Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission clinking/bucking occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 03:27 PM
bomexlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission clinking/bucking occasionally

I have a 92 5-speed. When the car is not fully warmed up, and I drive it gently to warm it up, I can feel the car buck if I barely have my foot on the gas or take it off completely. When the bucking happens theres a metal clinking/clicking sound that I hear. This sound also happens when i release the clutch to engage the gear, and when I release the gas, and press it again however there is no bucking at higher speeds, only the clinking noise. I'm thinking it might be my engine mounts? If thats possible...

I recently changed my transmission mount, and the green/black bushing for the shifter. There was very little play w/ my shifter after I replaced these parts and the bucking and noises almost disappeared, but after a month or so the "looseness" of the shifter, the clinking sound and bucking came back... My clutch pedal is also kinda squeaky and I think the syncro might be out in 2nd gear because when i try to shift it in there fast it almost feels like something is grinding whereas if i shift slowly its smooth. I'm not sure if these problems are related...

Any ideas what the bucking/clinking noise could be?

Last edited by bomexlex; 04-27-08 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 02:05 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the clicking could be due to tranny fluids not yet warmed up, so its normal unless its constantly doing it all the time, then one or more of the gears' teeth might be worn down and needs replacement. The bucking might be caused by the gears not engaging properly assuming that the driver isnt doing anything that could cause bucking (i.e. clutching out while not giving it enough gas). The engine mounts should be fin for the most part. As for second gear yes it might be the syncros mentioned before, has 2nd gear been a problem for some time, or has it just come up? Mine has always had trouble getting into second and is much harder when i try to speed up my shifts. For the clutch pedal, try lubing up the return spring with a little WD40 and see if that does the trick

just so u know i am a begginer at this stuff, but im reading out of a general tech manual for references so this info should be accurate