Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

for turbo sc which way is cheaper & more stable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 06:19 PM
lolololol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for turbo sc which way is cheaper & more stable?

hi, sc guys.

i want to know which way is better(na+turbo or supra engine) i don't need lots of power, just a stable car for daily use.

also is there any difference between 97+ sc300 turbo vs 97- sc300 turbo?

i am also looking for GS400,but since the gas go up, i think i may go SC turbo(better MPG) lol
Old 03-12-08, 06:37 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

the 92-97 (yes, 97) share the same 2JZGE engine while the 98-00 engine has VVTi. The VVTi engine is hard to tune from what i've heard, so seeing this is a new thing for you, go with the earlier 2JZ.

Economically speaking, it can actually go either way. The supra TT engine is already set up for decent drivability, but can be pricey depending on where you look. Turboing the 2JZ that came with the SC is pretty straightfoward and a lot of the setups on this forum are daily driven and proven to work. Some NA-T kits can be pricey, but they are mostly cheaper and less time consuming than a complete engine swap. In the end it really depends on the size of the wallet. In my personal opinion, the NA-T is the best route

This site is great for info on a NA-T for the 2JZGE. www.clubna-t.com
Old 03-12-08, 06:46 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

If your car is already 2jz just get a turbo kit .I can handle boost on the stock internals.
Old 03-12-08, 07:43 PM
VGnomore
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheapest route with no tuning would be the 1jz-gte you can get the swap done(yourself) for less than 2k. If you go NA-t you have to get a good turbo, a good wastegate, manifold(ebay ones are fine just have to reclock the flange on some) bigger injectors, safc , intercooler and tuning can cost well over 2.5k if you dont want cheap unreliable crap.
Old 03-12-08, 09:45 PM
lolololol
Rookie

thanks guys.

i don't know much about cars, i need to someone do it(install turbo or swap) i asked my friend he said should be around 4k(swap+ some necessary parts) if anyone knows any place has better deal in LA ca plz let me know also.

also after i install turbo or swap, what else i need to change? or they will change for me? i only know the brakes anything else i need to change? just wanna make it more reliable and safe. thanks
Old 03-13-08, 07:08 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lolololol
thanks guys.

i don't know much about cars, i need to someone do it(install turbo or swap) i asked my friend he said should be around 4k(swap+ some necessary parts) if anyone knows any place has better deal in LA ca plz let me know also.

also after i install turbo or swap, what else i need to change? or they will change for me? i only know the brakes anything else i need to change? just wanna make it more reliable and safe. thanks

i think your best bet from my experience with cars would be to read before you start to do modifications. Search and look at some of the builds here on the forums then go from there.

And always remember, your breaks and suspension need to handle the horsepower and torque.
Old 03-13-08, 05:46 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StiCk3
the 92-97 (yes, 97) share the same 2JZGE engine while the 98-00 engine has VVTi. The VVTi engine is hard to tune from what i've heard, so seeing this is a new thing for you, go with the earlier 2JZ.
Really the primary issue with using a VVTi for an Na-T project is its weaker internals . Thus making it progressively less desireable as your power goals rise. (Plus they are mostly automatics )
The 92-97s share the same GE engine . However there are important differences worth noting in regards to tuning, that if you are serious, will want to research further. As there are pros and cons to each .
*IE 92-95= OBD1 Wich most prefer over the OBD2. Since the OBD2 is harder to manipulate, and is a constant fight to hold a tune.
Also depending on your locale there can be benifits to using the OBD1 , that i wont get into, in regards to emmissions testing .
However, the 92-94 also= Karmen Vortex to calculate AF , Wich is useable but not as fine tuneable as the later AFMs, thus poorly suited for some of the fuel controllers (IE MAPECU) .
Anyhow, Like i said if you do go the Na-t route there are + and - to both.
As well as choosing a standalone(as i did) solves alot of the above issues, but has its own set of concerns($$)........So pick your poison .

Last edited by CantSeeMe; 03-13-08 at 10:09 PM. Reason: unintented words deleted
Old 03-13-08, 06:30 PM
hateshino
Driver School Candidate

well, if you want cheap DD boost and only plan to run, say... 7-8psi, there is a xspower kit to go NA-T on your existing engine. (single turbo)

at 7-8psi, you can still keep stock fuel pump/injectors and only need a safc tune and you can prob put low 300ish at the wheels.

and if you can install the kit yourself itll be even cheaper at about 1300 for kit + $$ for a safc(maybe 150-200 used?) + $$ for a tune + $$ for IC piping(shouldnt be more than 150$).

but any more than 7-8 psi, you will have to invest more money.

and also keep in mind the issues mentioned above with obd1,obd2, andvvti.
i believe the kit i mentioned works best with non vvti motors and obd1.

or you could always go econo car with a honda and get 30-ish mpg =P jk
hope we helped

Last edited by hateshino; 03-13-08 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 12:28 AM
lolololol
Rookie

Originally Posted by hateshino

and also keep in mind the issues mentioned above with obd1,obd2, andvvti.
i believe the kit i mentioned works best with non vvti motors and obd1.

or you could always go econo car with a honda and get 30-ish mpg =P jk
hope we helped
lol. i guess i will go 1jz or NA-t.also i don't know much about cars,so i need to find someone do it. anyone knows good shop around LA ca?(cheaper also)

also beside the supra brake kit. anything else i need? i am thinking to spend 8-10k around(include car rims 1k bodykit auto-couture 2k) so how fast i can get for the $$$?

about gas, if i can get over 20 mpg then i will be happy. i have NEVER owned honda (never will) actully lexus is my second JDM car.(my first jp car is MR2, and others are euros.)
Old 03-16-08, 04:44 PM
lolololol
Rookie

Originally Posted by nobleblack
Not sure you'd want to go cheap on the engine part of your project. Especially when your planning on doing things like the auto coture kit. The engine is the heart of it. you get what you pay for (most the time). Try these spots for install and tune

RBmotoring
Raceline
thanks for the tips. the reason i choose na-t and 1jz cuz i don't wanna to go over my limit also i don't need too much power(400hp is fine for me)

anyone knows ppl who can install it(turbo kit or 1jz) and won't show turbo look(cuz i got pull over very often even when i drive family sedan)
Old 03-16-08, 05:59 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're on a budget or you're not a fan of swapping motors just go NA-T. Its simple and proven.

The install on my car took about 4 days, but we took our time to make sure everything was good. It was done right in the backyard with a jack and basic tools.

Make sure you set aside cash for a wideband, tuning device and boost gauge and/or boost controller.

If you plan to go above 7 psi make sure you get the 1.3 mm headgasket ($200) .

If you dont want to go that route you can pick up a meth injection kit for a little more than $200. I've read that you can up the boost a little with one.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-08, 07:38 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

I think a 1jz would be the best for now and the future....

But thats just me
Old 03-17-08, 05:43 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about gas, if i can get over 20 mpg then i will be happy.
LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 03-18-08, 12:32 AM
juiSCee
Pole Position

hi, sc guys.

i want to know which way is better(na+turbo or supra engine) i don't need lots of power, just a stable car for daily use.

also is there any difference between 97+ sc300 turbo vs 97- sc300 turbo
i am also looking for GS400,but since the gas go up, i think i may go SC turbo(better MPG) lol
I believe 97- came with a twin turbo 1jz-gte, while 97+ or maybe 98-00 came w/ single turbo vvt-i 1jz-gte.

Im actually looking into going NA-T myself, just because my engine is good condition and has low mileage. if that wasnt the case, most likely I would be swapping. If you want modest power and want to keep a low profile, I think a swapp would be a good idea, but try to keep the engine bay looking as stock as possible. those 1jz can make some good power w/ minor mods. if you do go the swap route, try to get a motorset w/ a tranny, whether its auto or 5spd. stock auto tranny's have been said not to hold high power too good. Good luck.
Old 03-19-08, 03:46 PM
lolololol
Rookie

Originally Posted by nobleblack
well if you do a bodykit you'll be pulled over lol. But you could do 1 of 2 things:

1. get the supra sidemount joints

2. Get a intercooler and pipes coated black

And how do you get pulled over in a family van?

Streetimage does some pretty good work with piping and setups. Along with the other shops I mentioned lol.
yeah, if i buy sc then i will turbo it for sure,the reason i asked how to hide it cuz i got bad luck those days. 3 tickets in a month(speeding, stop sign & parking) and yesterday one of my cars got impounded.(they towed it, and don't know why )

i wanna fast car, but i am tried to pay all the tickets also i can't get any ticket this year if i do i need to ride BUS, so i may buy a GS400 instead sc...

family sedan is 5 series(e39) lol (drove 60/mph in local)

Quick Reply: for turbo sc which way is cheaper & more stable?