Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pre-Detination Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 09:25 AM
W1d0wMaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Detination Questions

I did a previous thread where my car was running lean and could not figure it out. whith a quick diagnosis of my spark plugs I am showing that I am not running lean, but predetinating (dark black soot all over). as far as I know my 2jzgte has a set timing and cannot be changed. Anny suggestions? or any reasons for predetination?
Old 04-03-08, 05:53 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check

http://www.boschautoparts.com/NR/rdo...kPlugFaces.pdf

This is a pretty good guide and looks like pre-ignition (they call auto ignition) has a different symptom for spark plugs. The black soot look whether dry or wet may be something other than pre-ignition, plus it seems like you would hear pinging or run-on if it is auto-igniting.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-08, 05:58 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can help by telling you it's spelled "detonation"

Other than that, I would hop over to SupraForums and see if there's a way to adjust the timing on the GTE motors. (edit: that doesn't involve doing so with engine management)
Old 04-04-08, 10:09 AM
forcefed86
Pole Position

Also who told you black soot is a sign of detonation? If theres no speckles of white on the dark plugs your just running way to rich. Which can also cause poor performance and detonation if it's bad enough. But black soot is just a sign of unburnt fuel.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-08, 11:10 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Like I told you in your other thread WidowMaker, you really need to just take your car to a shop because you really don't know what your doing. No offense.
Here is his other thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=345271

I'm not trying to bash you man, but we can't help if you don't know what to look for, how to say it, and are checking the wrong things in the first place. You tried to get a AFR reading from a narrowband signal, and your still running SC300 Maf.... and like Forcefed said, black soot doesn't mean detonation.

Jon
Old 04-05-08, 09:28 AM
W1d0wMaker
Driver School Candidate

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l.../sparkplug.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...300/lexus2.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...00/engine1.jpg
I know I am pre detonating, because of the way the car runs. It is predetonating because I am running rich. I know. How do I fix my running rich problem. also the car is not running that rich. there is no smoke comming from the exaust and it doesnt smell rich. there is no fuel left in the air after running the car. Anyone want to sell their factory tt MAF? the car is going to a shop soon, but there realy is no reason why this car should not be running perfectly. my wiring and diagnostic skills are exceptional. I know my wireing is correct, and the factory Maf is reading the same voltages as the factory supra maf.yes,2jzlex, black soot doesnt mean its predetonating it means it is running rich. but a sparkplug reading rich without the phisical signs of running rich means predetonation! now guys, I do have a 97 supra producing 970whp. this is not my first time working with forced induction, and programable computers. the air fuel guage I am using previously came out of the supra. and it worked perfectly in there, so it should work fine in the sc as well. but I am not trying to build another monster. I like my sc, I just wanted a little more power. and I was familiar with the 2jz. problem is, I didnt get a 2j. I got an aristo 2j. and that I am not familiar with. it looks the same. but the plugs are different and I had to do a lot of wiring. I am using the factory computer out of my supra. Its the only factory part I have left. I sold most of my other factory part. parts are expensive and I dont want to spend a crap load of money getting it going. I still owe money on some of my supra parts. and I am trying to do this myself. I dont want to take it to a shop. cause then. just like the supra, i dont understand the problem, I just replaced it with thousands of dollars in aftermarket parts. plus, the supra worked fine factory before i replaced anything. which is easy when the car already runs. but I want this car to run as factory. So, No offense taken. I am absorbing what you are giving me like a spounge. as far as the a/f guage, it looks like its an old style nexus wide ban. it doesnt give me a digital number readout though.

Last edited by W1d0wMaker; 04-05-08 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add image and correct spelling
Old 04-10-08, 08:52 AM
W1d0wMaker
Driver School Candidate

Hotter burning NGK spark plugs did the trick! still not running to perfection, but running!
Old 04-10-08, 09:19 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

What's the setup on the 970whp Supra and what's your name on SupraForums?
Old 04-10-08, 09:33 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dunno about no 970 whp.....hes asking really basic questions that a 970whp owner should answer in his sleep =\

On a side note: Take a compressor and check your piping. Chances are there is a leak somewhere which would account for the present conditions.
Old 04-10-08, 11:50 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gunnar
What's the setup on the 970whp Supra and what's your name on SupraForums?

Ditto. I wasn't aware the SC300 MAF put out the same voltage as the SupraTT MAF Especially since the SC300 doesn't have a MAF and it outputs in frequency, not voltage. So with all his exceptional wiring skills; he somehow got a GE ECU from a Supra to control a turbo Aristo motor?
Old 04-10-08, 12:02 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by evileagle
i dunno about no 970 whp.....hes asking really basic questions that a 970whp owner should answer in his sleep =\
Aside from the people that have money to go buy a pre-built car and then embarass themselves with it. There was a guy who bought a proven 9-second Supra and then went to the track and drove it to 12's. You don't have to be car-smart to have something fast when you have enough money to just pay someone to build it for you.
Old 04-10-08, 03:29 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by W1d0wMaker
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l.../sparkplug.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...300/lexus2.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...00/engine1.jpg
I know I am pre detonating, because of the way the car runs. It is predetonating because I am running rich. I know. How do I fix my running rich problem. also the car is not running that rich. there is no smoke comming from the exaust and it doesnt smell rich. there is no fuel left in the air after running the car. Anyone want to sell their factory tt MAF? the car is going to a shop soon, but there realy is no reason why this car should not be running perfectly. my wiring and diagnostic skills are exceptional. I know my wireing is correct, and the factory Maf is reading the same voltages as the factory supra maf.yes,2jzlex, black soot doesnt mean its predetonating it means it is running rich. but a sparkplug reading rich without the phisical signs of running rich means predetonation! now guys, I do have a 97 supra producing 970whp. this is not my first time working with forced induction, and programable computers. the air fuel guage I am using previously came out of the supra. and it worked perfectly in there, so it should work fine in the sc as well. but I am not trying to build another monster. I like my sc, I just wanted a little more power. and I was familiar with the 2jz. problem is, I didnt get a 2j. I got an aristo 2j. and that I am not familiar with. it looks the same. but the plugs are different and I had to do a lot of wiring. I am using the factory computer out of my supra. Its the only factory part I have left. I sold most of my other factory part. parts are expensive and I dont want to spend a crap load of money getting it going. I still owe money on some of my supra parts. and I am trying to do this myself. I dont want to take it to a shop. cause then. just like the supra, i dont understand the problem, I just replaced it with thousands of dollars in aftermarket parts. plus, the supra worked fine factory before i replaced anything. which is easy when the car already runs. but I want this car to run as factory. So, No offense taken. I am absorbing what you are giving me like a spounge. as far as the a/f guage, it looks like its an old style nexus wide ban. it doesnt give me a digital number readout though.
Wow, I don't know much about anything, but I'm convinced this is more than I can say for you. I feel very very car savvy in comparison after reading your post. Sorry, but I'm calling bs
Old 04-10-08, 03:59 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnar
Aside from the people that have money to go buy a pre-built car and then embarass themselves with it. There was a guy who bought a proven 9-second Supra and then went to the track and drove it to 12's. You don't have to be car-smart to have something fast when you have enough money to just pay someone to build it for you.

that happens what....5% of the time max?

I have a warm feeling inside that says hes part of the other 95%....
Old 04-11-08, 10:06 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by evileagle
that happens what....5% of the time max?

I have a warm feeling inside that says hes part of the other 95%....
Oh believe me, I don't think he has a 970whp Supra either.