Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Water Pump Holes 10 or 11?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 07:53 AM
turbohye
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Holes 10 or 11?

Hey guys, got a 93 Sc300 5spd, all stock. This winter i noticed a small leak on my water pump and so i am looking to replacing it. Parts america . com is showing different models of water pumps with different fastening holes. I dont want to take the pump off then have to order and wait for shipping so i was wondering if any of you guys noticed this too? how many "fastening bolts" should i have? some have 10 and some have 11 for the sc300. Does it matter if i get the giant weep hole too? thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-08, 08:44 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Just did my water pump today. I'm not sure of the amount of bolts at the top of my head, but I remember it did have an extra nipple that the old one didn't have. I'm going to Toyota to make sure the pump is correct. Called Lexus a couple of times, and the part is the correct one for sure. I got the pump from Lexus btw.

Many times auto makers update their water pumps and some other parts, so this sounds normal to me. I just blocked off the unnecessary nipple.
Old 01-21-08, 12:00 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've noticed this too.. hmm I just bought a pump for my 1j, but I bought the mk4 turbo pump. the hamsters in my head are starting to spin that old wheel again..
Old 01-21-08, 05:23 PM
Kruso
Driver

I ran into a similar issue for when replacing my friend's SC water pump. I actually removed it and took it to O'Reilly and the guy tried selling me the wrong one. Here's the kicker, he brought out another one that was logged under a different brand name but same part number and it worked. I had taken the waterpump rear housing aswell to match it up and thats how I cought it. If you end up with the wrong one, you will not be able to use it.

Kruso
Old 01-22-08, 09:53 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Call the dealer and they have one part number for the car.

I need to do this as well, so if someone finds out that would be great.

Everyone here will tell you to buy the OEM one, but you know how that goes.

I wish the chain stores would get their crap together and have the right parts. There's always something when I call and they ask for some certain spec that no one knows until the part is off. I just can't take my water pump off and check....its not that easy.
Old 01-23-08, 02:12 PM
turbohye
Driver

Originally Posted by cmiller80
Call the dealer and they have one part number for the car.

I need to do this as well, so if someone finds out that would be great.

Everyone here will tell you to buy the OEM one, but you know how that goes.

I wish the chain stores would get their crap together and have the right parts. There's always something when I call and they ask for some certain spec that no one knows until the part is off. I just can't take my water pump off and check....its not that easy.
well said miller....

C'mon guys, we know theres plenty of you out there that have done your water pump. What are the stipulations to the part ordering process. Do we really have to take our pump off and bring it to the store. this is going to break my *****.
Old 01-23-08, 02:53 PM
Kruso
Driver

Originally Posted by turbohye
well said miller....

C'mon guys, we know theres plenty of you out there that have done your water pump. What are the stipulations to the part ordering process. Do we really have to take our pump off and bring it to the store. this is going to break my *****.
Not to sound like a ***** but how are you having to do any extra work by bringing your old pump? Infact as a good general rule of thumb you should always compare the parts before leaving the auto parts place, whether it be from the dealer or Autozone. I have been given wrong parts by the dealer plenty of times.

Kruso
Old 01-23-08, 02:58 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

before i did my water pump i went to autozone to check the price and availability. i bought a toyota one at cost so still got a good deal

at autozone the guy asked me if i had a 10 or 11 bolt pump and i looked at him like an idiot. ive done a few water pumps on GS's, IS's, and an SC prior but i always used genuine parts. he said that he didnt know what the difference was but the part numbers were different and one was for the pre-97 cars, i think. and the other one for the post-97 ones. dont quote me on the year. this was over a year ago. it was either 96 or 97 though.

just get a toyota pump
Old 01-23-08, 03:00 PM
turbohye
Driver

Originally Posted by Kruso
Not to sound like a ***** but how are you having to do any extra work by bringing your old pump? Infact as a good general rule of thumb you should always compare the parts before leaving the auto parts place, whether it be from the dealer or Autozone. I have been given wrong parts by the dealer plenty of times.

Kruso
No, you dont sound like a *****. Its already an inconvenience having the SC down (im sure you would agree) but finding time to work on your car, and finding time to go to the parts store take time. I would much rather order a part, get it shipped to my office, then go home and install it, as opposed to taking the water pump off and going to the parts store just to compare it. You have to understand something. This is a dealer part, as i have already checked with the local shops (ie. auto zone, advance, oreillys) here in the area and they all say the part has to be shipped. This motor is a magnificent peice of work but i must say, when i went to the parts store for a Grand National water pump or something rather, i left with a part that was made for that car. Same with my old 91 talon i use to drag race. Fully 11 second car with the 4g63 broke very often i must say but still there was only one part number for one part. The lexus is great but this water pump and the 10 and 11 holes make it aggrivating. You have a right to word your opinion, but in my situation, its hard getting to the parts store when all i have are my saturdays free. then its wife time and kids time and sometimes i get my time. I know there are alot of younger lexus owners but some of us are older and have busy f'in lives.
nuff said.
Old 01-23-08, 03:02 PM
turbohye
Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
before i did my water pump i went to autozone to check the price and availability. i bought a toyota one at cost so still got a good deal

at autozone the guy asked me if i had a 10 or 11 bolt pump and i looked at him like an idiot. ive done a few water pumps on GS's, IS's, and an SC prior but i always used genuine parts. he said that he didnt know what the difference was but the part numbers were different and one was for the pre-97 cars, i think. and the other one for the post-97 ones. dont quote me on the year. this was over a year ago. it was either 96 or 97 though.

just get a toyota pump
Hey budd,
so your sayin i should just go to the parts store and order a toyota pump? like for a supra and dont mention the sc300? i could see how that might work but im curious. correct me if im missing something.
Old 01-23-08, 05:40 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbohye
Hey budd,
so your sayin i should just go to the parts store and order a toyota pump? like for a supra and dont mention the sc300? i could see how that might work but im curious. correct me if im missing something.
It's going to be the same if you order it from Toyota or Lexus, although Toyota might be cheaper. I don't know if you read my original post, but they stop manufacturing a pump, and update it. They have updated that waterpump quite a few times. If there are any additional parts needed to the updated part, it will tell them in the system. However, there is nothing said about the waterpump (you have to block off the extra nipple).

Whenever Lexus or Toyota try to put in the original part number, it automatically changes the part number to the updated design, as the older one is discontinued. Just make sure if you go to Toyota, to tell them you have an older Supra (I believe the newer ones are VVT-i). I don't know if it will make a difference, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Good luck
Old 01-23-08, 06:35 PM
Kruso
Driver

Just found out guys, its 10 bolts. I'll try and post the links when I get home.
Old 01-23-08, 08:47 PM
turbohye
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Kruso
Just found out guys, its 10 bolts. I'll try and post the links when I get home.
Ahhh, so did your friend have a 92+ sc300 or 97+ ??????????
Old 01-24-08, 06:20 AM
Kruso
Driver

Waiting on absolute confirmation before posting guys.

I just spoke with Mike at Champion Toyota (awesome guys!) who was nice enough to pull out the OEM 1992 2JZGE for SC300 out of the box and physically count the bolt holes and both the 2JZGTE and 2JZGE that year have 10 holes. This is first hand info, more then welcome to contact Champions @ 800-327-2087.

Kruso

Last edited by Kruso; 01-24-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-24-08, 11:51 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thats what i meant earlier. the older 2jzge had 10 bolt pumps and new...97+ i think, had 11 bolt pumps.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Holes 10 or 11?