Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

custom exhaust idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 02:16 AM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom exhaust idea

i did a little research on exhaust for the sc300 and theres not much selection i was looking for greddy but seems they no longer make exhaust for the scs? i was thinking to buy some titanium canisters with the heated tip i think the one i was looking into was for a supra 95 mm piping and 120mm tip i want to keep my exhaust dual so i would buy two of these go to a shop that does exhaust get get titanium piping all the way back to the headers(might get toms headers) but anyways back to the point would this work well? would it have a performance sound? any exhaust on the market that would be lighter and produce more power? sorry for so much talk let me know what your input is thanks!
Old 05-26-08, 02:23 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

a single exhaust for inline 6 would be better because there would be less kinks from headers to tip...and will probably cost you less also
Old 05-26-08, 02:57 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

hmm are you going to go boost? or stay n/a? cause if your planning to go that big for dual, i think you would lose power?
Old 05-26-08, 03:31 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yes that's what I've heard...which is why high powered turbo cars have only single exit tip. HOWEVER, our bumpers is designed for double exit exhaust...sooo, if you're willing to have power at the expense of looks then so single.

search up Blizzy's lecture about this, I've gained so much reading his posts. Everything from number of kinks to size of piping can affect power
Old 05-26-08, 11:10 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this would work so well in a perfect world...except for the fact that titanium is expensive, working with it can be a pain in the d*ck, and in most cases you have to do pie cut and weld every inch for titanium because it doesnt like to bend all too well. if you look at a lot of racing exhaust of intercooler piping that is TI you will see that it is not mandrel bent but cut in small sections and welded together to make bends. it is a huge pain in the butt.

i wouldnt worry about weight of the exhaust if i were you. i would just do a full SS exhaust and call it a day.

as far as performance gains it will all depend on engine modifications as well. headers are usually made to work efficiently at a certain rpm range. same goes for the rest of the exhaust as far as diameter of piping is concerned.

if you have a stock motor and dont plan to do any major modifications to the car such as NAT or a swap then a 2.5" would be more then enough.

if you go NAT or swap then you should get a 3".

after the y pipe that splits the exhaust for two mufflers you should do a 2-2.25".

if you have pipes that are too big that can actually cause some hesitation and also loss of power. efficient exhaust design is not as easy as most people make it seem. its not as simple as 2", 3", 4". you have to figure out your goals for the car, all possible modifications, and then make the exhaust system. last thing you wanna do is make an exhaust and spend all that money and it will not be what you expected.

BTW dual cans sound good even on stock exhaust. i have some big cans. they have 2.75" inlets and 4.5" tips. i welded then to the stock y pipe. will everything being stock they sound deep and mean. they only are grumpy and mean up to 3500rpm. after that its sounds only a bit louder then stock. perfect for a lot of highway driving. around town its nice
Old 05-27-08, 07:46 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

id definitly go with 5sp_jzz30 tips, he knows what hes talking about
Old 10-21-09, 11:52 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking at adding a single turbo to my 2JZ-GE motor (NA-T). I am only wanting like low to mid 300hp at the wheel, I would say 400max. I want a dual exhaust setup, would I want to stick with dual MagnaFlow 14829 with a 3in DP to 2.25in all the way back. Or would dual MagnaFlow 14835 with 3in for the entire system be better ??
Old 10-21-09, 02:31 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To save weight and money just saws-all it from the down pipe, no power limitation to that setup. (Joke)

Suggestion... Maybe you can go with a single outlet with your choice of muffler, and get your bumper modded (filled) to make it a single outlet bumper.
Old 10-21-09, 04:36 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought about that but I really like the dual exhaust look. So that is why I am wondering if having the full system 3in is too much or after the X-Crossover reducing it down to match the 2.25 for the MagnaFlow 14829.
Old 10-25-09, 02:22 AM
gabe74gt
Driver School Candidate

I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 43034. Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.

Last edited by gabe74gt; 10-27-09 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-25-09, 05:00 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if you hold up for a few , my full 3in system will be forsale

it will be from midpipe back

3 inch split into 3inch piping into dual 3 in magnaflow race series mufflers ..

this would be pnp for you.. selling because i want to go full polished stainless steel into blitz pans ( wickedsc has the blitz and make do i love them)

lmk