Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Your Opinion on this 1JZ motor Please!

Old 05-01-08, 12:06 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Your Opinion on this 1JZ motor Please!

Hey guys, so jhot finally got this 1JZ motor with the 5 spd R154 in stock. I already put a deposit on it, but i just wanted you guys' opinion before I go through with it.

The engine is out of a 91 soarer (jzz30) with approx 144k kilometers (88k miles). I really wish the motor came out of a newer year of the soarer like a 93 or 94 because this is the first year it came out in the jzz30 and well you know how you shouldnt get things first year they come out due to flaws and whatnot.

So with that being said, am I crazy to want a newer motor with less miles, or am I being somewhat logical....

All input greatly appreciated, but please speak of experience not hearsay.

thanks!!
Old 05-01-08, 12:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 05-01-08, 09:34 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
Hey guys, so jhot finally got this 1JZ motor with the 5 spd R154 in stock. I already put a deposit on it, but i just wanted you guys' opinion before I go through with it.

The engine is out of a 91 soarer (jzz30) with approx 144k kilometers (88k miles). I really wish the motor came out of a newer year of the soarer like a 93 or 94 because this is the first year it came out in the jzz30 and well you know how you shouldnt get things first year they come out due to flaws and whatnot.

So with that being said, am I crazy to want a newer motor with less miles, or am I being somewhat logical....

All input greatly appreciated, but please speak of experience not hearsay.

thanks!!
And you are getting it for how much? *Drum roll!*
Old 05-02-08, 10:45 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine is out of a 91 soarer (jzz30) with approx 144k kilometers (88k miles). I really wish the motor came out of a newer year of the soarer like a 93 or 94 because this is the first year it came out in the jzz30 and well you know how you shouldn't get things first year they come out due to flaws and whatnot.

Well the 1991 wasn't the first year of the 1jz since they were used in the MK3 supras.

And what you wrote about the engine being a 1991 soarer (jzz30) but then you say you want an engine from 93-94 because thats the year they came in the jzz30 doesn't make sense.

The jzz30 was released in Japan 1991 and it did have the 1jz in it.
Old 05-02-08, 10:54 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer

The engine is out of a 91 soarer (jzz30) with approx 144k kilometers (88k miles). I really wish the motor came out of a newer year of the soarer like a 93 or 94 because this is the first year it came out in the jzz30 and well you know how you shouldn't get things first year they come out due to flaws and whatnot.

Well the 1991 wasn't the first year of the 1jz since they were used in the MK3 supras.

And what you wrote about the engine being a 1991 soarer (jzz30) but then you say you want an engine from 93-94 because thats the year they came in the jzz30 doesn't make sense.

The jzz30 was released in Japan 1991 and it did have the 1jz in it.
I was saying it was the first year the 1JZ was in the jzz30. All im saying is Im thinking it may be better to get a 1jz from a later jzz30 than an earlier one.

So what do you guys think? Should I pull the trigger and get it? Im supposed to get some pics today so ill post them up asap.
Old 05-02-08, 01:16 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evileagle
I was saying it was the first year the 1JZ was in the jzz30. All im saying is Im thinking it may be better to get a 1jz from a later jzz30 than an earlier one.

So what do you guys think? Should I pull the trigger and get it? Im supposed to get some pics today so ill post them up asap.

Its all about the price... which is what?
Old 05-02-08, 01:44 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DasBach
Its all about the price... which is what?
1950 plus shipping...

comes with motor, soarer 5spd r154, ecu/wiring, sidemount/piping, and driveshaft.
Old 05-02-08, 01:49 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Id get it.
Old 05-02-08, 02:01 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DJ420a
Id get it.
if you dont get it, let me get the number so i can.

considering r154's by itself are going for 600-800 under that price alone.
Old 05-02-08, 03:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

dude get it, it wasnt the first year they made the motor, and its not like they changed anything on the motor till vvti came out. 88k just means its broken in on a toyota
Old 05-06-08, 02:12 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

ok....little update...

I asked for some pics and here they are...

The issues that i have are #1, the motor comes with a testpipe and aftermarket filter, so its been modded and obviously been raced most likely raised boost...you can also see tape on the ECU wires where it plugs into the ecu which was probably for some sort of air/fuel piggyback....#3, the 89k miles i wish were lower just for ease of mind...#4 theres only a 30 day warentee on the motor, no warentee on the tranny period (which is real silly since they are charging me more for a 5spd)...

Please tell me if im just tripping and being paranoid or wether I should hold off and wait for another motorset. I've just had bad experiences in teh past with buying motors and I dont want to go through with that again...

Enough blabbing here are the pics...

Old 05-06-08, 02:29 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

that looks way better than mine did, and i paid 2200 shipped. and mine was missing the igniter and map sensor. that looks really nice, get the compression numbers before you buy.
Old 05-06-08, 04:19 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shonuff53
that looks way better than mine did, and i paid 2200 shipped. and mine was missing the igniter and map sensor. that looks really nice, get the compression numbers before you buy.
I asked JHOT for Compression #'s and they said that they didnt have them here but a compression and leak down check was done when they pulled the motor.

Pisses me off how a company that big wouldnt have something as simple as a compression check especially when all the do IS SELL MOTORS! You would think a reputable company like JHOT would provide compression and leak down test conclusions to make life easier for them and the buyer, instead of playing the stupid guessing game and pray you get something decent...
Old 05-06-08, 04:20 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Before you take delivery, if you already haven't. I'd suggest cracking the valve covers open and looking for engine sludge. Just for piece of mind, before you go through the headache of installing it and beating the living ish out of it. As well as leak down and compression.

My friend locally went through hell with his JDM 2jz which was full of engine sludge and it was bought from a reputable JDM importer.
Old 05-06-08, 04:56 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

I asked for the compression and Leak down results but like i said, he wouldnt give them to me cause he said he didnt have them....

I think im going to ask them to just do the testing again to verify everything is fine...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your Opinion on this 1JZ motor Please!