Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Achieving Moderate Gains

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 01:02 PM
Nova Natty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Achieving Moderate Gains

I found it encouraging when I skimmed the forum and saw there were a few other members who like me, have more modest performance goals in mind.

Most of my cash is being saved to go towards improving the ride quality of my SC. As far as performance, is it possible to achieve 250-300 at the wheels W/O TC'ing or swapping?
Old 03-28-08, 03:52 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nova Natty
I found it encouraging when I skimmed the forum and saw there were a few other members who like me, have more modest performance goals in mind.

Most of my cash is being saved to go towards improving the ride quality of my SC. As far as performance, is it possible to achieve 250-300 at the wheels W/O TC'ing or swapping?
This would be next to impossible to do on any sort of budget, unless you just wanted to use nitrous. I don't think SC's make very much power at the ground in stock form, so getting another 60+whp w/o boost would be difficult and expensive. I think a lot of people who want modest gains go for the basic BPU stuff, but try to get good suspension setups, and things like that, maybe a torque converter if you're using an automatic tranny. A basic swap, using stock twins, or just a bolt on turbo kit on low boost is still gonna be the best bang for your buck IMO. There are lots of guys on here that have done it for reasonable money, and have very reliable cars. Not sure if that's the answer you were looking for, but just my .02
Old 03-28-08, 04:15 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't do much but echo the first reply. Without nitrous or a good chunk of money into the motor I'd be surprised to see a NA 2JZ at 250whp, much less 300whp. However, before I turbocharged my car I had a few things done to it NA and it was a lot of fun to drive for what it was.

Also, if your car is an auto, you're going to rob more power to the wheels than you would through a manual, which will make your goals harder to hit as well.
Old 03-29-08, 12:03 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nova Natty

You can check out my thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=344877 and see if there is anything in there you like. There isn't a whole lot of things you can do on top of that for NA power. I am actually only doing a header and exhaust to keep me happy until my boost is complete. Good luck though!