Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any experience with Meagan Racing seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 02:43 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any experience with Meagan Racing seats?

Hey guys,

I was looking at seat options the other day and came across Meagans. Any one hear or had any experience with these? The look decent enough and the price is nearly 1/4 of Recaros, Bride, etc. But something I noticed was that none of the sites listed the weight, which is one of my main concerns. Just wanting to know if anyone has used these in any of their cars or heard word of anything. Thanks all.

Jon
Old 04-29-08, 04:51 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i can guarantee you that the megan seats will be about half of the weight of the stock seat. the problem comes in with the comfort of them.

i have a JIC bucket with high thigh bolsters and agressive upper body fitment. honestly the construction is very cheap and i already had to take it apart and fix the weld because they broke. i can complain though because i bought the seat fro $80.

i put a sparco in my car on friday before drift day. my buddy was doing most of the driving in my car while i was staffing. hes a big guy and doesnt fit my JIC. i took a sparco out of his mk3 supra and put it in my car. i drove the car with that seat for the last 3 days and probably a combines 700 miles. the thigh bolsters are low which i dont like but the upper body support is amazing and the seat overall is a lot more comfortable then my JIC.

theme of the story: dont buy cheap seats because for daily driving or long trips you will want to kill yourself for buying them.

do it right and buy a quality seat to begin with. if its cheap its most likely not ergonomically designed to accommodate the driver.

look around on 240sx and supra forums..even honda forums for new and used seats for a good price for a quality brand.
Old 04-29-08, 05:44 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i can guarantee you that the megan seats will be about half of the weight of the stock seat. the problem comes in with the comfort of them.

i have a JIC bucket with high thigh bolsters and agressive upper body fitment. honestly the construction is very cheap and i already had to take it apart and fix the weld because they broke. i can complain though because i bought the seat fro $80.

i put a sparco in my car on friday before drift day. my buddy was doing most of the driving in my car while i was staffing. hes a big guy and doesnt fit my JIC. i took a sparco out of his mk3 supra and put it in my car. i drove the car with that seat for the last 3 days and probably a combines 700 miles. the thigh bolsters are low which i dont like but the upper body support is amazing and the seat overall is a lot more comfortable then my JIC.

theme of the story: dont buy cheap seats because for daily driving or long trips you will want to kill yourself for buying them.

do it right and buy a quality seat to begin with. if its cheap its most likely not ergonomically designed to accommodate the driver.

look around on 240sx and supra forums..even honda forums for new and used seats for a good price for a quality brand.
Lol yeah there is no such thing as cheap aftermarket seats on SF. If they buy race seats, they are top of the line. Other forums maybe, but average Recaro or Bride on SF is upwards of 800+, im on there all the time. I know what you mean by buying cheap seats though, I have had that experience. Hence the reason of me asking others their experience. I was looking at JIC too so I will steer clear of those also, thanks.
Old 04-29-08, 06:08 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Since were on this subject, can someone tell me if the manual seats commonly substituted for our memory/ heated/ power seats. Are they from a reg. Supra or does it have to be a TT. And best years.
Old 04-29-08, 09:07 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

all mk4 supra seats are the same. TT or NA. the only difference between the seats is power or manual.

if you do manual seats then you lose all otions...heat, memory, power.
if you do power then you only lose heat i believe

btw if you look on local forums you can find great deals too. i just found the other day a guy selling a used-but-mint Buddy club bucket seat...asking price 250
Old 04-30-08, 07:19 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be warned Buddy club seats are designed after the Honda Mugen seat. THEY ARE SMALL and by small I mean a snug fit for a 30" waist. Buddy club does make an XL seat which will fit most average sized people.
Old 04-30-08, 04:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
Be warned Buddy club seats are designed after the Honda Mugen seat. THEY ARE SMALL and by small I mean a snug fit for a 30" waist. Buddy club does make an XL seat which will fit most average sized people.
thats what it is XL seat. im a 36 waist and it fits me well
Old 05-28-08, 11:43 AM
JJsc3
Driver

One of my main concerns on the cheap racing seats is whether it can support high horsepower. Imagine hitting full throttle at 350rwhp, what if the seat snaps back? The last thing I want is to get killed by my seats, lol..
Old 05-28-08, 12:19 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

just get some tt seats. they are fairly cheap, comfortable, and drop right in. the only thing is having to solder or crimp wires for the power (if you have power). no more heat or memory though.
Old 05-28-08, 04:41 PM
JJsc3
Driver

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
just get some tt seats. they are fairly cheap, comfortable, and drop right in. the only thing is having to solder or crimp wires for the power (if you have power). no more heat or memory though.
Oh no... my first SC had the TT seats, and let me tell you, they are the worse seats ever. They offer no support; they're uncomfortable; they sit too low (I'm 5"11 too); the tan color did not match the SC's tan interior, and they're worse than my stockers. Even cheap racing seats offer better support. My suggestion, stay away from them.
Old 05-28-08, 05:13 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Im putting a spare pair of Megans in mine now. I think there pretty damn comfortable.

I actually welded an adapter frame together to mate the bottom of the OEM power seats to the Megans. This makes to where I can have atleast the power front to back movement, but Im starting to think of the phrase K.I.S.S. lol
Old 05-29-08, 08:00 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JJsc3
Oh no... my first SC had the TT seats, and let me tell you, they are the worse seats ever. They offer no support; they're uncomfortable; they sit too low (I'm 5"11 too); the tan color did not match the SC's tan interior, and they're worse than my stockers. Even cheap racing seats offer better support. My suggestion, stay away from them.
no support? compared to the stock sc seats? yes, they do sit lower but i don't mind. i'm 5'10 and i can see over the hood and cluster easily. as for color, yes it's different but i'm getting mine dyed to match. jon, i'd suggest you at least sit on the seats you are considering buying. that way you know if you like it or not.
Old 05-29-08, 10:05 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

craaaazzy,

I ended up getting one of those Bride Low Max's, the ones off of Ebay. I am definately not a fan of Ebay and I only bought one to see what it would be like and if I wanted to put one in the passenger also. I have to say, at first, I thought that it was a little tight and might not be that comfortable for DD driving. After a couple of weeks driving with it, I am loving it more and more. It has broken in a little and made my own seat brackets for it. It sits lower and wraps you nice and snug, but not tight. The support is pretty good also. I weighed it and it was 35 pds with the brackets I made. The thread I did awhile ago with SC4 weight has some pictures in it if anyone would like to see it installed. Or if anyone would like some more pictures I would be glad to post them up.

Jon
Old 05-30-08, 01:28 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JJsc3
Really? that is the first time i have heard of anyone NOT liking the supra seats. I'm 6'5" and quite thin but they feel snug, comfy and offer decent headroom True the OEM leather doesn't quite match up with the interior but nothing a full resoration can't fix. Also an extra layer of padding would have felt a little better. What kind did you have, the power seats or the full manual seats?
Old 05-30-08, 04:11 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
craaaazzy,

I ended up getting one of those Bride Low Max's, the ones off of Ebay. I am definately not a fan of Ebay and I only bought one to see what it would be like and if I wanted to put one in the passenger also. I have to say, at first, I thought that it was a little tight and might not be that comfortable for DD driving. After a couple of weeks driving with it, I am loving it more and more. It has broken in a little and made my own seat brackets for it. It sits lower and wraps you nice and snug, but not tight. The support is pretty good also. I weighed it and it was 35 pds with the brackets I made. The thread I did awhile ago with SC4 weight has some pictures in it if anyone would like to see it installed. Or if anyone would like some more pictures I would be glad to post them up.

Jon
so u like it? good. i'm pretty sure the tt seat weight about the same as those. i'm surprised it's not less.

how much did u pay. there are 2 guys in atlanta that are selling them for fairly cheap. i think u can get them for less than $400 each now and no shipping charges. is ur interior black to match? i'd love to see a pic of them in the car.

fred

Quick Reply: Any experience with Meagan Racing seats?