Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My sc300 swap nightmare unfolds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 08:43 AM
1fastgst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sc300 swap nightmare unfolds...

Hi all, my first writeup ever. I dont really like talking and usually just do a lot of reading, but after what I have gone through with this car in the last few months , I figured I would share it with others so they may be very cautious when making a move towards modifying their car.

The story begins:

1995 Lexus sc300. Did a turbo gs300 at my job for a customer, and I loved it. I immediately sold my DSM (1996 AWD spyder) built by me, and made the move towards procuring a sc300. Pics of awd spyder:

For those that dont know, they never made the eclipse spyder in awd.

Found a clean sc300 on fleabay, and after hours of negotiating with the guy, ordered it up. The car was shipped from Miami FL to Philadelphia PA (guy wouldnt let me drive it home wtf!?!) As soon as it came off the trailer I was pissed. There was paintwork all over the car. It crabwalked down the road (later I found bent suspension components), tires were bald, and it wouldn't shift into overdrive (bad ecu). There were also like 30 bulbs out and cd changer and other **** didnt work. WTF!?!

Whatever. I fixed all the **** and drove it for like a month. I was planning on ripping the motor out anyways. Only thing that was good was the motor and trans that I ripped out and sold anyways. I put over 1k into just making it driveable. Door locks still dont work. Keyless fob I ordered doesnt work. All the vents are messed up, and the car has a noisy ac compressor.

Here are pictures of the car after I put wheels on it, and ripped the motor out.

Oh gee, there are my supra hoses and 40 wires laying on the seat. I took this pic today and the motor has been out over a month. Lets see why

NAGASAKI JDM MOTORS

Yeah, I figured I would order up my jdm 1jz swap and throw it in and have my car going down the road. HAHA, wrong. They sent me the wrong motor, front sump.

Yeah front sump. Funny, look at their auction. ACTUAL PICTURES OF MOTOR.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN:IT&ih=024

Yeah right.
Old 05-22-08, 08:46 AM
1fastgst
Rookie

OK, honest mistake after I argued with them for about a week, they finally took it back and sent me another one. They wanted to send me parts to convert the motor. Hell no, I just wanted to drop it in. Send me a rear sump. Surely they did.

Wow, this motor was in worse shape than the first one. We are now a month in with no car. I gave them bad feedback and put in a paypal dispute. They wouldnt even talk with me until I pulled the dispute and withdrew the feedback.

I figured 1200$ gone, I would have to deal with them. I pulled the disputes, and they offered to send me parts to fix the motor. I told him how trashed it was and he was *****ing about all the money he lost on shipping already. I was like whatever. Send me the harness and all the other broken stuff and ill fix it up. GRR. I still have not received the replacement parts as of today. Their operation is very shady and not customer oriented. I should have went JHOT or another established jdm vendor but I just didnt know.

After checking it out on the surface, with rust in all the water outlets and stuff and oil coking in the oil cap area I figured UGGGG I have to open this **** up. There is no way im going to put this in my car.
Old 05-22-08, 08:47 AM
1fastgst
Rookie

We find this:

I totally ripped the motor apart and sent it to the machine shop. The head is costing me 500$ to correct at the machine shop (leaky valves), and warped surface.

I figured now is the time for me to do a build the way I want it. I already ordered my gasket set from jeff at champion toyota $150 shipped, and water pump $120 shipped.

I got my acl race bearings and arp studs today.

I will post more pics later when I get my block back from the shop today. I have to type this up at work as my "I" key failed on my laptop at home wtf.

I will try to be as thorough with the build as I get further on in the process. I will try to document everything, including the quest for sourcing parts on this red headed stepchild engine (like the rings that are a ***** to find). I guess I will make the my official first thread that establishes my name in the lexus community
Old 05-22-08, 09:19 AM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

Nice, i currently have a dsm and gs300. Although i won't mod the gs300 beyond aesthetics, i will be picking up an sc300 eventually for the gte treatment.

Where in pa are you?
Old 05-22-08, 09:28 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

another pa guy / so far i havent run into another 1j sc around these parts. if your close to philly give me a shout i did my own swap as well.
Old 05-22-08, 09:36 AM
1fastgst
Rookie

Haha, yeah im in philly. olmy, I have seen you around the dsm boards quite heavy also.
Old 05-22-08, 10:03 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Welcome to clublexus.Sorry too see your swap did not go as planned, suscribed for the build.
Old 05-22-08, 10:23 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to clublexus, that sucks major that youve gone through all that pita but hopefully your up and running soon.
Old 05-22-08, 10:31 AM
CrackerJac
Driver

Damn, hope to see the rest later!
Old 05-22-08, 11:03 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

damn man that sucks to here about the condition you got your motor in.

at least you'll have a fresh engine going in, just sucks about the delay's..

goodluck keep us updated on the build.
Old 05-22-08, 11:40 AM
1fastgst
Rookie

Looky Looky, block and other things came back from the machine shop. Still waiting on the head.

Block required no correction. Everything is good, thank god.
He told me to reuse the mains because they look really good, but im not going to do that. I believe the acl race has better heat transfer characteristics.

I have to mask the block now for paint. Im thinking gunmetal black
Old 05-22-08, 12:17 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

wow, that is quite the story you have there, keep up the good work and do this car some real justice unlike some people...

What are your HP goals for the car?
Old 05-22-08, 12:21 PM
1fastgst
Rookie

couldnt get the gunmetal black, so black and clear it is:

Old 05-22-08, 12:28 PM
1fastgst
Rookie

here are the pistons, that I cant find rings for wtf. I was going to switch to 2j pistons but costs of this project are killing me. Devis in california has them (so they say) NOTICE 2jz rings wont work!

Old 05-22-08, 12:46 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to hear about your unplanned extra work but at least once done you will have a solid motor.

Quick Reply: My sc300 swap nightmare unfolds...