Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

All Aluminum Radiators - All the same or what? And does the Egg Trick work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 06:56 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All Aluminum Radiators - All the same or what? And does the Egg Trick work?

On first note, my radiator is presumably leaking because there is coolant on the front of my motor and on the fan blades. Also coolant is still wet on my under plastic junk in the front. I havent had the chance to get it leak tested yet, but I will assume its leaking...

On the first problem, this car is my DD and I have not experienced any overheating or anything, but since its my DD and I drive it everyday, until I get my new radiator, does the egg trick work on the SC400's? You know, crack an egg in the radiator and it stops leaking... well since the SC400's use the coolant tank to fill the radiator, would it still work?

And the second question... looking for a cheap Aluminum radiator, I have been hearing they are mostly all the same. Search on ebay for supra radiators and you find a lot of them.

I am looking at these following ones. *cant post ebay links so search for the name*

GodSpeed - $240 shipped

Mishimoto - $230 shipped OBO

JVTR Racing - $230 shipped OBO

All are 2 row, same size.

All would require a tranny cooler which I have and an overflow container. I was looking at the JVTR one, but could I really go wrong?

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 05-14-08 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-14-08, 07:23 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The egg trick does work but as a last resort since it will also clog alot of other things like heater core and small water lines.

btw that last one looks just like my haste.
Old 05-14-08, 07:24 AM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about eggs, but heard of that also. I would not put something into the cooling system unless I knew it was okay for the water pump.

You may already know this, but going to throw it out there for general knowledge.
Bar's stop leak (Golden seal powder in the small plastic tube the size of a roll of nickels) will stop small leaks on non-moving parts (sometimes permanently, but not recommended as a permanent fix to a problem like yours). It cost a buck or two at Walmart or most auto parts places and may be worth a try if you are not leaking much. The best thing about it is that it does not harm anything in the coolant system, as a matter of fact, car manufacturers like GM recommend it for certain motors and carry it as a GM part.

For anyone not familiar with Bar's, you can not put it in the overflow tank. It must be added directly into the circulating coolant system and the directions should be followed to the letter.

Good Luck,

Tim
Old 05-14-08, 07:38 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i know mishimoto ones are good. i have a few friends that run them on 240's without problems. quality built too.
Old 05-15-08, 09:15 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have friends with mishimotos in thier civics , they work great. I've never heard of the egg trick , but when my radiator was leaking i used the bars, It worked well for about a week. I'd say give that a shot.
Old 05-15-08, 09:40 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am hesitant to add anything to my cooling system. Make sure you're not leaking from a hose or a loose fitting first. If it's the radiator, just replace it as soon as possible. I would seriously rent a cheap *** car or something to get you through if you had to before putting additives in the cooling system.
Old 05-15-08, 09:51 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

get the mishimoto. they work great and you already have the trans cooler so you dont need to worry about finding a radiator with a trans cooler.

since youre in florida i wouldnt even run my car on coolant. water and water-wetter work great.

as far as additives like BARS in the coolant system; they work effectively. when i bought my car the previous owner did the water pump and after having the car for 5000 miles it started leaking. it wasnt a toyota part. i put bars in the system and drove like that for about a month until i came home from school so i could fix it.

i have not found the additive to effect the cooling system in negative way.
Old 05-15-08, 10:09 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is leaking at the top where the plastic connects with the metal. I just ordered a Koyo Radiator on ebay a few days back that is metal and plastic also. I figured since the oem one lasted 185K, the other one should last at least that, since they claim to be as good as OEM or better. So 16 years and 185K, I think I'll be fine with plastic and metal.
Old 05-15-08, 10:38 AM
thegadget
Driver

I have never heard of the egg trick. But... my dad, back in 86 or so rolled his 1961(or 62-63) unibody ford truck. It did no damage at all, but the bottom radiator hose popped off. While he was tightning it, he punctured the radiator (after he got mad at it and smashed it with the wrench). One of our friends in TN told us to sprinkle some pepper in it. It was awesome. I was only 6, but he just opened the top of our shaker, and pored a little pepper in, and wala, instantly it stopped leaking! It never leaked again, for years..
Old 05-15-08, 10:52 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I can see pepper working if you had a pin hole and put alot in the water
Old 05-15-08, 11:17 AM
thegadget
Driver

It was about a 1/8" puncture.. And it wasn't like it filled up the hole. It stopped as soon as the pepper hit the coolant. I'd say it was less than a "shake" of pepper. It was very strange... Very..

Actually, I found a site that a user claims the pepper has the same effect that stop leak has..
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=6&gl=us
Supposedly, mythbusters did an episode on it, and it worked.

Last edited by thegadget; 05-15-08 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-16-08, 03:43 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the leak - its a couple of holes on the plastic top it looks like. Im going to JBweld those til my new radiator comes in. I guess I will go for the Mishimoto.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-16-08, 11:18 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Koyo Race all aluminum...I got it for 300 shipped new so I said to hell with it and paid the little extra for the piece of mind. Welds are flawless and the unit cools ridiculously well....
Old 05-17-08, 06:20 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
I went with the Koyo Race all aluminum...I got it for 300 shipped new so I said to hell with it and paid the little extra for the piece of mind. Welds are flawless and the unit cools ridiculously well....
can u tell me where u got for 300 shipped please pretty please .. i need to change my rad now
Old 05-17-08, 07:10 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

The Haste is 3 row and was about $300 on ebay

Quick Reply: All Aluminum Radiators - All the same or what? And does the Egg Trick work?