Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

stuck starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 06:49 PM
t66sc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck starter

Well yesterday i went out to the car to go out to dinner, when i started the car i noticed the started was still engaged. I then promtley turned the car off but still the started was out spinning the motor i then went over to the garage and got a pole wacked the started a few times and still no luck so i the got mad and just hit the ignitoon to on and dropped the clutch it freed up the started. SO... what could be the cause of this i assume and hope that it was a freak accident and i dont know if my understandign is correct but since the solenoid stayed in the open position and the gear was still turning if i had a chipped or bent tooth on the flywheel i would be meshing the two together and the two get stuck together and the plunger being pulled out will give me my connection and this is why my motor was turning till no end, or is this a problem that other sc owners have had also in the past or im fubar in a electircal mess. Any comments or any ideas help because i just dont want to rip it all apart because it will be the only thing on my mind.
Old 03-10-08, 06:08 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh wow, try to space out your text a bit. Anyway what year is your car? The ignition switch on older cars tend to go bad. If it does it again, try to shut it off, and lift the key (while in the ign. switch) and try to turn it on.

Or try turning off the heater/blower motor.

Those two might be the reason it's doing it.
Old 03-10-08, 07:39 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wouldnt hurt to have the battery tested, because low voltage can cause a starter solenoid to not disengage.
Old 04-08-13, 05:56 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove & test the Starter relay and also clean the starter terminals but make sure you disconnect the battery first. I also put a starter switch on the relay socket and bypassed the starter wiring. I also removed the Neg terminal from the battery and followed the neg wire about a foot down and found a ground Stud. I cleaned that also and then checked all the ground points with a meter looking for continuity.After all of this it worked and it hasn't happened again. I got a felling the relay hung it up and had a bad ground. These cars are so sensitive to ground. Every once in a while I clean them. I replaced the Neg terminal wire with a Walmart negative cable from the Battery to the Ground stud I mentioned before. It also stopped the Car dying while pressing on the Brake pedal.

Last edited by qmanlexus2; 04-08-13 at 06:01 PM.