Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo EXPERTS, please help me order!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 01:44 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo EXPERTS, please help me order!

Im finally starting to order parts for my 92 sc300. My goal is 500-500whp (pump gas only), with a semi-conservative budget. I figure $10K for EVERYTHING is all I want to put into it, if thats possible. Ive spent about $2800 so far. This car wheel be just for fun. I might take it to the track once or twice, but will be mainly for evening and weekend fun.

My car has 187K miles and is a factory 5-speed. I havent done a compression or leak down test on it yet, but I can tell you that it runs PERFECT, was well maintained,... and performs as it supposed to. That might not mean much. Worst case, I figure Ill use a lower mile engine, if I have to.

Either way the engine will be pulled, cleaned up will all new gaskets, and there will be some paiinting, coating, and polishing done, before its put back in.

What I have purchased so far:
-freshened up Mk3 r154
-new 1jz bell housing
-new stock MK3 flywheel
-HPF bronze clutch kit
-Autometer Pro-Comp gauges for boost, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, and fuel pressure
-Walbro 255 fuel pump (installed, to replace failed factory one. Also bypassed the "fuel pump ecu")
-Drewgo na-t manifold, modified for the SC300. (should recieve next week)

I plan on using a AEM EMS for tuning.

So, ....

-Which turbo? ........(Ive been told a t67, ..but which one?)
-Which wastegate?
-Which injectors? ....(750cc maybe? But, which ones do I order?)
-Which headgasket? Brand, and size?
-What size intercooler?
-Will I need to upgrade to twin fuel pumps, larger fuel line, ...maybe a different fuel rail??? I know Ill atleast need a fpr.
Old 03-17-08, 03:40 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by na4now
Im finally starting to order parts for my 92 sc300. My goal is 500-500whp (pump gas only), with a semi-conservative budget. I figure $10K for EVERYTHING is all I want to put into it, if thats possible. Ive spent about $2800 so far. This car wheel be just for fun. I might take it to the track once or twice, but will be mainly for evening and weekend fun.

My car has 187K miles and is a factory 5-speed. I havent done a compression or leak down test on it yet, but I can tell you that it runs PERFECT, was well maintained,... and performs as it supposed to. That might not mean much. Worst case, I figure Ill use a lower mile engine, if I have to.

Either way the engine will be pulled, cleaned up will all new gaskets, and there will be some paiinting, coating, and polishing done, before its put back in.

What I have purchased so far:
-freshened up Mk3 r154
-new 1jz bell housing
-new stock MK3 flywheel
-HPF bronze clutch kit
-Autometer Pro-Comp gauges for boost, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, and fuel pressure
-Walbro 255 fuel pump (installed, to replace failed factory one. Also bypassed the "fuel pump ecu")
-Drewgo na-t manifold, modified for the SC300. (should recieve next week)

I plan on using a AEM EMS for tuning.

So, ....

-Which turbo? ........(Ive been told a t67, ..but which one?)
-Which wastegate?
-Which injectors? ....(750cc maybe? But, which ones do I order?)
-Which headgasket? Brand, and size?
-What size intercooler?
-Will I need to upgrade to twin fuel pumps, larger fuel line, ...maybe a different fuel rail??? I know Ill atleast need a fpr.
PT67R. It will spool very fast, and give you a very wide powerband.
Tial 44mm, or something similar. They're all comparable though.
I'm making the whp in my sig with stock injectors and fuel system (USDM 550's w/resistor box, but if you just wanna upgrade injectors, 750's will be perfect)
A Greddy 3 row is all you need, and what I would suggest. Tried and proven.
If you wanna make big power, you'll need the entire fuel system upgraded. That's what I've got planned next, as I'm pretty much maxed out on the stock stuff at this point. I don't even have AFPR,. I'm still running that stock as well.
Old 03-18-08, 12:24 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TTSC3
I'm making the whp in my sig with stock injectors and fuel system (USDM 550's ...as I'm pretty much maxed out on the stock stuff at this point.
"Maxed out"?, I think you are in fantasy land. I am stunned that you can make 540whp on oem 550 injectors. That is by far (like 100 whp) the highest number anyone has ever posted for those injectors. Many of us are in the a/f danger zone in low 400's.

Last edited by SCoupe; 03-18-08 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-18-08, 08:08 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCoupe
"Maxed out"?, I think you are in fantasy land. I am stunned that you can make 540whp on oem 550 injectors. That is by far (like 100 whp) the highest number anyone has ever posted for those injectors. Many of us are in the a/f danger zone in low 400's.
+1. the most ive seen with 550's is about 490 hp anything more than that is playing with fire.
Old 03-18-08, 08:19 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, Im not going to use 550's. So, thats out of the way.

Does anyone agree with using a PT67R?
Which one is it?: http://www.precisionturbo.net/turboc...tegory_id=3027

And aTial 44mm wastegate??? Anyone else agree?

Any particular 750cc injectors? Or, will any ones work?

Last edited by na4now; 03-18-08 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-18-08, 08:43 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

44mm tial is perfect. For injectors I think a lot of folks are using the RC?
Old 03-18-08, 08:46 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by na4now
Okay, Im not going to use 550's. So, thats out of the way.

Does anyone agree with using a PT67R?
Which one is it?: http://www.precisionturbo.net/turboc...tegory_id=3027

And aTial 44mm wastegate??? Anyone else agree?

Any particular 750cc injectors? Or, will any ones work?
Yes I agree with getting the dual ball beraing Precision Turbo PT67 model. I'm using the PT6776 RE model: p-trim exhaust wheel and S-compressor cover (4inch compressor intake diameter). I recommend you get the .68 a/r exhaust housing to take advantage of good street response and spool.
Old 03-18-08, 09:23 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
Yes I agree with getting the dual ball beraing Precision Turbo PT67 model. I'm using the PT6776 RE model: p-trim exhaust wheel and S-compressor cover (4inch compressor intake diameter). I recommend you get the .68 a/r exhaust housing to take advantage of good street response and spool.
He wont reach his 500-550 whp on pump with the .68
You will need a .9x or larger and good luck trying to fit it under the stock intake manifold. You may as well add a ffim to your budget.
This setup alone may not even yield you your hp goal. Look into meth injection or cams to put you over the limit.
Old 03-18-08, 09:34 AM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

thats just not true for a 2jz/1jz, it can be done on a .68 or larger housing, and you definatly dont need meth to reach 500whp
Old 03-18-08, 01:03 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

I'm in fantasy land? That's the largest number anyones posted? I'm not sure how good the tunes on peoples cars are, but with an AEM, you can do much more with the stock fuel system than people do with piggybacks. Go on Supraforums and you'll see that many people have made about the same as what I've made. There is no way that 550's are maxed out with an AEM at low 400's. Unless you've got some fuel system deficiencies, that's just a fact.
Old 03-18-08, 01:23 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Don't get the .68 housing. Iff you use the .68 housing, you'll get a TQ spike, and drastic drop in your torque curve, due to the back pressure from that tiny A/R. The turbo will run out of breath. Get the .84 or above, because with the AEM, you'll be able to dial in the timing map correctly, and end up with a excellent powerband.
Old 03-18-08, 03:38 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend's TT Supra just put down 485whp on stock fuel pump and the OEM 550's and would've made at least 500 if his EBC solenoid wasn't bleeding off boost.
Old 03-18-08, 04:04 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Thats cool guys. Im going with 750cc ones, anyway.

Can anyone with first hand experience, confirm what size exhaust housing I should go with???? Please.

Also, what headgasket will be best?
Old 03-18-08, 04:22 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say .81 on the exhaust housing.
Old 03-18-08, 04:29 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

And the other stuff? Any opinions?

Quick Reply: Turbo EXPERTS, please help me order!