Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My new 300 -- suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 09:08 PM
Sciethen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 300 -- suggestions?

Hey guys, I've been reading up on your forums for... well, since around December. Now that I have my car, I was hoping for some advice on what you would do in my situation.

First let me say this: before December I was researching quite a few cars, and had narrowed it down to the following: Nissan Maxima 1997+, Honda S2000 (2001), Acura Legend ('94-95), or a Lexus SC 300. I am an overly particular fellow who demanded 1) reliability, 2) performance, and 3) style. Each car I "interviewed" had these, but I ended up with the Lexus (much to my happiness).

The history on my car is fairly short; it is a '93 SC 300, Black with Tan interior, 5-speed manual transmission with a '96 SC 300 engine. (Nothing special I suppose.) The former owner put a K&N Air Filter in, the manual transmission (it was originally an auto), a Stage-1 clutch, and even added some nice wheels. Upon getting the 300 I put some Yokohama W-rated tires on (ConsumerReports.org rates these extremely high), and have been enjoying it immensely ever since.

I currently have about $750 to spend, so I have been researching various ways to put this into my car. I've considered buying new seats (the current ones are worn to say the least), repairing the terribly annoying squeak (control arm or bushing from the research I've done), or adding power. I hope to achieve all of these over time, but what are your opinions?

If I look into performance modifications (which is why I posted this here), should I start with a computer chip? Should I get an LSD and/or a 6-speed transmission? Change the exhaust system? (Which currently has silly-looking bolt-on Cherry Bombs!!! )

In all honesty I won't be racing the car much, but I wouldn't mind teasing the local highschool kids in the area and their civitangs. (My wife and I call them POIDs... "Pimped Out Import Drivers." Mustangs, Eclipses, Civics,... you know. Even if they're not imports, they can still wear that hat!) My preferences are simple:

Reliability: I don't want turbos or anything that will reduce my engine life much, nor do I want to reduce my gas mileage much. (Yes, I said much; I realize I do have to make some sacrifices!)

Performance: Really I'd like to be able to take off the line a bit quicker. I realize everyone claims this car is a "boat" or simply "slow off the line," but I have faith in my new car. A lot of faith.

Style: I do NOT want loud exhaust. If this means I have to purchase stock exhaust, I'll do that in a heart beat! But I'd prefer something less restrictive. I also do not want to lower my car (at least not much), and I do not care to buy any body kits/spoiler etc.

What do you think? I'll see about posting a few pictures of my new baby soon.

Thanks!
Sci
Old 03-11-08, 07:43 PM
Sciethen
Rookie

Okay let me simplify my request

Lexus SC 300
Stage 1 Clutch
K&N Air Filter
Cherrybomb exhaust ( :/ )

I intend to put around 2-3k into the car, and currently have $750 ready to roll. What should I do?

1. ECU swap
2. Exhaust (must be quiet but unrestrictive or stock)
3. Save for turbos (how much would this effect my gas mileage?)
4. Other (what other options do I have?)

Thanks!
Old 03-11-08, 08:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there is a thread about this. maybe it was like 500 dollars though i cant remember.

lemme help you out. Don't do 1, you might wanna fix 2, number 3 makes no sense because you said in the paragraph above it you didnt want turbos or anything that would reduce engine life, and 4 try searching BFI (its free!)
Old 03-11-08, 10:03 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say spend some, not all, of the money to first fix up the guts (plugs, wires, filters, hoses, brakes, radiators, etc.), all the SC stuff before you add. If you want long life and durability, you cant build anything in this world without a strong foundation.

On the OTHER side of the $750 coin, I'd say tint, a hideaway intake, you can get a nice custom made X-pipe (so it's still dual) for the exhaust for 500, I dunno, there are too many things to think of man.

Throw on some altezzas and a Type-R sticker! Woot!
Old 03-12-08, 07:18 PM
Sciethen
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
there is a thread about this...

...and 4 try searching BFI (its free!)
Not sure if you mean "Search before you ask" or if you mean "Search BFI," either way I am not sure what "BFI" stands for. Also, I've probably spent two solid hours on this particular forum (not to mention other places Google led me to) searching for advice, but I did not think anyone would be as qualified as several of the people I've seen on here.

The car is already solid black with dark tint, and the engine has less than 65k on it. What is a hideaway intake? Why not replace the ECU? Is it realistic to look into buying a quiet but less restrictive exhaust system? I am no mechanic, although I am learning swiftly.
Old 03-13-08, 11:37 AM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

you can get somewhat quiet exhaust, but the sound has to do with how much exhaling your engine is allowed to do, im not saying that the louder it is the better performance you will get, but its going to be hard to find an exhaust that sounds stock yet gives better output, i dont even know where to start on that. I guess you could try running a custom straight pipe but keep it minimal on size, maybe have the muffler tip at around 50-70mm diameter, i dunno. Maybe look up some 'stealth' add-ons.

Oh, and im not sure what he means by BFI, but I have seen it used as Big F***ing Intake, maybe thats it.
Old 03-13-08, 12:23 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BFI = Big F'in Intake. There are many sites with step by step intructions on doing it.

Turbo's - no.

6-speed - no.

Chip - not really anything available like the Bayou or other chips.

For $750 I would lower the car and find some wheels for it.

Coming from someone with a HIGHLY modified car - stick to cosmetic enhancements

Jonny
Old 03-13-08, 12:36 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

with that muhc money, the BFI, and either wheels or coils. or if u want exhaust, like me, get exhaust.

peace out
Old 03-13-08, 01:01 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im assuming the car runs well already... I'd do the suspension and brakes. Then slap a turbo on there followed by an exhaust.
Old 03-13-08, 01:13 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

do maintenance and fix stuff that is broken before doing any performance mods.
for $750 you can get replacement leather for your seats off ebay and still have enough left for control arm bushings. also make sure all the maintenance has been done on your car. i recently replaced my spark plugs on my 92 sc300 and it made a huge difference, the engine feels smoother and more powerful.

check out this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=forget+mods
Old 03-13-08, 06:45 PM
Sciethen
Rookie

Thanks everyone! And now I have some more perspective on the maintenance aspects as well. The car's engine is virtually "new" (with under 65k on it), and all such items replaced. However the control arm IS noisy, and my seats are NOT tip-top. I think I will prioritize like this:

*Wash & Wax exterior - $50 (no equipment yet)
*Clean & Shampoo interior - $5 (I want to do it myself)
*New Exhaust - $???
*New Seats - $???

Anyone suggest that I use S2000 seats for any reason? I really like the ones the SC comes with, but then again I've never driven or even sat in a S2000. Anyone else have input on the exhaust (how do I get a system which is both quiet and less restrictive)?

Originally Posted by Dx3
6-speed - no.
Why not?
Old 03-13-08, 07:51 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

the 6speed is really expensive and your stock transmission can easily hold 350+ hp

along with the maintenance apect take a look under the hood, the spark plug wires have the year on them, the spark plugs are probably the same age as the wires. also under the hood right above the passenger side headlight there should be a sticker with the timing belt service date. these two things will give you a good idea of how the car was maintained.
Old 03-13-08, 08:00 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

I say you fix the control arms first...makes a great difference in driving and handling. Also it is best to do that first before you get rims and tires or even lowering the car...I found out the hard way! If you want to save $$$ on seats just get some seat covers. I found a pair for my SC that were grey and simple from ebay that cost around $80...people cant really tell they are seat covers for some reason..hope that helps