Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 RPM issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 09:29 AM
josh95sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 RPM issue

Hey I have a 95 sc400 with 94k and it has an issue that occurs randomly and will go back to normal after a while. When I'm driving the rpms will suddenly increase, sometimes dropping a gear, and then go to normal again. I've had my shift solenoids replaced, transmission fluid serviced, vehicle speed sensor replaced and it was working fine for a few months but now it's back. Anyone know where I can start looking? I don't want to throw money away trying to find out what's wrong, thank you.
Old 08-17-19, 07:13 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

It could be something as simple/weird as a sticky throttle body butterfly and/or throttle cable. Those are easy and cheap items to inspect and clean. Has your ECU been serviced? If not, the capacitors are well beyond their shelf life and may be leaking, which can cause all sorts of odd behavior.
The following users liked this post:
josh95sc (08-17-19)
Old 08-17-19, 11:55 AM
josh95sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
It could be something as simple/weird as a sticky throttle body butterfly and/or throttle cable. Those are easy and cheap items to inspect and clean. Has your ECU been serviced? If not, the capacitors are well beyond their shelf life and may be leaking, which can cause all sorts of odd behavior.
Thank you, I don't think it's been serviced yet so that might be why. I'm not really mechanically inclined but would the throttle body butterfly and cable thing be something I could do myself or would I need to get it done at a shop?
Old 08-18-19, 10:07 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

The throttle body/cable is basically a bike cable and shifter, if that helps you visualize it. It's just a mechanical linkage and spring (normally closed) that benefits from the occasional cleaning with throttle body or carb cleaner. You can access the butterfly by removing the plastic intake tube leading up to the throttle body. If you want to access the backside for a more thorough cleaning -- you can get most of it by opening the butterfly by hand and pushing a rag back there -- you'll need to remove it from the intake plenum, which means removing the PITA coolant bypass hoses.
The following users liked this post:
josh95sc (08-19-19)