Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Noob here and need some basic questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 03:14 PM
newdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here and need some basic questions answered

Hello all. Im looking at getting a sc300 soon and have a couple of questions.
1) How much hp can a stock motor hold safely being boosted?
2) Is it better to get a 5 speed or automatic?
3) What should I look for when buying a used sc300?

I know there simple questions so please dont harass me about them.

I thinks its time for me to upgrade from a honda
Old 02-13-08, 03:30 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. Try using the search feature on the forums in the future and you can find all the answers you need. I'll help ya out a little.
1.Stock motor, at least around 600hp, someone correct me if I'm wrong
2.Depends if you want to drive a manual or auto. The w58 5 speed tranny will hold 400rwhp as long as you don't beat the hell out of it.
3.There are many common things to look for. Cracked air vents, bleeded out speedo/tach needles and climate control display.

This site is very helpful, definitely go here. Includes DIY, common problems, performance modifications that can be done on the SC.
http://intellexual.net/faq.html
Old 02-13-08, 03:42 PM
newdude
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply. Ill start using the search. Is there a way to get it specific? Because I tried it and got a lot of random results.
Old 02-13-08, 05:06 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newdude
1) How much hp can a stock motor hold safely being boosted?
This really depends on the quality of the tuning. The previous mention of 600hp is a bit conservative. There are guys running 9's on stock 2JZ-GE motors with 200k miles, and there are others driving daily with 71mm turbos making over 800whp. For 99% of individuals, it will handle everything you can throw at it. Toyota over-engineered the 2JZ as much and as well as any 3L in history.

2) Is it better to get a 5 speed or automatic?
If you are worried about making big power, this will not matter. The stock 5MT can handle ~375wtq before you start playing with fire. There are a number of guys on this forum tip-toeing that line with their set ups since a trans swap can get expensive.

The stock auto is no more or less sturdy than the stock 5MT transmission. In fact, the torque converter will probably take a dump on you before 375wtq. The trans itself probably has about that 375 in it before you start getting into dangerous territory.

If you intend to run significantly more than 400whp, you will need to swap to an R154 (~600wtq capable) or a V160 (~1000wtq capable and NOT cheap). As far as automatics, Boost Logic sells a rebuilt AT that is about twice as strong as the factory auto trans. The GM TH400 can handle anything and everything you throw at it, but it is not a very street friendly trans with only three gears.

3) What should I look for when buying a used sc300?
If you are worried about boost, make sure you have whomever you are buying the vehicle from do a compression test to ensure than compression is within 5-8% across all cylinders. If not, go to another car.

Obviously, take a look at the cleanliness and overall mechanical condition of the vehicle. One look at the interior and engine bay of the car should lend a good idea as to the care given to the car.

Most guys prefer the 97+ body style to the 92-96 iteration. The 92-96 models are far higher in number and less money as a result. If you had intentions of running a body kit, this would not matter. But, if you wanted the cleanest OEM body, the 97-00 style is well revered.

That being said, the 98-00 3L is a VVT-i motor that is internally much weaker and more difficult to tune than the 92-97 counterpart. Interested in boosting the motor, I would avoid 98-00 models at all cost.
Old 02-13-08, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the 5spd vs Auto, it depends on what you want to apply to the car. Say if you turbo charge the car, I'd rather have a 5spd so you have more control, because sometimes autos can get stuck in a certain gear. Or if you don't mind changing the clutch... and a whole bunch of reasons. It just depends on what you like and what you want.
Old 02-13-08, 05:34 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

fyi my 2 cents ive boosted a few sc's :0

get a 92-94 sc300 its OBD1 easier to tune doesnt self learn stronger internals than newer models. cheapest to find

check compression b4 buying harborfreight.com sells a compression tester for like 12 bucks. its gonna suck though u have to remove the throttle body to test all 6 cylinders. might as well give that guy new spark plugs and split the cost of the labor lol.

look for leaks common are rear main seal where transmision meets block
and the front mani seal right behind the crank pully. power steering rack and pump are notorious

suspension wise check both lower control arm bushings thats a total of 4 bushings 2 per side for cracks and deterioration.

common problems that u will definitly see in a 92-94

crack middle A/C vent

crack upper door panel where the glass dissappears into the door

needles on cluster are burnt out

radio display burnt as well as a/c display

ripped driver seat

ripped shift boot if your lookin at a 5 speed

look to spend $3000.00 for a turbo ready sc300

oh yea most likly your not gonna break 400hp any more than that and your lookin at major work head gasket injectors fuel delivery Engine management
Old 02-13-08, 06:03 PM
newdude
Driver School Candidate

I must say. This community seems a whole lot nicer and more helpful then any of the honda ones.

Last edited by newdude; 02-15-08 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 08:44 AM
newdude
Driver School Candidate

I think ill upgrade the tranny to r154. Now what all is needed to swap that in? Or is it a direct fit?

Also to get this straight, the motor that comes stock in the SC300 is the 2jz-ge? Basically a non turbo supra motor.

Last edited by newdude; 02-15-08 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 05:59 AM
newdude
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know a site that sells low mileage 2jzge's?
Old 02-15-08, 10:32 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think ill upgrade the tranny to r154. Now what all is needed to swap that in? Or is it a direct fit?

Also to get this straight, the motor that comes stock in the SC300 is the 2jz-ge? Basically a non turbo supra motor.
Yes, it is the NA version of the 2jz-gte. Same motor as the Supra NA.

Does anyone know a site that sells low mileage 2jzge's?
You should find that anywhere. People sell ge motors for $300.

Jonny