Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Write up on SC300 Clutch 56K=No No!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 11:40 PM
Belement
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Write up on SC300 Clutch 56K=No No!

So I finally had a day off work and got my new clutch in (Center Force Dual Friction Clutch) Im gonna try to do a little bit of a right up on doing the clutch since theres not much on doing one, srry for the pics missing alot of the middle but the battery died. Ne way my dad and I did the job and we started out disconnecting the battery.

After that I pulled the center console apart to get to the shifter. Easy to do (Pull the cup holder up showing 2 screws after that grab the bezel on the outside of the shifter boot, pull up unclipping the clips around it, and also revealing 4 more screws. Now open the center console and start pulling that main trim ring, the one that has the volume and climate **** in it and easy it off from near the cup holder up to the climate control. Disconnect wires that are needed such as heated seats, both *****.

Now you will find if u push back the rubber boot around the shifter 4 screws take them out, then under them 4 more screws I used a wrench for them cause I couldnt get a ratchet in there. Now the shifter comes out.

Next under the car getting the drive train down, you do not need to take the exhaust off it may make things easier but in my case everything exhaust wise was rusted and didnt want to deal with that, I started by removing the brace near the differential it has 4 bolts 2 on each side. After this there is a piece of heat shielding at the mid of the car that has a hole on one side, it has either 4 or 6 nuts on studs take those off and remove the heat shielding. This exposes another brace where a pillow bearing (might be the wrong name) it has 2 bolts 1 on each side drop those. Now at the rear differential there is 2 propeller ends that are sandwiching a rubber puck and has 6 bolts in it, using a screw driver to stop it from moving I used a wrench and ratchet and took them out. Once out I again used a screw driver and hammer to losing it up once it was free I pulled it back off the shaft and away from the trans letting it hang once i had room.

The pillow brace (correct me)

Drive shaft disconnected from 6 bolts

Drive shaft pulled back from trans side (note no trans in )

Now back up to the trans

I disconnected the reverse lights and speedometer cable, I also pulled the salve cinder outta the way, removed the ground.

After this we worked on the starter and pulled that back outta the way and started to pull the bolts around the bell housing total of i believe 12 which does in fact take some swivels and 2 to 3 ft of extensions and a breaker bar. All done with that, We pulled back a bit of the trans and find a support for the trans that has 4 bolts on it.

We took 2 out and loosed the other 2. Then brought the jack in and raised the trans up and took the other 2 bolts out, then rocked it back and fourth, up and down and rotated it.. damn thing didnt wanna come out... after some muscle and a temper tantrum it comes down on the jack and out.

After a victory dance we get back under the car and turn to the clutch and flywheel. Clutch has 6 bolts, broke all of them loose then took them out by hand, once all were out we prayed the clutch off the pins and like magic I almost get hit in the face with it. The flywheel is pretty straight forward 8 bolts, we used a bolt that we put back in the bell housing and a flat head screw driver to prop the flywheel from moving then with breaker bay or ratchet we took all of the bolts out and pop it comes off.

Now rinse and repeat

Im no guru so if there is something I didnt go over someone let others know

Another thing we did is marked which way the fly wheel was on and also how the propeller shaft was. Not really sure if it is necessary but good to do.

Last edited by Belement; 05-21-08 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 11:46 PM
Belement
Driver

Show you what I did to the old clutch

Inside of trans bell housing

Old Clutch and Plate I really wore it out :P Drifting is a addiction what can i say

Flywheel before resurfacing

The new clutch

Will have the flywheel hopefully resurfaced tomorrow (Saturday.. NAPA better have someone to resurfacing it)and have it together by tomorrow night

Last edited by Belement; 05-21-08 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-12-08, 12:39 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

no pics for me =(
Old 01-12-08, 11:01 AM
Belement
Driver

ne one else having issues with the pics?
Old 01-12-08, 11:56 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

holy jesus rust! wow! im glad mine isn't that bad. do they put alot of road salt on the ground in Indiana? anyway nice write up on the clutch, i think you will like it a lot, mine works good!
Old 01-12-08, 01:12 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

nice job son!
Old 01-13-08, 10:25 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

sigh...my flywheel looks like that but it wont engage the starter... WTF !@#$!@#%^!@#^!@#$
Old 01-14-08, 12:18 AM
breed
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice install Belement, so did you do anything special to get the tranny back in? Please Tell?

Baoser: you need to take pic's and post that ish, I have searched on Hella forums about our lil Delima and found jack *****.

Any Luck Roger?
Old 01-14-08, 04:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

great writeup

you mentioned disconnecting speed sensor and reverse lights could you show me a pic with the plug from the harness that plugs into the tranny plug to activate reverse lights

i did auto to 5sp swap and dont know which plug to tap into
Old 01-14-08, 09:17 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great writeup and pics!

What I would suggest if you have an old car (92), then i wouldnt try and disconnect the DS from the differential. I tried with a breaker bar, air tools, and still couldn't get the bolts out. What I did was disconnect the front half of the driveshaft from the rear half, much easier.

Also, note that the W58 is a light trans, and you can drop it onto your chest, i've done this under the car, I've also put it back into place, but that's another hassle. It's good to pivot the engine when putting the trans back, so it lines up better with the dowel pins.
Old 01-14-08, 01:08 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good write up..wished this here 2 weeks ago, it took me 4 days total just to do the whole clutch swap mostly by myself (Spec Stage 3 - 6 puck btw), also had to work on dirt and rocks only, no smooth surface here besides cardboard... ..and i had to waste about another $400 just to buy an air compressor, impact wrench and other miscellaneous b/c i couldn't get the danm driveshaft bolts off the rear differential..just broken in the clutch yesterday and full throttle it..nice...
Old 01-14-08, 01:12 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tavarish
Also, note that the W58 is a light trans, and you can drop it onto your chest, i've done this under the car, I've also put it back into place, but that's another hassle. It's good to pivot the engine when putting the trans back, so it lines up better with the dowel pins.
the transmission was diffenatly not light..i had to have someone help me put it on a floor jack and then jack it up, i think that was one of the hardest part for me...
Old 01-14-08, 01:29 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

W58 is definitely a light transmission. i took it in and out of the car on my own. if you think thats heavy try lifting a R154 and 300zx trans.

good luck finishing the car. and after you break in the clutch i wanna see some burnout videos
Old 01-14-08, 01:32 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The W58 is really lightweight dude, my 140 lb. friend was able to carry it around by himself *and* bench press it up onto the motor. My Dual Friction couldn't handle the power the car is apparently making though so it's coming back out for a 6-puck before too long.

The hardest part for my friend and I was breaking the bolts loose that hold the driveshaft to the diff, everything else went pretty smoothly.
Old 01-15-08, 04:36 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

i guess the reason why it felt so heavy was maybe b/c my car wasn't high enough off the ground and i know for a fact that i'm not that weak..last time i bench press was 225lb..

Quick Reply: Write up on SC300 Clutch 56K=No No!