Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally! The SC300 will again be turbocharged!!!!

Old 03-10-08, 09:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally! The SC300 will again be turbocharged!!!!

Well, after lots of mental anguish for not being able to get another turbokit for some time, I finally got to order it!

At first I had some financial crap happen, got pinched with school, and full-time work and then I overheated my car and warped the damn head. So it sat from like August until January.... was very sad. Eventually my Nissan blew a freeze plug and it was just too much work to get that repaired; would have required pulling the engine because there wasnt enough room to pull the turbo hardware out of the way to get leverage on the plug.

So I buckled down and repaired the Lexus. Finished it in a day because I had no transportation ready for school which was starting in 2 days lol

So after that little story, here's what I'm going with in stages

Stage 1: Operation: Turbocharge a Daily Driver
I'm sure you can understand what that means. This work will have to be done on a weekend so that it doesn't interfere with school or other transportation needs. Yeah I'm well aware of the potential issues with that, so thats why it will take place on a Friday evening with plans to finish it by that Saturday afternoon at the latest to give time for ironing out bugs and so the car can be taken to get parts of the exhaust finished (unless my parent's neighbor lets me use his various welders in his garage).

What I'm going for is wastegate-spring boost and running on stock fuel with an AFC to hopefully tune out the BOV problem. Anyone had luck with that on a KVF setup or know someone that did? (linky?)

I already have a HPF Bronze clutch in the car and already broken-in. I also have a Walbro GS341 that I never took out of the car. The motor has a 2mm Cometic HG and ARP headstuds, and I've got a LC-1 WB02 just chilling out in the bedroom. You could say its ready to go. Knock XSPower stuff all you want, Mark's kits are awesome and he's the one you talk to if you have trouble and need replacement parts (name me one HKS or Greddy rep you can do that with).

Parts:
98mkiv's XSPower T61 kit
3" IC piping - already a howto with a specific universal kit on ebay
4" FMIC stolen from my 240sx
XSPower 4" DP/MP (I think I'll be the first to use it on the T61 kit)
4" custom catback using SS mandrel bends and a slick 4" muffler
SAFC for tweaking and testing of the datalogging project
NGK BKR7EIX plugs
4runner distributor cap

Stage 2 Operation: WTF??!? WHAT ECU are you running again?

This will most likely happen in the early summer. I've already got a conversion harness for this project. I only lack a few parts. The 2.3 to 3 bar conversion will net me pretty easy tuning for 550cc injectors and so the SAFC should be able to handle that fine. This will also help me test the datalogger project and if everything goes well then should conclude the GTE ECU project. I suspect the GTE ECU swap will make a pretty big impact on the NA-T world

Parts:
GM 3bar map sensor
GM IAT
conversion harness (not finalized yet guys)
Ignition signal inversion
JDM GTE ECU
RX-7 550cc injectors
Boost controller

I'll try to keep pics here and on clubna-t of my progress.
Old 03-10-08, 09:42 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an XSPower T61 too..... and I just got a HPF Bronze clutch. How do you like it so far? I'm putting mine in this weekend
Old 03-10-08, 11:34 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

If you dont drive it right, it can chatter... but it still slips pretty well and is very easy to drive. Pedal pressure wasn't a whole lot higher than my stock clutch
Old 03-11-08, 08:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds awesome bean, good luck! i really hope it works out.
Old 03-11-08, 08:33 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bean,
I'm glad to hear you're getting the SC rolling again. I always look forward to whatever the hell you've got to say. I'm not a dude who can throw piles of money at this stuff and I think it's the same with you.

I'm waiting real anxiously to see what you come up with on the GTE ECU. I've been looking at my new GTE engine sitting in the garage saying WTF. The amount of parts you have to change to the Aristo engine is a bit surprising. I'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything, I just think the engine harness/wiring issue is going to be a nightmare and I can't wait to see the results of whatever you've got up your sleeve.

Good luck with the install.
Old 03-11-08, 08:36 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

XS has a 4" DP/MP??! I didn't know that.
Old 03-11-08, 09:48 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gunnar
XS has a 4" DP/MP??! I didn't know that.
Yup

I get to be the first!!! LAWLS....

slappy96,

When the information is released, the sheer ease of it, if what I've read and derived is correct (i've been extremely thorough), will blow you away.
Old 03-11-08, 10:09 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Yup

I get to be the first!!! LAWLS....

slappy96,

When the information is released, the sheer ease of it, if what I've read and derived is correct (i've been extremely thorough), will blow you away.
I want pics when you get it. I love my 3.75" HKS exhaust but I wouldn't mind running a 4" back to it.
Old 03-12-08, 02:40 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slappy96
Bean,
I'm glad to hear you're getting the SC rolling again. I always look forward to whatever the hell you've got to say. I'm not a dude who can throw piles of money at this stuff and I think it's the same with you.
Perhaps the reason why your car won't be running correctly or be making power in the future. Like a lot of other people including myself in the past. You do get what you pay for.
Old 03-12-08, 04:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you get what you pay for if you're not willing to take any risk.
If you're smart enough, its really a nobrainer to do it yourself.
Plus he's not doing it to be cheap, if i remember correctly he has already tried several piggybacks, and they all suck for our applications.

Just cause someone takes the hard work and dedication to further advance and improve a certain aspect of something doesn't mean that it won't be better than anything you can pay for.

In fact, if what he does works, it will be actually better than anything you can pay for short of a standalone. And people like me who are itching to go turbo will be thanking him for years to come.
Old 03-12-08, 04:17 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you get what you pay for if you're not willing to take any risk.
If you're smart enough, its really a nobrainer to do it yourself.
Plus he's not doing it to be cheap, if i remember correctly he has already tried several piggybacks, and they all suck for our applications.

Just cause someone takes the hard work and dedication to further advance and improve a certain aspect of something doesn't mean that it won't be better than anything you can pay for.

In fact, if what he does works, it will be actually better than anything you can pay for short of a standalone. And people like me who are itching to go turbo will be thanking him for years to come.
I hope you understand that all this is a well traveled path and it's not like he's inventing anything based on his description.
Old 03-13-08, 08:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

your'e probably right, i am going to remain optimistic however
Old 03-13-08, 09:34 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What I'm going for is wastegate-spring boost and running on stock fuel with an AFC to hopefully tune out the BOV problem. Anyone had luck with that on a KVF setup or know someone that did?
On my setup im running blow through. So far I haven't had any issues. I was able to boost 3-4 psi but didn't go further since my boost controller wasn't working.

I spoke to Tryk and he mentioned the main issue with running this setup is the tune can be inconsistent and the car runs rich. He was running 9.5 psi.

If you try draw through first try messing with the Dec air settings. 100mg says he had some luck with them.
Old 03-13-08, 09:50 AM
sc5spd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great ...good luck with that
Old 03-13-08, 09:59 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good luck with the project and keep us posted.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally! The SC300 will again be turbocharged!!!!