Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DO I have a soarer 1jz?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 03:29 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts
Default DO I have a soarer 1jz?

Aight aight.. You guys might be a little mad at the *trade* I did today, but here we go. I just traded a bone stock 7mgte for a 1jzgte + 5speed tranny. UNCUT harness, and ecu. Comes with extra fuel rail, injectors, and extra coil on plug setup.

Any ways!!! I want to know what this came out of. The guy who bought it wanted to put it in his supra, but ran out of money and his car has been sitting for two years. It DEFINANTLY has an extended but like stock shifter location and a swan-necked shifter like blizzy's japanese shifter parts.

The ecu reads " 1JZ-GT M/T " and has 4 rows of pins with the part number 89661-22620. grey plugs. The motor has a mid/rear sump. Ill go take pictures for you guys!

All I need now is a lexus huh?!
Old 04-18-08, 04:18 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soarer 1j's have a clutch .The shifter looks like it was modded to fit a sc or 240.
Old 04-18-08, 04:18 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Old 04-18-08, 04:52 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Originally Posted by sc250tt
Soarer 1j's have a clutch .The shifter looks like it was modded to fit a sc or 240.
Please don't talk about nothing you know. That picture is a STOCK early model soarer transmission that I borrowed from blizzy's build thread. Blizzy knows all about this. You can order the parts from Toyota of canada.

I just went outside and took pictures of my own transmission and shifter to PROVE this.

Old 04-18-08, 04:58 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, It's a SOARER 1JZ.....

Look at the oil pan.....it's rear sump

Front sump oil pans are for supras and chasers
Old 04-18-08, 06:05 PM
joewitafro
Racer

^^ MORE BAD INFO!!! Wth where are u guys getting this?!

Mk3 supras (86.5-92) are REAR sump; Mk2 supras (up until 86) are front sump with the 5mge. I know the motor came from a soarer, but I called up my local toyota guru man and he said that the ECU code was not that of the lexus or supra, so Im curious if the ECU is actually from a chaser (SAME plugs) or if its really from a soarer like the motor/transmission.

Not to be rude guys but I am looking for someone who knows their **** with these ecu's and motors. I am tired of people throwing out bull**** posts with no knowledge to back them up, like the one above saying I have a modified cut part that is STRAIGHT from toyota. Oil pump placement is critical, before I even got this motor I looked online to see people saying the soarer was FRONT sump, how rediculous is THAT? I was happy to find they were wrong, but that could of messed me up quite a bit. Now, I know the motor is a rear/mid sump 1jzgte, which could of came out of either a Supra, or a Soarer. Though, Supras are the only one with two rows of pins in the ECU and soarers and chasers have matching plugs, with 4 rows. Yes, my MOTOR came from a soarer. Same with the transmission. Early model soarers have an extended INTERNAL shifter. Later models have the external shifter like the 6 speed get-rags.

This photo from Blizzy shows on the left, a BRAND new toyota extended shifter housing for the early model soarer R154's. On the right is a Mk3 supra shifter housing.

I want to know if any one has an idea with information backing it up about my ECU. Is it from a soarer or chaser? I want to confirm this as soarer 1jzgte ECU's have a more advanced ignition map than the supras/chasers. I would be upset to find out they threw in a chaser ECU into my soarer swap. Get it?

Last edited by joewitafro; 04-18-08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 11:39 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Okay, I confirmed that I have a Soarer motor with a CHASER ecu! BLAH!

So... will the chaser ecu work in the soarer swap?
Old 04-19-08, 12:19 AM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

u will still need to mod the shifter to fit in a sc!
Old 04-19-08, 12:52 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well i can definitely confirm that the ecu plugs are not soarer ones. they might be for a mk3 supra or a chaser. most likely a mk3 supra though.

nice trade. can you find me a deal like that. i actually have a built, 0 mile 7mgte at the shop i would trade
Old 04-19-08, 01:11 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Please don't talk about nothing you know. That picture is a STOCK early model soarer transmission that I borrowed from blizzy's build thread. Blizzy knows all about this. You can order the parts from Toyota of canada.

I just went outside and took pictures of my own transmission and shifter to PROVE this.

Here's my extension. Mine is from a mk3 of course, and in comparison, it looks like my extension angles down. So maybe my shifter will be somewhat sunken in? It looks just about where your shifter position is. Also, I believe that you don't have to extend the shifter like the post above me said, since mine SHOULD fit my sc300. Don't know, haven't installed yet but will confirm soon. Mk3 shifters do have a swan neck and it is some what hard to tell if the early soarer/chase r154 is more angled, but I do believe this is so.

Also you can differentiate between a mk3 and a soarer 1jz by the water pump. If there is a hydro water pump?( I think that is what it is called) Then it is from a mk3. If it has a regular clutch fan type of water pump, then it is from a soarer (possibly chaser? don't know anything about the chaser)

As for your ecu thing?
I have no first hand experience about that, but I'm just throwing this out there. I mean it is meant for that engine, but there can be differences. Does it plug into the harness you have? Ecu plug pinouts the same for both chaser and soarer? Does that harness plug into every plug the engine has?

For my gte swap, I had to splice in the body plugs of the lexus onto the jdm supra harness that I am using. Will you have to do the same?

I would think that you could use it, but if you really can't find out. Safest bet is to get a soarer ecu and harness. ( I know obviously huh.) Sorry I'm not much help, but if nothing else I wish you the best of luck!
Old 04-19-08, 11:01 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

No need to get panties in a bunch i was wrong ,it is a soarer tranny .as for the motor set its a soarer .If you look at the bodyplugs its the same as our cars ,oh my bad you dont have a sc .

Last edited by sc250tt; 04-19-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-19-08, 02:19 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Yeah I have a supra right now, I am going to try and get a lexus soon.. lol..

As far as the motor.. Def. 100% not a supra. It has 4 pin ECU + plugs, supras are 2 rows of pins.

It CANT be a chaser motor because the JZX90 car is front sump. JZX81 1jzgtes are the same as the supra harness except front sump aswell.

So it is definantly a Soarer motor/trans with a chaser ECU (confirmed by the numbers).. But, I have read up and it is said that the JZX90 (chaser) and the JZZ30 (soarer) ECU's are identical and should work without any problems. I even found BOTH ecu pinouts and they are identical.
Old 04-19-08, 02:22 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
well i can definitely confirm that the ecu plugs are not soarer ones. they might be for a mk3 supra or a chaser. most likely a mk3 supra though.
How can you confirm this? Every one says the JZZ30/JZX90 have 4 rows of pins, and the JZX81/JZA70 have 2 rows of pins. My ECU + harness (ecu plugs right in to the harness plugs) has 4 rows of pins and is mid/rear sump.
Old 04-19-08, 06:04 PM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc250tt
No need to get panties in a bunch i was wrong ,it is a soarer tranny .as for the motor set its a soarer .If you look at the bodyplugs its the same as our cars ,oh my bad you dont have a sc .
I may be wrong but doesn't the soarer tranny have the goose neck shifter?? That tranny looks like a MkIII tranny to me!
Old 04-19-08, 06:17 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joewitafro
How can you confirm this? Every one says the JZZ30/JZX90 have 4 rows of pins, and the JZX81/JZA70 have 2 rows of pins. My ECU + harness (ecu plugs right in to the harness plugs) has 4 rows of pins and is mid/rear sump.
that is chaser ecu. I think it will still work since I've seen people use the chaser power FC on soarers.

Quick Reply: DO I have a soarer 1jz?