Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supra Torsen LSD installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 06:47 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supra Torsen LSD installed

I managed to get a ridiculous price on a low km's Supra 4.08 Torsen LSD so grabbed it. Pulled it apart and it was in great condition so I resealed it and installed it today.

I had read the few threads on here about the installation and it seemed pretty straight forward. The only tool I didn't have was a 12mm hex bit so picked one of those up this morning.

I have a flat driveway with a good set of axle stands and a big jack. I also have a creeper which makes lying on your back quite a bit easier. I have an aftermarket exhaust so had to remove most of it but that was pretty straight forward.

Everything was clean and in good condition which made taking everything apart quite easy. A decent breaker bar made short work of the axle and diff hex bolts.

I removed the heat shield to allow the drive shaft to drop most of the way down as you need to slide the diff backwards as there is a shaft sticking out on the diff flange that slides into the driveshaft centre.

I had read that a couple of people had to change the drive flange when they used a Supra diff however I measured mine and they were identical so I left mine as is.

I wire tied the axles up out of the way and lowered the diff down using my large trolley jack. The stock diff sat very well on the jack and came down with no problems. I put a large sheet of ply on the ground in case it fell off.

The Supra diff has fins on the bottom which stopped it from sitting as nicely but it still wasn't much of a problem to balance it. Lined the driveshaft and flange shaft up and as I jacked the diff up I was able to slot them together and losely bolt them together about half the way up.

With the diff about 80% of the way up I undid the axles and connected them to the diff and finished jacking it up into position. Bolted everything back up and rechecked all the bolts again then filled the diff with some Castrol 80w/90 diff oil.

Took it for a gentle run around the block and it felt pretty much the same. Taking off on a corner you can feel the difference though. Did a couple of full power runs and previously it would light up an inside wheel wheras now it just powers down and goes!

Cornering has tons more grip, it's quite amazing. Hard to notice the difference in acceleration though. The ratio drop wasn't as pronounced as I thought. Will need to look at calibrating the speedo at some point.

Now I need more power as I can't do big smokey burnouts anymore! Haha.

Matt.
Old 02-25-08, 06:52 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dam...i want a lsd period, lol. then coilovers and sideways addict i become, lol. have fun wit ur LSD man, just not too much, cuz tires aren't exactly cheap, lol.

peace out
Old 02-25-08, 07:00 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Well if you want to go drifting with an LSD you are going to need more than stock power.

I tried brake standing/stationary burnouts and the car really struggles to spin both wheels.

Power is my next upgrade though I am a student as well so the next upgrade is going to have to wait a while unfortunately.

I think a 125hp wet NOS kit is the way for me.

Matt.
Old 02-25-08, 07:09 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

uhm standing burnouts are not a problem with stock power....even NA power

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nlCOIxDeBs8

i go to drift days with my sc all summer long....with stock power
Old 02-25-08, 07:13 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Perhaps without an LSD, without 10in rear rims and with a manual gearbox. Certainly not with a stock V8 auto with big tires and an LSD.

Before the LSD I could do massive burnouts, usually single wheel with the other wheel coming on ocassionally but single wheel burnouts are for kids! Anyone can do them.

Matt.
Old 02-25-08, 08:05 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah my stock right now and it's enough to kick my rear end out...

peace out
Old 02-26-08, 03:39 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the rear end man. That 4.08 gearing should be perfect to wake up the V8 a bit. I definitely agree on the increase in cornering grip. Your rear tires will thank you by wearing tread more quickly, but it is worth every penny for having a more grounded car (in my opinion).
Old 02-26-08, 03:46 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Thanks Blizzy.

Definitely need more power though. With the big tires, auto and LSD it struggles to break traction.

I am seriously looking at a 125hp wet NOS setup. That should help :-)

Matt.
Old 02-26-08, 05:08 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

hate to ask, but in what supra does a 4.08 torsen come in? I just never heard of that ratio in a stock rear end and am curious... soon I will be swapping the gs300 rear (3.92) in with a torsen.
Old 02-26-08, 05:30 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Manual NA JZA80.

Matt.
Old 09-11-08, 09:03 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you use when you resealed the diff?
Old 09-11-08, 09:14 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Number 7 red silicon RTV. Oil resistant.