Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stalling briefly, electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 07:08 AM
VVhite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stalling briefly, electrical problem?

Hey guys im brand new to the site. Just got my 95 sc300 about a week ago and was getting ready to post in the "new members" thread but then this poped up.

So I get in the car this morning to go to work, start it and let it sit for about a minute. Its pretty cold, somewhere around 45. When I step on the brake to put it in drive, everything shuts off(dash lights, radio, engine) for about a second, then when it comes back on, my ABS light stays on for about 4 seconds. Then I take it on the road and turn on my headlights and it stalls again(again, just for a second), so its not just when im idle. It does it a third time when im turning and my blinker turns itself off(but didnt stall when i turned the blinker on). All three times happened within the first 5 minutes of driving(before the car warmed up), it was fine after that. The car had been running flawlessly before this. Help please
Old 01-16-08, 09:02 AM
VVhite
Driver School Candidate

Is this the wrong forum for this? Dont think it falls under maintenance.

Anyway, update. Did alittle trial and error with turning everything on and off, turns out the foglights being on have a huge effect. With headlights and foglights on, if i step on the brake everything goes dead until I lift off. And, with the foglights on, if I turn the headlights on and off everything goes out(same as in the first example). With the foglight switch off though it seems like everything works fine(only tested for a few minutes on break). If it is the foglights, why is it just now causing a problem; ive left the foglight switch on since I got the car.
Old 01-16-08, 11:39 AM
l Black l
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the battery to make sure it's not just that easy? Also, check your fuses to make sure that they are all the correct size. I can't say that I've had this experience before, but those are my basic thoughts. Anyone else have a better suggestion?
Old 01-16-08, 04:11 PM
VVhite
Driver School Candidate

Finaly had some time to get under the hood and look around. Turns out it actualy was the battery connectors. Good thing it was something simple.