Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The thick 1uz rods are indeed weak

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 04:09 PM
gunluvS14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Thanks for the support Scott. I don't get why I get a hard time here when I'm trying to further the community as a whole.

Eric
No offense, but from the very beginning, I said your test method is misleading.
Prop. for the effort regardless. I'm not trying to argue and say 1uz rod is stronger than 2uz without any test number of my own, but chance is, the difference between two won't be as bad as the propaganda you are trying to create - saying 1uz rod is "weak"; Which is a relative term.

You can say 2jz rod are stronger than 1uz rod all day long, I have to say yes, because 1uz rods are sinter rod, 2jz rods are forged. But you can't say 1uz rod is weak base from the "demonstration" that you provided.

And folks, please don't think all sinter rod are "weak", GM 4th gen LS1 rod are sintered also (Metal powder), 600rwhp with stock internal isn't uncommon.

As I stated above, anyone who would like to donate a few rods to me, I will be more than happy to do the test for you.
Old 02-02-08, 04:29 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunluvS14
No offense, but from the very beginning, I said your test method is misleading.
Prop. for the effort regardless. I'm not trying to argue and say 1uz rod is stronger than 2uz without any test number of my own, but chance is, the difference between two won't be as bad as the propaganda you are trying to create - saying 1uz rod is "weak"; Which is a relative term.

You can say 2jz rod are stronger than 1uz rod all day long, I have to say yes, because 1uz rods are sinter rod, 2jz rods are forged. But you can't say 1uz rod is weak base from the "demonstration" that you provided.

And folks, please don't think all sinter rod are "weak", GM 4th gen LS1 rod are sintered also (Metal powder), 600rwhp with stock internal isn't uncommon.

As I stated above, anyone who would like to donate a few rods to me, I will be more than happy to do the test for you.
All fluff and "lawyer ball".... Please reference my post above as my position on th subject. If you don't believe me, go TT an SC400 for yourself and turn up the wick. I've always beleived the crucible is in the cradle. Please report back your findings.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 02-02-08, 04:42 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Eric, you know I stand with you on this one as well... "The crucible is in the cradle"...I like that statement...Has meat to it!!

Ryan
Old 02-02-08, 05:47 PM
gunluvS14
Driver School Candidate

All fluff and "lawyer ball"
Eric
Fluff? I'm a Mechanical Engineer, folks pay me to do crap like this.

What is your background credibility other than selling parts?
Old 02-02-08, 05:55 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by gunluvS14
Fluff? I'm a Mechanical Engineer, folks pay me to do crap like this.

What is your background credibility other than selling parts?
Ahhhh, here we go. Come on man, there's no need to take it personally.

Eric
Old 02-02-08, 05:56 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Eric, you know I stand with you on this one as well... "The crucible is in the cradle"...I like that statement...Has meat to it!!

Ryan
That's my new sig on Supraforums.

Eric
Old 02-02-08, 07:26 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i agree with gunluvs14 that the test is flawed from a pure engineering standpoint. i dont agree with personal attacks on salesmen, tuners, or simple enthusiasts. im will be done with my mechanical engineering degree this fall and from my experience in the labs i can say that there real ways to test parts but i would also agree with the fact that a lot of things that happen in the real world cannot be directly predicted 100% of the time by a guy on a computer. some things can be VERY accurately predicted while others are only good estimates.

i have a lot of friends that are professional sales men. there is no reason to attack their line of work. Sales men are probably the second oldest profession lol...right after prostitution.

anyways lets all hug, kiss, and make up. i hate this drama BS. other forums are full of it. thats why im here. let have someo one actually test some rods. gunluvS14 if you want to so tests. i can provide some sr20 and ka24 rods to add to the test. i also have some shot-peened and cryo'd 7M rods i might be willing to donate.

Cowboy....i dont like the method but i still respect you for pursuit of information and helping others. thats what this place is all about. if you want to fight and deal with drama go to Zilvia.

as much as like nissans the only reason im on Zilvia is so i can use the search button and buy parts. otherwise majority of those people think they know everthing....which is not always so.
Old 02-02-08, 08:52 PM
gunluvS14
Driver School Candidate

well, my apology Eric... I'm sincere.

Back on topic, I do like this discussion and I'm fascinated with the 1uz platform. I would really love to do the material test and explore more through the process.

All I need is a simple of the rod section, I don't even need the entire rod. I can gather quite a bit of information from that, and once I find out the material property, I can move onto FEA and do fatigue stimulation. That's a good start I think
Old 02-02-08, 10:17 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FEA is amazing. i love it. let the testing begin
Old 02-03-08, 05:50 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Guys for tunning this thread around. This topic is important with everyone starting to put boost to the 1UZ. We are getting ready to see if my stock 97 bottom end can take 10lbs boost. Either it will take it or i will be in the middle of a 4.7 liter build.
I would love to see some FEA. Perhaps a good tensil stregth test would be enough. I love pulling steel in two.
Old 02-03-08, 07:17 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what type of gauge he has to measure how much torque he used on each rod.

If he is twisting the rod by "FEEL" then the test is totally invalid. This is the same as trying to torque down your head studs with a standard wrench instead of a torque wrench. I have never seen a rod operate side way.

Fear + Deception = Sales
Old 02-03-08, 07:26 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like some sort of open end torque wrench he is using. If it were a beam type that might make sense. It apears to be a break type, I guess you could set it for a pre determined amount and pull all rods the same torque?
Old 02-03-08, 07:44 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thick 92-97, as seen in the pics.

Eric
1992 to 1997 are different rods.

Last edited by Lextreme; 02-03-08 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-03-08, 10:07 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Doesn't really matter, weak is weak You have all the rods at your place don't you Dave? Why not do some thrid party testing of your own and let us know the outcome? It'd be a great service to the community.

Eric
Old 02-03-08, 10:18 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Lextreme
If he is twisting the rod by "FEEL" then the test is totally invalid. This is the same as trying to torque down your head studs with a standard wrench instead of a torque wrench. I have never seen a rod operate side way.

Fear + Deception = Sales
Sorry if this test hurts anyones feelings, but it certainly clears up any misconceptions about the thick 1uz rods. Like I said folks reading this don't have to believe the test; I really don't care if they do or not and frankly I wish the best of luck to those who don't.

Also the accusation of deception is very hurtful. It's not apprecated, not accurate, and you know that. I'd appreciate it if you'd remove it from the forum.

Eric

Quick Reply: The thick 1uz rods are indeed weak