Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lextreme Torque Converter And Turbo SC400

Old 02-24-08, 02:57 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lextreme Torque Converter And Turbo SC400

I recently put in the hi-performance built Lextreme Torque Converter and all I can say is the car changed completely different. Before the Lextreme TC, I could launch my car very quick, in fact, I smoked a new Infinity G35 sedan 306 hp with no sweat. But after I swapped in the TC, the rear starts gripping the street right after I hit the gas. The car responds to the power right away. The test is after I swapped this TC in, I went against the new BMW 335 twin turbo and left the BMW way behind my tail. The BMW got no chance to stay in the same car length from start to finish. My car could go a lot quicker if I didn't lose the traction. I'm running 255/40/18 rear and really looking to go for 275/30/19 very soon. I've been told that a stock SC400 could also spins the rear with just this TC. I think it's the best bang for the buck performance.
Old 02-24-08, 03:12 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the car shift harder or anything? did gas mileage suffer any? it's not that bad of a price, probably just installation might be high.

peace out
Old 02-24-08, 03:48 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

I keep hearing about this mod (torque converter) and it's really something I might want to do eventually, even though I'm usually more into show and looks, I could always use better performance in my SC. Just realized you have a turbo SC400, thought I was going to be blowing away BMW twin turbos with just this mod (no turbo) I'm sure it's a nice improvement even without a turbo.

Last edited by SClean4; 02-24-08 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 07:21 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As if it's any different from other torque converters.
Old 02-24-08, 07:47 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

The car shifts a little bit harder than stock, but it's just like a regular Honda and nothing more. This is the nice thing. It shifts a lot quicker than before. I can really feel the tranny shifting along the whole RPM range and keep going, and not lazy like the stock TC. I used to lose my stock SC400 to a Scion TC due to the lazy shifting. For the gas, I don't really know if it consumes more or less gas than the stock TC. It's because I have a turbo and I can't really tell.

The price isn't too bad. It's just $125 + shipping. I think the Dragon TC costs around $750 while it sometimes turns on the CEL for some cars. From what I've been heard from my friend running this Dragon TC on his NOS SC400, he really loses the high end power due to this Dragon TC, pretty much after 60 mph. I paid a flat $300 for the installation of the TC.

Last edited by stevechumo; 02-24-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 09:06 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol....................................
Old 02-24-08, 09:32 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice. Any numbers yet for your SC4?
Old 02-24-08, 11:54 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Very nice. Any numbers yet for your SC4?
Not yet. We So. Cal has a dyno day in March, but I might skip it and wait till I install the 2 extra injectors in and run it at 12 psi.
Old 02-25-08, 03:03 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stevechumo
The car shifts a little bit harder than stock, but it's just like a regular Honda and nothing more. This is the nice thing. It shifts a lot quicker than before. I can really feel the tranny shifting along the whole RPM range and keep going, and not lazy like the stock TC. I used to lose my stock SC400 to a Scion TC due to the lazy shifting. For the gas, I don't really know if it consumes more or less gas than the stock TC. It's because I have a turbo and I can't really tell.

The price isn't too bad. It's just $125 + shipping. I think the Dragon TC costs around $750 while it sometimes turns on the CEL for some cars. From what I've been heard from my friend running this Dragon TC on his NOS SC400, he really loses the high end power due to this Dragon TC, pretty much after 60 mph. I paid a flat $300 for the installation of the TC.

lose to a scion TC??!?!?! no ways. i used to wipe the floor with my cousin's scion tc with my 05 impala wit just CAI, Granatelli MAF, ECU, and Exhaust. and these 400's make way more power then my old car.

and wow. so the whole thing only cost like lets exaggerate things. maybe liek $600? danbg thats not bad at all.

peace out
Old 02-25-08, 09:58 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by breakb
lose to a scion TC??!?!?! no ways. i used to wipe the floor with my cousin's scion tc with my 05 impala wit just CAI, Granatelli MAF, ECU, and Exhaust. and these 400's make way more power then my old car.

and wow. so the whole thing only cost like lets exaggerate things. maybe liek $600? danbg thats not bad at all.

peace out
You're not the first one to laugh at the Scion thing...I hope the Scion had maybe some mods so I won't be embarrassed. My 95 SC400 really bogs down at low end. I got the heavy foot.

There's no one that can beat the $500-$600 deal on this. This torque converter has life time warranty, too. Honestly, if I were to chose between the headers and this TC, I'd go for the TC. This TC mod really cuts down the accelleration time because it brings the engine power to the wheels quicker.
Old 02-25-08, 10:03 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

hmmm good point about getting the power to the wheels quicker. ah wells. want to put exhaust, rims, and coilovers first. going for looks first this time. =P

and if anything...race those suckas from a roll and it's OVER. lol.

Peace out
Old 03-09-08, 11:25 AM
SCTOMPKINS
Driver School Candidate

I have a 93 sc400 w/ deleted resonators and BFI mod. . . would u suggest the TC, it seems it would help b/c stock they feel kinda sluggish off the line. . any other advice for add ons or tunning before charging it would be greatly appreciated
peace out
Old 03-09-08, 02:32 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCTOMPKINS
I have a 93 sc400 w/ deleted resonators and BFI mod. . . would u suggest the TC, it seems it would help b/c stock they feel kinda sluggish off the line. . any other advice for add ons or tunning before charging it would be greatly appreciated
peace out
It's your choice, but in my opinion, the TC is worthwhile. It makes the car more fun to drive. The power is a lot more responsive and you can feel the car works its power.
Old 03-10-08, 06:37 AM
Knightridr
Pole Position

I think the TC should be your first mod. The TC is pretty much the worse bottle neck on our cars. The factory TC is for luxury so it shifters very slow espically on takeoff. With an aftermarket tc its feels better than installing headers and exhaust. I can't garuntee this 100% cuz I have yet to install mine but doing my research and speaking to others that bout the TC they all wish they got this first.
Old 03-10-08, 06:52 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah iv been thinking about getting one, Now im sold, i will be buying one this week... Iv been looking for a cheep mod to increase acceleration.

Its really hard getting it sideways with the stock TC, and iv heard it is not the strongest thing ether lol

Mine still remains in pieces in the walmart parking lot after a few slides, thing really cant take the punishment, It grenaded itself, and when it went, it took my transmission with it.

to be honest this is the cheapest mod, its hella easy to install this yourself if you have the right tools.

Great write up man, thanks for your insight, always a pleasure hearing what your up too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lextreme Torque Converter And Turbo SC400