Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny tunnel cutout r154 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 11:08 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny tunnel cutout r154 swap

Ok,

So I finally was able to remove the automatic shifter. I look inside and I find this.

It looked like my r154 would not be able to get through that small little hole. I don't remember seeing anything in my research that required a transmission tunnel cut for a 5spd manual swap. I do recall reading something about the 6spd swap, but I did not think it was relevant to 5spd swaps

So I hit the wonderfully underused search feature of these forums and it looks like I will need to cut out parts of the tunnel to make it fit.

This is good and fine, and it appears that the hump towards the front is part of what I need to cut out according to this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...mission+tunnel

Check out scdrifta's post stating exactly what I did.

Mainly my question is can I cut through that thick bar right above this hump? I would like to for clearance insurance. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-08, 11:14 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Guess I was wrong. The auto hole is smaller than the manual. Either buy the $150 manual trans tunnel and re-spot weld it in or open it up a little bit. I wouldn't cut into that thick part as its a support to keep the tunnel rigid.

Last edited by joewitafro; 04-23-08 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 11:17 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know for sure that the openeing will have to be enlarged. I'll try to take a picture of mine for you tonight or tomorrow, so you can see how big my opening is and where in relation to that "hump". You dont want to just go cutting freely, this needs to be kind of precsise. If its too big, you will be unable to mount the rubber boot and other items that go around the shifter. You also need to carefully measure the holes you drill/tap for the new bolts that holds all this stuff down.

Keep in mind I have never done this before, just speaking from what I think needs to happen looking at my car vs. what your picture shows.
Old 04-23-08, 11:42 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joewitafro
WTH? NO!.. you should not have to do this. Which transmission do you have?! Supra R154 or soarer R154? If they used the supra of COURSE its too short. but the soarer should come right up to the correct location.
Whoa whoa, calm down bro.

I have a supra r154 with jz bellhousing and a modified shifter housing (shifter itself is still the same as a supra r154).
I extended it by 2.5 inches. Check this thread here, and look for pics of what a supra r154 looks like when bolted up WITHOUT the extension.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...r154+extension
(check VIPSoarer's post and links on the second page)

Also,check my post in your thread for pics. Since you do, in fact, have a soarer r154 will you be so kind to measure it from bellhousing to the very tip of your shifter in neutral and we can compare lengths.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=349858

Relax, I did more research and found out people who go auto to manual have done this kind of thing.
Old 04-23-08, 11:56 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Yeah Sorry for freaking out a little bit. I hate seeing things done half assed and hacked up so I freaked out a little bit when I heard you were going to cut the whole top off that thing! I researched it a little bit real quick and noticed that the auto holes are smaller than the manuals. if you dont want to tack in a new upper trans tunnel then I suppose cutting it would be "okay".. Though i'd be pissed if I saw that done on a car I bought.

I'll measure that up when I get home. Take a picture of your measurement so I can make sure I measure from the same location.
Old 04-23-08, 12:25 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

WTH? NO!.. you should not have to do this. Which transmission do you have?! Supra R154 or soarer R154? If they used the supra of COURSE its too short. but the soarer should come right up to the correct location.
Old 04-23-08, 12:28 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Yeah Sorry for freaking out a little bit. I hate seeing things done half assed and hacked up so I freaked out a little bit when I heard you were going to cut the whole top off that thing! I researched it a little bit real quick and noticed that the auto holes are smaller than the manuals. if you dont want to tack in a new upper trans tunnel then I suppose cutting it would be "okay".. Though i'd be pissed if I saw that done on a car I bought.

I'll measure that up when I get home. Take a picture of your measurement so I can make sure I measure from the same location.
Measured it, and this is what I got

I took a simple measurement from the edge of the bellhousing to the edge of the base of the shifter. I tried to keep it level and this is what I got.

About 31 inches or so.

Took another measurement to the tip.

about 34 inches.

For reference, the link in my post about the extension shows blk97sc300 measuring his r154. Assuming that he does have a jz bellhousing or the 7m and jz bellhousings being the same length, stock length should be about 26 inches from edge of bellhousing to middle of the shifter hole.

With the swan neck it shows about a 2 inch extension from the shifter hole coming to a total of 27~28 inches. (this measurement is taken at the base of the shifter right above the neck.)

To the tip it seems about 31 inches on his.

So seemingly my assumptions fit. But there ya go
Old 04-23-08, 04:44 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
It looked like my r154 would not be able to get through that small little hole. I don't remember seeing anything in my research that required a transmission tunnel cut for a 5spd manual swap. I do recall reading something about the 6spd swap, but I did not think it was relevant to 5spd swaps

So I hit the wonderfully underused search feature of these forums and it looks like I will need to cut out parts of the tunnel to make it fit.

This is good and fine, and it appears that the hump towards the front is part of what I need to cut out according to this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...mission+tunnel

Check out scdrifta's post stating exactly what I did.

Mainly my question is can I cut through that thick bar right above this hump? I would like to for clearance insurance. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this.

Thanks!
I just completed a 1jz w/ soarer R154 swap into an sc400 not too long ago. You do have to cut a new hole as the auto hole is in wrong location and is too small for the manual shifter. That hump you see rite above the auto hole is where the manual hole needs to be cut. There should be 4 pre tapped holes to accept 10mm bolts around that hump which is to secure the rubber shifter boot. Everything should line up and bolt up like stock. You can use a small piece of metal to cover the auto hole so no road debris enters the car. Don't worry about the piece that goes across the hump, its just sound deadening material and won't compromise the integrity of the tranny tunnel.

I don't quite see it as halfed assing when the tranny tunnel has the provisions to accept a manual tranny and even has pre tapped holes to bolt up the rubber shifter boot. You have to drill the firewall to accept the master cylinder, does that mean to do it correctly is to replace the entire firewall with a manual one?
Old 04-23-08, 07:04 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
I just completed a 1jz w/ soarer R154 swap into an sc400 not too long ago. You do have to cut a new hole as the auto hole is in wrong location and is too small for the manual shifter. That hump you see rite above the auto hole is where the manual hole needs to be cut. There should be 4 pre tapped holes to accept 10mm bolts around that hump which is to secure the rubber shifter boot. Everything should line up and bolt up like stock. You can use a small piece of metal to cover the auto hole so no road debris enters the car. Don't worry about the piece that goes across the hump, its just sound deadening material and won't compromise the integrity of the tranny tunnel.

I don't quite see it as halfed assing when the tranny tunnel has the provisions to accept a manual tranny and even has pre tapped holes to bolt up the rubber shifter boot. You have to drill the firewall to accept the master cylinder, does that mean to do it correctly is to replace the entire firewall with a manual one?
Will do, also I was not going to replace the whole tunnel for that one part. I'm not gonna do a "hack job", but will just follow the diagram.
Old 04-23-08, 07:06 PM
joewitafro
Racer

i never knew it had a pre-existing template for the cutout and drill holes. Any pictures?
Old 04-23-08, 07:52 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Will do mate.
Old 04-23-08, 08:36 PM
joewitafro
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=62
Old 04-23-08, 08:59 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

interesting, did I over do it with a mear 2.5 inch extension? Here I thought that my extension was way too short.
Old 04-23-08, 09:05 PM
joewitafro
Racer

certainly looks like you over did it =). The actual extension is 1" over. But my shifter is an additional 2". so you take your shifter length and subtract it by mine, then add the 1" and thats your length to extend it.
Old 04-23-08, 09:27 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

well looks like I'll have to cut a bigger hole the the template. we'll see how things line up when I put it in.

Quick Reply: Tranny tunnel cutout r154 swap