Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

extending the 1jzgte knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 09:21 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts
Default extending the 1jzgte knock sensor?

I've searched quite a bit about this with some people saying to cut/ and solder in USB cable. What is every one else doing? Whats the *right* way? I plan on pulling the harness out of the motor so we can repair a plug and extend the harness.

I was also curious, someone said that ontop of extending the harness 18-25", you have to extend body plugs? Inside the car or in the engine bay?
Old 04-21-08, 09:52 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that IS the correct way to extend the Knock Sensor. As for the harness I cut half near the ecu plugs and the other half behind the intake manifold to avoid a large clump from the shrink wrap. If I had to do it again I would buy the plug extension from http://www.autosportwiring.com/

Last edited by 2.5tsoarer; 04-21-08 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-21-08, 10:15 AM
joewitafro
Racer

I'm not willing to throw down 200 bucks on a fields harness when me and my bro do all our own wiring for our swaps. I know how to extend the harness.

you said "the IS" the correct way to extend the knock sensor? What? lol.. I've never cut into a usb cable/knock sensor to understand how their properly doing it.
Old 04-21-08, 11:35 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
I'm not willing to throw down 200 bucks on a fields harness when me and my bro do all our own wiring for our swaps. I know how to extend the harness.

you said "the IS" the correct way to extend the knock sensor? What? lol.. I've never cut into a usb cable/knock sensor to understand how their properly doing it.
You only have 2 options .Extend ecu harness or leave it

Last edited by sc250tt; 04-21-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-21-08, 03:54 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

dont need to do this.. just extend body plugs
Old 04-21-08, 07:36 PM
joewitafro
Racer

^^ if you extend the body plugs, wont the ECU sit very high up in the glove box? Will the plugs even reach over to the passenger side?
Old 04-22-08, 07:36 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yelloa3gti
dont need to do this.. just extend body plugs
WOW really man ??? Thinking like this is the reason why we see some people riding with the ecu in their engine bay. DO it right or Don't do it at all.
Old 04-22-08, 08:12 AM
joewitafro
Racer

^^ Thank you. I knew something wasn't right with that. I don't like to modify my body harness for the main reason of going BACK to stock in case of an emergency. I read to use USB 2.0 cable for the knock sensor wires which is cool cause how cheap it is for a roll.
Old 04-22-08, 09:50 AM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
WOW really man ??? Thinking like this is the reason why we see some people riding with the ecu in their engine bay. DO it right or Don't do it at all.

I have done a few 1J swaps, and seen a handful more. Each of them just have extended the body plugs. None of the ECUs are in the engine bay. Mine sits just about in the stock location, maybe an inch higher, along with the other cars i have done and seen.
Old 04-22-08, 10:38 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

I have done a few 1J swaps, and seen a handful more. Each of them just have extended the body plugs. None of the ECUs are in the engine bay. Mine sits just about in the stock location, maybe an inch higher, along with the other cars i have done and seen.
+2 ...but for those who want the ecu in the exact location goodluck with all those wires.You dont need to modify the body harness on the car ,why will you do that? just extend the bodyplugs on the 1j harness.

Last edited by sc250tt; 04-22-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-22-08, 11:41 AM
joewitafro
Racer

So if your saying the ecu sits only "an inch" higher in the glove box.. Why are people extending the harnesses 18"??

Sc250tt, which body plugs are needed to be extended? I wouldn't mind some pictures and such, next week I plan on pulling the harness from the motor to start extending + repairing some plugs.
Old 04-22-08, 12:01 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joewitafro
So if your saying the ecu sits only "an inch" higher in the glove box.. Why are people extending the harnesses 18"??

Sc250tt, which body plugs are needed to be extended? I wouldn't mind some pictures and such, next week I plan on pulling the harness from the motor to start extending + repairing some plugs.
First of all its not even in the glove box. Its on the floor under the dash. You also dont seem to be understanding this process. You extend the body plugs 18-22 inches so the harness can reach the body plugs. You have to rememeber these are japanese motorsets and they are right hand drive. The soarer has the harness and ecu on opposite side. So you have to bring the soarer harness over to the other side ( that its not ment to go on ) and you have to extend the body plugs so they can reach. remember, this is all on the oposite side it is supposed to be on

do a search for my name and there are tons of details on the harness and 1J swap with pics. check it out

you can see my ecu here.( silver box on right below white heater control box thing) its just slightly higher than the stock location and there is no problem getting to it with the dash in the car

Last edited by yelloa3gti; 04-22-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 01:53 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

First of all its not even in the glove box. Its on the floor under the dash. You also dont seem to be understanding this process. You extend the body plugs 18-22 inches so the harness can reach the body plugs. You have to rememeber these are japanese motorsets and they are right hand drive. The soarer has the harness and ecu on opposite side. So you have to bring the soarer harness over to the other side ( that its not ment to go on ) and you have to extend the body plugs so they can reach. remember, this is all on the oposite side it is supposed to be on

do a search for my name and there are tons of details on the harness and 1J swap with pics. check it out

you can see my ecu here.( silver box on right below white heater control box thing) its just slightly higher than the stock location and there is no problem getting to it with the dash in the car
you mean that silver box hanging diagonally about 6-8 inches from the original position is the ECU .

Look everyone has their own way of doing things and some are more **** and pay more attention to details than others. If you are content with where your ecu sits then Im happy for you. Not only an I happier with mine sitting on the floor under the plastic cover but I did my swap in late 2004 when not alot of info was available on the details of this swap. Hell at that time people were claiming you needed 2-3 feet more added to the harness. But like I told him before if I were to do it again I would but the harness extension and have the ecu sit in the REAL oem spot.

Old 04-22-08, 03:05 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
you mean that silver box hanging diagonally about 6-8 inches from the original position is the ECU .

yea thats it. and its deff not in the engine bay. ( thats all that pic was to show) Please explain the difference of the stock location vs alittle higher. It was also very easy to make a couple brackets to hold the ecu still much like the stock setup.

Im not here to get into a pissing contest and argue which is better. All I knew when I did my swap was to extend the body plugs, and since then that is all I have done. I take offence to you saying my work is half ***. If you knew anything about me or my work you would know I always go the extra mile above and beyond to make things as best as possible.

So congrats to you Mr. my ecu is in the stock location. pat yourself on the back

Last edited by yelloa3gti; 04-22-08 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 03:27 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

too many post and too many people arguing, here it is clean and simple how it worked for me, I extended mine 18 inches, however i recommend 20 inches. I only extended the engine harness. cut and lengthen in different locations as stated on this thread to keep from bulging. the closer to the ecu you cut the less wiring, coaxial cable are regular wires with a ground that runs out side of them, they should not contact as far as metal to metal. I cut the outside of the wire first just the ground that wraps around the inner wire and peeled it back a couple of inches and then I cut the inner wire which is 18 gauge I think. at this point throw on your 2 different shrink wraps for the inner and outer wire. next solder on your extension of the inner wire and then shrink wrap. next solder on the ground shielding wire to the outside wire of the coaxial and extend as necessary. next shrink wrap that. obviously this is the procedure for one wire on one side at a time. lots of people do it different some nicer and prettier but this works as long as you have good connections and dont solder the ground (outside wire) to the inside wire. my car runs and drives fine dont look to deep into this its pretty simple. good luck and someone if I have provided misleading info please correct.

Quick Reply: extending the 1jzgte knock sensor?