Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 02:36 AM
EpixINC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

okay i bought a steal of a car today. It is a 1992 SC400 the owner had claimed that the FUEL PUMP RELAY went out. well i am a mechanic and did my research.... found no Fuel pump relay in the Haynes manual, only an EFI Relay...so i ran all my tests and was getting no power to the fuel pump with key on.... so i hotwired the pump to a wire that was only hot when the car was on. now it runs! it sounds a little funny, but nothing serious as far as i can tell. i dont really have a comparison as i dont know what the V8 engines usually sound like..... well took it for a drive, and get a horrible vibration and shaking from the front left wheel.... figured it may be a bad ball joint or bad struts... not really sure yet... the PO put wheel locks on the car and i gotta figure out a way to get them removed..... but back to the situation at hand.... anyone know what would cause the fuel pump to not get power? there are a few other minor issues... the Air Bag light stays on at all times, the O/D off light flashes when the vehicle gets above 20 mph, the tach and speedo do not work at all.... the needles on the gauge cluster dont light up... dont know if the POWER/ECT switch works... noticed no difference in the performance when the button is pressed. also, when driving, if u floor it, the car does not automatically down shift to increase power, it stays in the same gear that it was in... cant get it to down shift.... feels like its always in third or fourth... unless of course i switch it manually with the shift lever... then there is plenty of power.... if there is anyone on OAHU who knows a lot about these cars, and would be willing to give me their expert opinion, i can bring the car to you and pay you for your time and advice. Or if u want to swap emails with some advice or ideas, please dont hesitate to send me one. thanks again everyone!Oh DID I MENTION WHAT I PAID FOR THE CAR? 300dollars.... YES THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! think i got my money's worth?
Old 02-01-08, 02:40 AM
EpixINC
Driver

Oh yeah a few other things, One: the radio doesnt work... when the fuse is plugged in, it pops it almost instantly.... so i never got it to turn on... two, the HVAC controls are funny... the little screen that shows whats going on seems to be destroyed... it only shows like half of the top half of the screen, so i dont know whats going on with that... short of replacing the whole unit, i dont know how to fix that... ANY IDEAS ON THE RADIO?? would really like to get that part working... nothing like driving down the road with NO SOUNDS!!!
Old 02-01-08, 07:25 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

$300 for an SC is an awsome deal. Welcome to Club Lexus!
As for the heater control screen being like that.... that's a very common problem for SC's because the led lights tend to burn out. When I got my car it was perfectly fine but as of a few months the light stopped working on one side, it hasn't blacked out yet and I hope to get it fixed before it does that. Lextreme can fix that for you, it owned by one of our members on here.
Old 02-01-08, 07:36 AM
EpixINC
Driver

so is there a thread somewhere that talks about doing it yourself... i just got the car yesterday afternoon, so havent had a chance to really tear into her..... i am certainly capable of doing the disassembly of the HVAC control unit and resoldering the LEDs if thats all it takes.... but a DIY walkthrough would be nice to have just in case... I would also love to find an FSM online that i can use... wiring diagrams, body, suspension, mechanical the works. any ideas?
Old 02-01-08, 07:52 AM
EpixINC
Driver

found it BADASS
http://lextreme.com/tutorial/sc_inst...guide_v2_B.pdf
might just have him do it for me though cuz that does not look fun...
Old 02-01-08, 08:59 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good buy!!! 300.. woow
Old 02-01-08, 09:06 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should talked him down to $150

About the fuel pump relay... you can bypass it or get a used one.

I went to Waikiki and love it.
Old 02-01-08, 09:11 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Awsome deal man! seems there are a few electrical problems, but search here and you'll probably find everything you need. G/L and let us know
Old 02-01-08, 11:10 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may have the cheapest buy on the whole CL forum.... have fun.. oh for the record I will buy it from you for $450....lol
Old 02-01-08, 03:02 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

wow..i $300? i think you overpaid for that!!

JK! hahahah..wow..what a heck of a deal. welcome!
Old 02-01-08, 11:34 PM
EpixINC
Driver

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
I think you may have the cheapest buy on the whole CL forum.... have fun.. oh for the record I will buy it from you for $450....lol

add another zero and u got a deal.... no im gonna put some money into this and make it BADASS!! i just bought some nice rims for it for 350 and i got a VERTEX(sp) body kit coming to me for a grand..... is that a good price for one? i seen em on EBAY for like 600 so i think it might be better if i wait and ****** it off ebay... okay back to the ELECTRICAL issues.... i checked out the radio, completely removed it and put the fuse in.. still popped it... so the short is NOT in the radio itself.. i need to find a wiring diagram for the radio area and the fuse it plugs into.... that way i can trace the wiring and find out where the short is... anyone got a wiring diagram? i might just put an aftermarket in it... if i knew which wires were which.... anyone know? if i do that, then the Nakamichi head unit and 8 disc changer are up for sale....
Old 02-01-08, 11:37 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

I wanna see pics of the car..
Old 02-01-08, 11:55 PM
rwdpwr
Rookie

sorry to question you but are you really a mechanic?
i am no mechanic and feel some of the questions you asked about the car were just basic. first of all you should know if the car is in third or fourth.
anyways to help answer some of your questions, there is a fuel pump ecu in the side of the driver side rear seat. It is probably bad you must rewire it theres a thread so search. Airbag light was on in my car after my swap, i just took the bulb out. ect pwr on raises the shift ponit at a lower percentage of throttle. Now with your trans issue, theres a cable next to the throttle cable of your car that is connected to the tranny. i am no mechanic but something tells me that might be your problem.check it out. hope this helps.
PIX or BAN!!
Old 02-02-08, 12:01 AM
Belement
Driver

Ya that is a new record.....tavarish bought his SC for $400. BTW congrats on the SC... the radio fuse popping could be constant or remote turn on wire pinched on something metal grounding it out... pull the radio and check also with the other problems ur having there could be alot of wiring done by a blind kid. Welcome to the club
Old 02-02-08, 12:13 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, please search https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php. Secondly, I hope some of what I am writing helps as I am just sitting here doing nothing right now.

Originally Posted by EpixINC
...FUEL PUMP RELAY went out...... horrible vibration and shaking from the front left wheel.... figured it may be a bad ball joint or bad struts... not really sure yet... the PO put wheel locks on the car and i gotta figure out a way to get them removed.....anyone know what would cause the fuel pump to not get power? ... the Air Bag light stays on at all times, the O/D off light flashes when the vehicle gets above 20 mph, the tach and speedo do not work at all.... the needles on the gauge cluster dont light up... dont know if the POWER/ECT switch works... noticed no difference in the performance when the button is pressed. also, when driving, if u floor it, the car does not automatically down shift to increase power, it stays in the same gear that it was in... cant get it to down shift.... feels like its always in third or fourth... Oh DID I MENTION WHAT I PAID FOR THE CAR? 300dollars.... YES THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! think i got my money's worth?
Fuel pump- is a common problem in our cars, you can buy a new one from the dealer or if one of our fellow members, Aliga, has one in stock just pm him.
Ball joints- Almost everyone's has gone out or is going out on our cars, with the 3600lbs our cars are, we are no light by any means.
Wheel locks- Take your car to a tire shop and have them impact them off since you are getting new rims you wont have to worry too much about munching them up.
Airbag- Are you sure there is an airbag in there, could just be the cover? If it bothers you that much, put some electrical tape over the bulb in the dash
Needles- As with the HVAC unit, our needles go out pretty quickly and can be replaced through ... (i forgot who did the custom lighting for many CL members, someone point this fellow in the right direction)
Pwr/Ect not working?- Silinoids going out? Not too sure, have not encountered this problem yet myself.
$300- Not bad at all!

One: the radio doesnt work... when the fuse is plugged in, it pops it almost instantly.... so i never got it to turn on... two, the HVAC controls are funny... the little screen that shows whats going on seems to be destroyed... it only shows like half of the top half of the screen, so i dont know whats going on with that... short of replacing the whole unit, i dont know how to fix that... ANY IDEAS ON THE RADIO?? would really like to get that part working... nothing like driving down the road with NO SOUNDS!!!
Radio- Must be a short in the system somewhere. Have fun tracking it! Get a double din nav/dvd headunit.
HVAC- Our screens bleed after some age. If you take a hair dryer or heat source to it, it will look normal for a little bit.
No sounds- Put an "interfooler" on your car and while driving around yell "whoosh!" as your car shifts. People will think you have a turbo (Someone please remember that so I don't sound too stupid)

i just bought some nice rims for it for 350 and i got a VERTEX(sp) body kit coming to me for a grand..... is that a good price for one? i seen em on EBAY for like 600 so i think it might be better if i wait and ****** it off ebay... okay back to the ELECTRICAL issues.... i checked out the radio, completely removed it and put the fuse in.. still popped it... so the short is NOT in the radio itself.. i need to find a wiring diagram for the radio area and the fuse it plugs into.... that way i can trace the wiring and find out where the short is... anyone got a wiring diagram? i might just put an aftermarket in it... if i knew which wires were which.... anyone know? if i do that, then the Nakamichi head unit and 8 disc changer are up for sale....
Before you do any body/aesthetics to it, make it run properly. The "vertex style" kit is what you bought most likely, it's a cheap knockoff. Usually a fair amount of prep work is going to have to be done to get it paint worthy. http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php?id=25 go there, great site that many use. I have a full electronic manual from ObsidianCorp Manuals that has all electronic/mechanical components that I bought for $10-15 (don't remember)

And lastly.... YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY! Have fun.

Quick Reply: New Owner