Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: single or dual?
single exhaust
26.56%
dual exhaust
73.44%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Single or dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 03:24 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

riced single < riced dual <<<< stock <<<< non-riced after-market dual

My definition of "riced" would be tips that stick out waaaay past the bumper and tilted waaaay up. Plus, I'd also sacrifice 5-10hp (or whatever it really is) to have a dual setup over a single setup. Again, these are just my opinions.

I would prefer something like this:

Old 03-21-08, 01:46 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Khaos
riced single < riced dual <<<< stock <<<< non-riced after-market dual

My definition of "riced" would be tips that stick out waaaay past the bumper and tilted waaaay up. Plus, I'd also sacrifice 5-10hp (or whatever it really is) to have a dual setup over a single setup. Again, these are just my opinions.

I would prefer something like this:
you need a serious redefinition of what it means to be rice

the simplest explanation is this: "Form over function or the lack of function altogether"

tilted exhaust tips, when done correct, are done because that was the direction of the last bend of the exhaust when getting around the differential or rear suspension parts.

What YOUVE just shown IS technically RICE. I think what you've got there looks great, but if you want to start pointing the finger; look at yourself in the mirror. The same justification you use for those mufflers just now is the same as a kid that puts a huge wing on his mom's civic. He thinks it looks good even though it doesnt give him much.

Last edited by Bean; 03-21-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-21-08, 02:17 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
you need a serious redefinition of what it means to be rice

the simplest explanation is this: "Form over function or the lack of function altogether"

tilted exhaust tips, when done correct, are done because that was the direction of the last bend of the exhaust when getting around the differential or rear suspension parts.

What YOUVE just shown IS technically RICE. I think what you've got there looks great, but if you want to start pointing the finger; look at yourself in the mirror. The same justification you use for those mufflers just now is the same as a kid that puts a huge wing on his mom's civic. He thinks it looks good even though it doesnt give him much.
^^^ Well, then technically wouldn't any visual modification to a car be "rice"? That would pretty much include 90% of the members here. eg: rims, body kit, late model taillights, etc. People can add unique styling to their cars without ricing them out. I myself put some 18 inch rims on my car (and probably sacrificed a few horses) for the visual effect. I am also a big fan of my late model steering wheel, although it serves no additional function above the old one rather than looking better.
Old 03-21-08, 03:57 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Then using that logic, how is a single exit exhaust rice? Not only does it sound better, weigh less, and make more power, some people think it looks better.

And yes, that car you posted looks great. Many dual exhaust setups look great, and some single exhausts look tacky. But you can't group every car that has a single exhaust together the same way I couldn't sit here and say that anybody who puts 18's on their car don't care about going fast, even if it does apply to a portion.
Old 03-22-08, 09:38 AM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the way both look but I recently just changed to duals. Well its pretty much a 3" Y straight pipe lol. I had a super dragger off a supra and loved the way it looked but it was hanging too low for me to lower my car. I'm really going to miss my gigantic muffler lol.
Old 03-24-08, 04:52 AM
TheCoupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ekrebs
Ive got the hi power on the way, its the 170 mm canister with a 75mm inlet! what size pipping would you all recomend ???

Thanks
I'd probably go with a 3-3.5...
Old 03-24-08, 05:02 AM
TheCoupe
Driver

I def agree with Gunner... I wouldnt call my single exit a "Ricer" exhaust. Dual looks sweet but I've seen probably a hand full dual exhausts that are worth the money. It really all depends where your going... Max HP or Max style.
Old 03-24-08, 12:42 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

i think i'mma go single, because it's cheaper. and then just get the vertex rear bumper with a single exit.

peace out
Old 03-24-08, 02:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

no exhaust?
Old 04-16-08, 11:27 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

When I actually get my sc300 and start building it I want to do 4" downpipe into a full 4" exhaust with maybe a 5" burns muffler. Not sure if they make a 4" cat but one of them, and a 4" electrical cutout before the cat at the downpipe.

Can't b*tch about that form and function!
Old 04-16-08, 11:47 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joewitafro
When I actually get my sc300 and start building it I want to do 4" downpipe into a full 4" exhaust with maybe a 5" burns muffler. Not sure if they make a 4" cat but one of them, and a 4" electrical cutout before the cat at the downpipe.

Can't b*tch about that form and function!
your car better have at least 1000 crank hp.
Old 04-16-08, 12:04 PM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
your car better have at least 1000 crank hp.
+1 on that one!
Old 04-17-08, 01:11 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

My exhaust setup is:

4" downpipe (with 4" flex section)
4" midpipe
4" Y pipe
Dual 4" tailpipes

no mufflers, no cats, no resonators.

It's loud!!
Old 04-17-08, 04:01 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

why the need for 1000+ crank hp? A guy on SF dyno'd his car twice, once with a 3" down pipe, and another with a 4" downpipe, and at 500rwhp he gained 60 horse and 100rpm in spool. Isn't that reason enough??

We used full 3" exhausts on our 300rwhp cars. Any thing over 500 should have a 4" in my opinion. And I plan on running a 71-72mm maxing out around 750
Old 04-17-08, 09:20 PM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
My exhaust setup is:

4" downpipe (with 4" flex section)
4" midpipe
4" Y pipe
Dual 4" tailpipes

no mufflers, no cats, no resonators.

It's loud!!
Mine is exactly the same as your but 3" lol...

Quick Reply: Single or dual exhaust