dont need a new hanger... Just attatch the pump to the OEM hanger... I don;t know how you will hook the hose to the stock rail. You can either weld a AN fitting or run it through the stock line with a Y. Use your stock wiring as the turn on wire into a relay and run 8-10 gauge power wire from the battery, It should only cost you about $125 including the new walbro... I did this with my 700 RWHP supra... Here's some pics... PM if you have any questions..
The issue with the SC is that it's completely different and in two assemblies. The jack leg is angled (97 and older) to fit into the swirl pot, and two pump won't sit side by side; they have to be angled as well. It's an entirely different situation from a MKIV Supra.

Eric
Old 06-19-08, 06:37 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

You're still going to run into the same problem, unfortunately.

Eric
Why would I run into the same problem with 2 walbro fuel pumps? Explain please...

I installed the 2nd walbro fuel pump last night- it fits like a glove
It fits perfectly in the "bucket" looking thing in the fuel tank. I did run a 4 gauge wire from the battery to a relay, and wired the relay in order to get max voltage.

I also did this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=walbro

I haven't tuned it at high boost yet, but the car does run a bit richer. My fuel pressure went up from ~40psi to about 55psi, so I had to turn it back down. These little suckers whine... sounds kinda cool IMO haha.

I'll post up some pics. I didn't use a new hanger- I just clamped the fuel pump to the first walbro, and replaced the hard line thats normally connected to the hanger with a 5/16" fuel line and T'd it off. I have some pics that I'll upload to this thread once I find my camera.

I'll probably tune it at high boost sometime next week.. hopefully I don't run outta fuel. Whatta u guys think of the setup now? I have 1 relay for both pumps, and I also did that other 12v mod (link above).

Allen
Old 06-19-08, 07:18 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
Why would I run into the same problem with 2 walbro fuel pumps? Explain please...

I installed the 2nd walbro fuel pump last night- it fits like a glove
It fits perfectly in the "bucket" looking thing in the fuel tank. I did run a 4 gauge wire from the battery to a relay, and wired the relay in order to get max voltage.

I also did this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=walbro

I haven't tuned it at high boost yet, but the car does run a bit richer. My fuel pressure went up from ~40psi to about 55psi, so I had to turn it back down. These little suckers whine... sounds kinda cool IMO haha.

I'll post up some pics. I didn't use a new hanger- I just clamped the fuel pump to the first walbro, and replaced the hard line thats normally connected to the hanger with a 5/16" fuel line and T'd it off. I have some pics that I'll upload to this thread once I find my camera.

I'll probably tune it at high boost sometime next week.. hopefully I don't run outta fuel. Whatta u guys think of the setup now? I have 1 relay for both pumps, and I also did that other 12v mod (link above).

Allen
I believe I was referencing hitting the same wall when running only 1 pump. You may want to consider running 1 relay per pump, though.

Eric
Old 06-19-08, 10:17 PM
qksl2
Pole Position

I'll get some pics of the install tomorrow.

Ian
Old 06-25-08, 12:08 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Wink

There are a few pics... fits like a glove- no modding/cutting the little bucket thing either. I'm going to attempt to tune on Thursday night at higher boost, hopefully the adjustable FPR, relay, and 2nd walbro fuel pump will allow me to run the boost I want (26+psi on C16 race gas).

Allen
Old 06-26-08, 03:41 PM
2jznat
Pole Position

mine fit fine and have been running for 3 years without any bs hanger that is coated and does not conduct the ground without huge amount of resistants. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!!!!
Old 06-26-08, 04:26 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Woooow, Dave. Never thought you'd be like that. I guess it is what it is.

Eric

Quick Reply: Dual walbro fuel pumps?