Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 overheating problems, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 05:00 PM
xLSTONEx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 overheating problems, please help

My 97 sc400 has started to over heat after driving it longer than 5 miles or so. And my heat inside the car also doesn't work, even when I turn it on auto heat the heat will just never come out of any vents and when turned on manual it just blows outside temperature air. Today I found where the leak is in the coolant line but I am still wondering if this small tiny crack could cause all this overheating and for my heat not to work at all. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Below are pictures of where the coolant lines are busted and slowly leaking out.

Old 04-10-08, 09:27 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats going to your heater core...its probably full of air at the moment so what you have to do it properly bleed the coolant system of any air and replace it with coolant. This means you 1, fix the leak and make sure you fixed it properly, then 2, open up the radiator cap (WHILE CAR IS COLD!!!!) and leave it open. Turn the car on and let it run till it warms up. Get some antifreeze (I prefer 70 water /30 coolant) and keep adding the coolant mixture to the radiator so that the water level is all the way to the top. If the level gets too low, air can get in which is what you dont want. Keep topping off the water untill the car's thermostate has fully been opened approximatly three times. You can tell when the thermostat is opened when the fans turn on. During this whole process you should see big bubbles of air coming out of radiator...this is good. Keep going untill you see no more bubbles then you should be good. Your heater will start working and your overheating problem should be resolved. Put the cap back on and your done.

let me know if you need any help

GL!
Old 04-10-08, 09:29 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 04-10-08, 10:53 AM
xLSTONEx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for your help eagle. I took the pipe off and the hole in it is microscopic but I guess it could still cause major problems, I hope nothing else is wrong. And sorry this is in the wrong section, I didn't think general maintenance went with performance but oh well.