Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Found what's squealing [Pic]

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 04:31 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found what's squealing [Pic]

When I start my car I hear a squealing sound; also while revving. After lubricating my serpentine belt and having it replaced, I finally found what's wrong. The belt seems to be rubbing the engine because the grooves on the crank pulley are warn flat... The rusted spot is where the belt SHOULD be. I will be getting this fixed asap.

Old 01-15-08, 04:32 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

wow...glad you found out while it was still early enough...
Old 01-15-08, 05:05 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Default Agree..kinda

Troysc300,
I saw you're post in the other thread I replied to about 32sc's issue. Seems like the same issue. Just replace the serpentine tensioner pulley and you should be good to go. The grooves worn down on the crank sounds a little weird. Even if that did happen the shoulders on the crank pulley would keep it in the proper place. I would check the position of the water pump, pwr steering and a/c pulleys to diagnose the aft track of your belt. Hope that works for you.
Old 01-15-08, 06:34 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
wow...glad you found out while it was still early enough...
nothing would happen if that belt broke.... his powersteering water pump and alternator wont spin but nothing severe.....
Old 01-15-08, 07:30 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have seen a 97 sc300 with a crank pulley that did not have any ribs. the pulley was flat. in that case just get a new crank pulley.
Old 01-15-08, 09:57 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is a picture of the tensioner pulley. its supposed to be flat. no grooves. that's normal. crank pulley is below that. if the crank pulley looks flat, the harmonic balancer ring most likely rusted and fell off. happened to me and a couple of others on the forum. get that replaced asap.
Old 01-15-08, 10:16 PM
forcefed86
Pole Position

So first off like said above that is your tensioner pulley not your crank pulley. It is suppose to be smooth. Note how it rides on the back of the smooth belt?

Second why would you ever lube a belt? You sprayed PB blaster on the thing and you wonder why it squeals? Looks like the belt in the pic is fairly new from the pic judging by the ribs. But the top of the belt looks shot from all the slipping and PB blaster breaks down rubber. U need another one. Also belt dressing is garbage, don't use it.

Remove the belt, clean all your pulleys with a good degreaser. Carb cleaner or alcohol etc. Make sure all your pulleys are oil free (COMPLETLY! can't stress enough how annoying that pb blaster is gonna be to get out of those pulley ribs. It has to be completly grease free!) and install a new belt. Your problem will be fixed...

Last edited by forcefed86; 01-15-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 10:36 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

So because the harmonic balancer ring fell off, the belt is rubbing against the motor?
Old 01-16-08, 10:52 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lol, u guys are funny. That is the tensioner pulley. It should always be flat because it rubs against the backside (or smooth side) or the belt.
Do not replace it with a ribbed pulley unless you are trying to see how fast you can shread a belt.

your issue is alignment, most probably due to a different pulley or someone removed the pulley and did not put it back on correctly. hope it helps.
Old 01-16-08, 01:57 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a new harmonic balancer pulley. Your harmonic balancer is made of 2 pieces. Over time the rubber in between them will start to tear, and squeal every time you start your car or put extra load on it like your ac. The reason the belt look like its not center is because the harmonic balancer pulley wobbles when it starts to separate. Take off your harmonic balancer and inspect it. Mine did the same thing lasted a few months then one day I was driving and heard a loud thump under the car. Pulled over and saw the metal ring of the harmonic balancer laying on the ground. Luckily The belt stayed on the inter ring and I made it home. The harmonic balancer from lexus cost me around $330 I think. Please inspect it because if it breaks and it throws your belt off it wont be turning your water pump, or alt.
Old 01-16-08, 02:28 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Good info man thanks! I remember hearing a thump also. Is the harmonic balancer something I could buy used from Aliga or does it have to be new?
Old 01-16-08, 03:47 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If you go used it is part of the crank pulley. I assume you buy the entire pulley.
Old 01-16-08, 04:52 PM
jm94tt
Driver School Candidate

http://https://www.clublexus.com/for...d.php?t=328492
Old 01-16-08, 05:31 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Buy it new because you dont know the condition of a used pulley. With a new one you wont have to worry about it for a long time. Also the harmonic balancer is the crank pulley. Its only 1 piece, but when it breaks it will be in 2 pieces. Or for $410 you can get the BL lighten crank pulley.
Old 01-17-08, 10:45 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
that is a picture of the tensioner pulley. its supposed to be flat. no grooves. that's normal. crank pulley is below that. if the crank pulley looks flat, the harmonic balancer ring most likely rusted and fell off. happened to me and a couple of others on the forum. get that replaced asap.
Bingo. Its happened twice to me.

Quick Reply: Found what's squealing [Pic]