Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

banging into gear on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 11:00 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default banging into gear on freeway

OK. so when i drive on the freeway, or hit anywhere above 50mph. when i take my foot off the gas pedal to just cruise it, it feels like it's staying in gear and not going into neutral, because if i'm rolling down a slight decline, instead of gaining any speed. i'm losing speed.

and then when i want to pick up speed again it bangs back into gear and i'm on my way like i pushed it a little to hard or something.and especially if i have cruise control on, then it bangs in and speeds up, and stops when it gets to the speed, and slows down and does it again. this gets very irritating.

do you think if i get my tranny flushed, which is what i'll do in about a week or two, will help the problem?

Peace out
Old 02-15-08, 11:06 AM
snidehocke
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds really irritating...I replaced my tranny mount and that cleared up alot of my problems as well as a ton of other peoples problems. It takes alot of the play out of the drivetrain I think and makes for smoother shifts. As for not shifting properly...the only thing I can think of is rotate your throttle position sensor counter clockwise as far as it'll go.

O.L.T. had a thread called like "tweaking your auto shift points" or something.
Old 02-15-08, 11:27 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

yeah i already turned it all the way counter clockwise. >_< motor mounts and tranny flush...HERE I COME!!! i guess...>_< just...need to wait couple weeks for money. 19, college student, part time job...yeah u get the picture. =/ plus $200 month car payments and $50 gym membership. ugh.

Peace out
Old 02-15-08, 11:48 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

moved ............
Old 02-15-08, 12:30 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

sry. >_< have to remember to put things in the right section. thanks O.L.T. =)

Peace out
Old 02-15-08, 01:53 PM
snidehocke
Driver

well the motor mounts may help but the transmission mount was what I was referring to. it's much cheaper and MUCH MUCH easier to install.
Old 02-15-08, 02:27 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

lol my bad, haha. tranny mount. just gonna add it to the list of things to do. how much do those things usually run?

Peace out
Old 02-15-08, 03:50 PM
snidehocke
Driver

got mine for $40 on ebay new...I think it's retail is like $56 or something
Old 02-15-08, 03:54 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know much about these transmissions yet, but I know on my other car the problem I was having with was that the transmission fluid was a little low. What I did was changed the filter, fluid and the problem went away. My friend said to plug in the obd2 meter (if it has one) and sometimes it will show a error code.
Old 02-15-08, 03:58 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

yeah i just looked on ebay. it's $50. buuttt...cost like $11 to ship. and it might cost even more for me cuz i live in hawaii. =/ so i'm paying 77.07 and he said he's getting it tommorrow anyways, so, fast service, lol. so around the same.

so getting it done on monday. cuz i'm working saturday and sunday. ugh. and i heard it was easy to do, so hoepfully he takes around one hour or less so i can just pay him the 1 hour rate, haha.

Thanks for all the info yo! really hope this works. poor person. so to me...this is big money...at the moment at least, lol. >_<

Peace out
Old 02-15-08, 03:59 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLDriver
I don't know much about these transmissions yet, but I know on my other car the problem I was having with was that the transmission fluid was a little low. What I did was changed the filter, fluid and the problem went away. My friend said to plug in the obd2 meter (if it has one) and sometimes it will show a error code.
yeah was thinking that too. but i check my tranny fluid. was filled and still bright red. so nothing wrong with that. and my car is a 92. >_< and i only have a obd2 sensor, no obd1, ugh. maybe i should sell it, haha. used it on my 05 impala, which i don't drive anymore.

peace out
Old 02-17-08, 12:41 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok so i had my trans mount changed today...still bangs into gear, but not as bad now. my mechanic said it was sagging half an inch. so just changed it out. he said his other fren told him it might be the trans filter, so gonna try do that next week.

ugh and i calculated how many MPG's i getting today...i only get 12.5 mpg...sigh. time for seafoam then oil change and spark plugs. >_< need to save more money, lol.

peace out
Old 02-27-08, 05:59 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok. uh...when i'm driving on the freeway. and when i get past like 45mph, when i take my foot off the gas, it feels like the car is slowing itself down. like the breaks are on, but it's not...

da heck? like if i'm on a downward slope, it won't go faster, it stays at that speed or goes down. so...wha? i read somewhere about a sticking caliper or something? how do i fix this? i have to like buy a totally new one?

Peace out
Old 02-27-08, 07:24 PM
Tainted
Driver School Candidate

If the caliper is hanging up as badly as it seems you will have to get it rebuilt/replaced...And the pads will probably need replacing. The slide may be stuck as well.
Jack your car up off of the ground and spin the wheels by hand, if one is sticking, it's the culprit...
Depending on how long this has been going on, (if say it were a month) that probably isn't it, you would have gone through the pad already, and there would be an awful grinding noise already.
Good luck.
Dan
Old 02-28-08, 02:47 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

been close to a month but i'll try find sometime to jack it up. thanks for the info. will report back when i do.

Peace out

Quick Reply: banging into gear on freeway