Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Will the BL built TT auto trans fit in an SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 01:59 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the BL built TT auto trans fit in an SC?

I'm starting to get things together for my next project and I was thinking of going with a TH400, but I will rarely ever be drag racing. I'm wondering if the Boost Logic built TT auto trans will work in an SC. I used to have one in my 95' Single TT and I loved it. Has anyone heard of someone running this trans in their SC? Thoughts maybe???

Thanks Guys
Old 03-08-08, 02:38 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well the supra and sc share almost identical 2jz blocks. if that trans bolts up to the supra then it will bolt up to the sc. i dont see a problem.
Old 03-08-08, 06:08 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Methodical
I'm starting to get things together for my next project and I was thinking of going with a TH400, but I will rarely ever be drag racing. I'm wondering if the Boost Logic built TT auto trans will work in an SC. I used to have one in my 95' Single TT and I loved it. Has anyone heard of someone running this trans in their SC? Thoughts maybe???

Thanks Guys
I have a TT auto on my SC. It's not built by BL though. You will need all of the TT parts...TT bellhousing, TT flex plate w/bolts, TT torque converter. Your going to have to go with a different drive shaft. The SC400 shaft will do or a one-piece custom.

gadgetSC
Old 03-08-08, 08:25 PM
wusupra
Driver

BL does a tranny for the sc tranny that will hold 600hp no problem.. SW had them in his sc. running a BL67 kit. very daily driveable..
Old 03-08-08, 11:20 PM
trangk
Driver

I have the BL auto in my SC with a 3800 stall and it's a great addition. However I have a GTE swapped SC so it was a direct bolt in except for the driveshaft. If you're a GE then everything GadgetSC said applies ...
Old 03-09-08, 12:37 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Ok, I spoke with someone at Boost Logic a couple of months ago and they said that they didn't know if their BL built trans would fit in an SC. I asked for Kean, but he wasn't available, I guess I'm just wondering if a BL Supra TT auto trans will fit an SC tunnel with no modifications. My goals are either high 9 sec. et's or low 10's if I do decide to run it at the strip.

I originally wanted to have a SUPER BAD SC like Hal or Mario aka (M34LNCH), but I need it to be somewhat of a daily driver that will hit 120-140 mph without high reving with a 3 spd. TH400. I really like to drive fast to downtown Chicago, but, I don't want to waste excess gas with a 3spd TH400. From what I understand, a TH400 3spd. is great for 1/4 mile runs, but, it really sucks for doing speeds over 80-90 mph.

That's why I'm considering a BL auto trans. I had absolutely no problem doing 150mph or over in my old 94' Supra with BL's auto trans because of the overdrive gear. I guess what I'm wondering is, if their tranny wiil fit in an SC300 without any modifications to the SC stock trans tunnel.

Also, what will be needed to install it in an SC300 besides a TT auto differential (With shafts), driveshaft, and wiring harness.Thanks again Guys
Old 03-09-08, 12:50 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wusupra
BL does a tranny for the sc tranny that will hold 600hp no problem.. SW had them in his sc. running a BL67 kit. very daily driveable..

Sorry Guys, I just noticed this post, but, I'm looking to go with the stock
2JZGE block with Carillo rods and CP pistons (Like Hal) and a TT head fully built. I already have CP pistons, HKS DLI, Ferrea valves, BC Ti spings and retainers, Electromotive Tec 3 EMS, partially built fuel system with an Aeromotive external fuel pump, 1,200cc RC injectors, and Titan fuel rail.

I also have a Defi boost, EGT and oil gauge along with a Greddy oil catch can and a Greddy 4 row fmic with piping and a Fluidyne radiator.

What else is needed Guys?

Again, Thanks Guys

I'm sure there's a lot more!!!

Last edited by Methodical; 03-09-08 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-09-08, 10:59 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry Guys, I just noticed this post, but, I'm looking to go with the stock
2JZGE block with Carillo rods and CP pistons (Like Hal) and a TT head fully built. I already have CP pistons, HKS DLI, Ferrea valves, BC Ti spings and retainers, Electromotive Tec 3 EMS, partially built fuel system with an Aeromotive external fuel pump, 1,200cc RC injectors, and Titan fuel rail.

I also have a Defi boost, EGT and oil gauge along with a Greddy oil catch can and a Greddy 4 row fmic with piping and a Fluidyne radiator.

What else is needed Guys?

Again, Thanks Guys

I'm sure there's a lot more!!!
So seems like you're shooting for high horsepower. Toyota auto transmission won't last for very long. You can get a pricey 4L80 (or something like that) which is a modern version of TH400 that is electronically controlled and has 4 gears. That will last. Otherwise the reality is pretty harsh.

Built Toyota transmissions don't last very long and if anything they aren't meant to be daily driven. Run hotter, and shifts harshly. Ask yourself how bad it would be. The answer is bad. Also, Supra TT auto transmission won't work on 2JZ-GE. You will need SC300 or Supra N/A transmission which isn't actually too bad because you can raise the line pressure more than the TT trans. There are plenty of shops around IL that will built it for you just as much as BL. The choices for built Toyota auto transmissions are shrinking because the reliability issues and TH400 or others that work better.

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 03-09-08 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 11:29 PM
97RSPSCTT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trangk
I have the BL auto in my SC with a 3800 stall and it's a great addition. However I have a GTE swapped SC so it was a direct bolt in except for the driveshaft. If you're a GE then everything GadgetSC said applies ...
got the same set up, i just recently got the BL 3800 stall, man what a differance. are you runnin true duals or are you single. the stall jesus it must have taken off a whole sec. in the quarter. how do you like it?
Old 03-10-08, 02:02 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

I had it on my old Supra that I sold to Turbofreak on SF's. I loved it!!!
My supra had built internals, ported head, Cams, Titan fuel w/ 880's, SP73HO and a bunch of other stuff. The BL trans held the power very well.

I'm looking to do basically the same thing again, but I wasn't aware that the BL trans will not mate to the GE block as indicated by DIrEctQL
Old 03-10-08, 02:11 PM
DIrEctQL

I had it on my old Supra that I sold to Turbofreak on SF's. I loved it!!!
My supra had built internals, ported head, Cams, Titan fuel w/ 880's, SP73HO and a bunch of other stuff. The BL trans held the power very well.

I'm looking to do basically the same thing again, but I wasn't aware that the BL trans will not mate to the GE block as indicated by DIrEctQL
It's not the mate part that is the problem. It's the control. N/A transmission is cable driven vs. TT transmission that is electronic.
Old 03-10-08, 04:24 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

I'm guessing that if he mentioned going with a fully built TT head, he would'nt be using the stock ECU. Either the TT ECU or an AEM would control the transmission. I initially used the TT tranny with the NA block and AEM.
I wouldnt bother building or using the NA tranny. The TT tranny is stronger stock or built.

gadgetSC
Old 03-10-08, 05:49 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
I'm guessing that if he mentioned going with a fully built TT head, he would'nt be using the stock ECU. Either the TT ECU or an AEM would control the transmission. I initially used the TT tranny with the NA block and AEM.
I wouldnt bother building or using the NA tranny. The TT tranny is stronger stock or built.

gadgetSC
I thought internals of both are identical so you can build them the same way. The N/A transmission is better because you can raise the line pressure with the cable more.
Old 03-10-08, 06:04 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a TH400 and mine is fine cruising highway

Jonny
Old 03-10-08, 07:33 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
I thought internals of both are identical so you can build them the same way. The N/A transmission is better because you can raise the line pressure with the cable more.
The internals are not the same. The NA tranny has fewer clutch packs for one. Many builders shim the accumulators increasing line pressure.

gadgetSC

Quick Reply: Will the BL built TT auto trans fit in an SC?