Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Going the 1JZ route

Old 06-27-08, 07:02 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Update:
We've wired in a push start to deal with the starter business and I've started to put the car back together. It did have the 3k rpm problem, but I got that sorted out. After searching for hours on Supraforums, I came across an old post by CCC-TT that said to cut one of the wires on a body plug. (black wire number 10 on the white plug next to the orange one) It solved the problem immediately.
Only problem left is no power steering. Is there a certain way to fill the system or do I just pour some fluid in until it reaches the full mark? Thanks.
Old 06-30-08, 06:32 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Pretty much done. Still have to do some things, like power steering and A/C. But other than that, its running pretty well. Not bad for a first swap.

Old 07-01-08, 08:12 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

wow... Congrats!...

The pics you took make the swap look easy.
Old 07-01-08, 09:50 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how hard is the swap? im going to be attempting this myself... ive done stuff to my cars before so i know a bit about cars but this would be my first swap as well
Old 07-01-08, 11:23 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

nice job man glad to see you got it up and running..

oh yeah if CCC-TT reads this i'd like to thank him as well, his info really came in handy.
Old 07-02-08, 09:09 PM
pinoyFMtC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
how hard is the swap? im going to be attempting this myself... ive done stuff to my cars before so i know a bit about cars but this would be my first swap as well
I'm Onejay's friend, I helped him do the entire swap

The most we've done on cars, other than oil changes, were brake pads and sway bars. Neither Brian nor I have ever done anything close to a swap before, and we were able to get it done. However, it took a lot of time.

We had to ask a lot of questions at Toyota and ask friends questions. Along with countless runs to auto parts stores and Toyota for parts and tools.

It's a pretty straighforward swap overall...
Old 07-02-08, 11:00 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_250
wow... Congrats!...

The pics you took make the swap look easy.
Thanks! I tried to take pictures at the times when it looked like we knew what we were doing.

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
It wasn't too hard considering the amount of work. Most of it was pretty straightforward, but we ran into a couple of issues with the heater hoses, charcoal canister, and some vacuum lines that we still need to figure out. We managed to fill it up with some cheapo Autozone oil, and then drained it and filled it with Royal Purple. The oil change is where we ran into most of our problems. *cough* oil on the floor, on my hands, on the valve cover, almost forgot to change filter. *cough* lol.

Originally Posted by aka paco
nice job man glad to see you got it up and running..

oh yeah if CCC-TT reads this i'd like to thank him as well, his info really came in handy.
Thanks. And yea, CCC-TT's thread was a BIG help. I probably couldn't have done it without all his info. Thanks!
Old 07-02-08, 11:34 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay
Thanks. And yea, CCC-TT's thread was a BIG help. I probably couldn't have done it without all his info. Thanks!
I was in pretty much the same boat as all of you when i did my swap, I just figured i'd share the info. Im glad you found it helpful
Old 07-05-08, 02:03 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AudibleS.
I have been lurking here and there for a few weeks now and I just joined today simply to give you props guys. Gorgeous car, thanks for the quasi-write up, it helped me choose between going with a boostlogic kit on the stock 2jz or simply buying a 1jz from Canada
Thanks! I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 1jz either. Good luck on your project!
Old 07-05-08, 02:18 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Gotta buy an SC3 first Currently I'm stuck w/ my 97 VR4 Should have the SC by August though. I am just not sure whether or not to get a mid-high mile roller for cheap and blow the money on the engine/performance OR buy a decently low mile car and swap the 1jz into that leaving it mostly stock.

Miles and pics of your car please? Also where did you make your 1jz purchase from? Do you also have a list of the misc crap you bought here and there to make it work? Sorry to be all nosey, I just want to do it right the first time.
145,000 miles on the car.
98,000 miles on the engine.
I got the engine from Jarco. I think their website is www.jarcoinc.com. Jhot also has good engines for a great price. As for misc stuff i needed, there was a new water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, drive belt, engine mounts, oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, oil pans, funnels, jack, jackstands, engine hoist (rental), paper towels, soap, snacks, beverages, and a few good friends. I'm sure there are a few things I'm forgetting, but I think this is most of the stuff you'll need.
Also, what kind of VR-4 is it? 3000GT? Galant?
Old 07-05-08, 02:28 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

1997 3000GT VR4..lucky #7. I've just outgrown that platform, and after 5 years, 7 cars, and roughly 50k invested I thought it a better idea to invest in a "Poor Man's Supra" instead. Thanks for the info brother.
I love those VR-4's. They're so nice. I have a friend with a Stealth R/T getting the engine built right now. I think he's putting twin 16g's on it which should be good for around 400 horses. wow.
Glad to share the info.
Old 07-05-08, 02:39 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

SC300 weighs about as much as a VR4, and as you said he should be putting down 4xxwhp on a conservative tune and 93 octane. Race him from a roll only Is your car manual or ATX? I'm told that the stock 5spds in these cars don't handle 400-500hp very well. I plan to keep my car Automatic and add a tranny cooler/shift kit. Automatic+Turbo = Win
Mine is a 5 speed. I only plan on making around 300-350whp for now, but if I ever make more, I'll probably go for the R154 from the Soarer.
Old 07-05-08, 04:38 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

There are a few 5 speeds for sale by me now...I just prefer to drive auto living in NYC. Your engine didn't come with a turbo I assume..so what did you put on her? Also are you planning to upgrade to FMIC? Looks like a stock SMIC on her now.

Edit/PS: You didn't have to buy a turbo ecu?
Ya, sounds like traffic with a manual would be a real nightmare. My original engine did not come with a turbo, hence the swap. lol. And my next mod is going to be FMIC and a real intake. Not just the filter slapped next to all that exhaust heat. The 1jz I got from Jarco came with the ecu as well.
Old 07-06-08, 12:34 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

I meant the 1jz didn't come with a turbo I'm pleased about this so far. Seems like it isn't a bad bang for your buck swap. I found a 1jz for $1,000 on ebay.
Oh, sorry misunderstood. There is a 1JZ-GE non turbo, but most (like mine) are the 1JZ-GTE twin turbo. I don't even know what the non turbo motor came in. lol.
Old 07-07-08, 12:06 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Got around to fabbing up an intake. I hated the thought of keeping the filter just sitting in the back of the engine bay. So introducing, the home depot intake. lol. :P

Before

After

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going the 1JZ route